Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's so great about American Express?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tell me why you love your AMEX ...

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I have no idea where you guys go, but I've literally only been told twice in my life that amex isn't accepted.

If you travel outside the US there are lots of places.

Message 81 of 259
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

For me, “prestige” has nothing to do with it. Being completely honest, I feel more “proud” of a card if it’s physically pretty lol (I’m looking at you, Disco.)

I like Amex because the customer service is awesome, the limits can grow so fast, and the rewards work well for my spending. I have the BCE for reference. Also, SP for CLIs and even new approvals is great. Amex also has a lot of options for everybody. Also, the Plan It feature is a great idea should it ever become necessary. 

I have no qualms with Amex. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 82 of 259
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
^^^^^^^^ What???? Lol

There is a restaurant right next to the Panamá Canal. Awesome experience to eat dinner on the second level outdoor deck while watching the ships transit between the two great oceans. They don’t take American Express. 

Small restaurants in Europe often don’t take Amex

Costco no AMEX. Many utility companies and other on line payments can’t be made with Amex. 

I am a fan of Amex, but one has to be realistic.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 83 of 259
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just as an FYI the Citi DC does allow you to direct deposit into an account, but yes...there is the $25 minimum redemption.
Message 84 of 259
jbestman007
Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

For me, it's mainly 2 reasons:

1. Their cards aren't the easiest to get. Amex has a rputation of being very conservative.

2. They have amongst the most generous CLI scheme.

Other than that, there's nothing special about them. Their customer service and rewards are exceptionally average, athough their travel products seem to be good (don't have any of them yet).

I know they have this reputation of being exclusive or elite with the general public, but I find Amex cards are easy to get relative to some of the other banks.

Just want to point out that the reason why the impression is out there is because AmEx is actually harder to get. The most common mistake some people make here on this forum is they believe the general public are comparing banks. They are not. When you go buy something, they usually ask the question, "are you paying with a Visa or Mastercard" not "are you paying with Chase or Barclays".

When it comes to the networks, there is a higher minimum requirement to get an AmEx. In other words, Credit One and Premier Bank cards are not running on the AmEx network any time soon. So, fortunately, for those that have AmEx cards, when they bring out their cards to pay for stuff, there is a correct assumption that they have their credit in order. Conversely, due to subprime lenders spitting out cards on the Visa and Mastercard networks to anyone that can spell their name correctly, the same blanket respect is not afforded to every Visa or Mastercard user. 

Of course, if you go to establishments that know about specific banks and their reserved cards, you will get treated accordingly. I am just speaking from from a general use perspective. AmEx is just more respected than Visa and MasterCard and it won't ever change as long as the minimum requirement to get one is to not have committed a felony in the last month. 

Message 85 of 259
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@jbestman007 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

For me, it's mainly 2 reasons:

1. Their cards aren't the easiest to get. Amex has a rputation of being very conservative.

2. They have amongst the most generous CLI scheme.

Other than that, there's nothing special about them. Their customer service and rewards are exceptionally average, athough their travel products seem to be good (don't have any of them yet).

I know they have this reputation of being exclusive or elite with the general public, but I find Amex cards are easy to get relative to some of the other banks.

Just want to point out that the reason why the impression is out there is because AmEx is actually harder to get. The most common mistake some people make here on this forum is they believe the general public are comparing banks. They are not. When you go buy something, they usually ask the question, "are you paying with a Visa or Mastercard" not "are you paying with Chase or Barclays".

When it comes to the networks, there is a higher minimum requirement to get an AmEx. In other words, Credit One and Premier Bank cards are not running on the AmEx network any time soon. So, fortunately, for those that have AmEx cards, when they bring out their cards to pay for stuff, there is a correct assumption that they have their credit in order. Conversely, due to subprime lenders spitting out cards on the Visa and Mastercard networks to anyone that can spell their name correctly, the same blanket respect is not afforded to every Visa or Mastercard user. 

Of course, if you go to establishments that know about specific banks and their reserved cards, you will get treated accordingly. I am just speaking from from a general use perspective. AmEx is just more respected than Visa and MasterCard and it won't ever change as long as the minimum requirement to get one is to not have committed a felony in the last month. 

Hear, hear! And welcome to MyFICO.

I hadn't thought of it this way, but it makes perfectly good sense.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 86 of 259
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What's so great about American Express?

I know this thread is a couple weeks old but to add to the points made, the cobrand Delta cards are easy to get, and I think in part that’s because their target market finds them valuable but if you don’t fly Delta often they likely are pretty bland. I got it because I could at the time. It got me in and I was then able to get additional cards that really benefit me well, such as Gold and BCP.

I think it was @ShadowFactor last year who posted about Amex saving his bacon in the Caribbean when he was caught in hurricane weather that was rapidly destroying the place he was staying. Car was flooded, water rising on the building, and no vacancy anywhere. Amex arranger a room in a safe place (which he had called and was told there was no room) and they waived any cash advance fees for a week or two from the point of that call, told him “don’t worry about it, just be safe.”

I’ll see if I can find the thread - it was a pretty great read. That would be enough to cement me in with them if I wasn’t already.
Message 87 of 259
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What's so great about American Express?

Here it is:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/American-Express-really-came-through-for-me-tonight/m-...

Edit - looks like it may have been shared or referenced on a previous page. Sorry!
Message 88 of 259
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

6% back on groceries

I forgot AMEX also has the best false advertising.   Man LOL    Heart

If you do the math it has a variable % earned depending on spend.

With the max reaching 4.4%.

Excellent example of misleading customers, it is not a 6% card.

"Amex_BCP1_32.png".png

Message 89 of 259
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@FicoGuy2019 wrote:

No point in bashing their cards or any cards honestly, just don't get it if it's not for you. 

Yes only get cards that work for you !

However learning the good and bad about cards and issuers is found in the bashing on this forum.

I throw in my opinion and some might consider it bashing.

See my previous post !

Entertaining to read in the morning with my coffee.

I have learned about a couple "Nice" features AMEX cards have and maybe others have learned some  "Shortcomings".

All cards have both, and reading the issuers web pages and advertising don't give you both sides.

Message 90 of 259
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.