cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's so great about American Express?

tag
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Re: What's so great about American Express?

I used CAP and submitted multiple applications for the Gold Card in July. I wasn't prequalified for it, or for anything else, at the time. Granted, that was a weird situation that probably doesn't include any useful information for other applicants. I haven't even ever explained just how weird it got (I had a conversation with the CEO of Amex ...)

But, I was referring to the prequalification I started seeing in August for the Delta Gold card. I applied based on prequalification and was denied. I should note, I did not see "KJ, you are preapproved!" when I clicked to apply. I called and requested reconsideration. A week later, I got a letter in the mail saying they stood by the denial. The day I received the letter, I happened to click Apply on the Marriott Bonvoy card. I wasn't really planning to apply, I was just looking around. I noticed for the first time "KJ, you are preapproved!" at the top of the page. I stared at it for a minute, then went to the Delta Gold card and clicked Apply. Same thing, "KJ, you are preapproved!" Every cobrand credit card said the same thing. Core cards still said "KJ, applying to expand your membership with us is easy" or whatever. I went incognito and checked prequalifications, and Delta Gold showed up. I applied and was approved. The next day, I checked prequalifications, and there was nothing listed. I checked preapprovals, and all the cobrand cards still showed preapproval. I applied for a Hilton card and was approved.

So, I don't think that was due to the CAP and other craziness that taints my DPs on the Gold Card. I honestly do not think that prequalification relates to credit scoring, at least not very much. That said, most people who prequalify probably also would be preapproved, because most people with solid income who would be interested in applying for an Amex probably have decent credit. For anyone with doubts, though, I would caution against taking prequalification seriously. I think preapproval is where it's at with Amex. Prequalification is just for possibly better SUBs, in my opinion.

The caveat is, though, that I can only speak to my personal experience, which may be unusual in some ways ... YMMV.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 251 of 259
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know right now isn't the best time for me to get a card with all the new accounts, checked the pre qualify again and still a big 0. I just wanna see 1 prequalify just to say they dont dislike me for whatever reason. Maybe when I come out the garden in the summer I'll see some, who knows...
Message 252 of 259
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just received my letter for my cancellation of my Ed card application. It simply states I have received to many AMEX cards in a short period of time. 2/90. Since I'm pre approved both logged in and out with the 25k MR'S, I'm fairly certain if I apply after the 90 days I'll be accepted.
Op if you haven't applied in a few months id definitely give it another try. It took me a year and a half and 5 hard pulls to get in with amex. But now that I'm in it has already saved me hard pulls. I'm not sure of your age of oldest card but they denied me until my oldest card was exactly 1 year.
Message 253 of 259
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think once you are in with them they don't care about new accounts etc. But first approval may be more concerned about new applications. Reason I say is dw had a few new accounts 6 months ago 660 FICO, 2 collection denied. Then a few days ago (hasn't applied for anything over 7 months)approved 649 FICO, 3 collection. All medical
Message 254 of 259
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dtk6802 - was her approval a cold app or off a pre qualify?
Message 255 of 259
Anonymous
Not applicable

as soon as i got a fico score i was pre-approved for every card amex has, they don't seem to care how long your history is. you might even be able to get approved with less than 6mo of history, but you'd probably have to cold-app without a prequal that early. if your score is good and you don't have tons of inqs and new accounts you should be approved.

when i got my card, the pre-approval signup bonus was less than the max offer, so i apped using incognito and got $50 more.

Message 256 of 259
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creds - I apped earlier this year in February i believe with all scores above 700, way less inquiries and probably 6-8 accounts I have now and no love. Applied for the gold card I believe, 3 mths later, the delta and in july the BCE and denied ever time. Maybe they dont want me with their card I guess. It's rather unusual saying is tho I got navy and discover with a much worse file not to mention all the shares here about getting nice cards and limits with first approvals from people with much thinner and/or worse files..... Went in last night to check pre qualify with income(which is over 200k and still nothin......
Message 257 of 259
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is odd. I wish you luck.

The only other thing I can think of is she my DW is an AU on my 3 amex cards 2 are biz....
My last denial in March/19. before my May approval with Amex I had credit limits on Prime cards up to 5000, 730 or so FICO, less than 7 percent utilization and really was surprised by denial.
With your situation it does seem like something is standing between you and an Amex approval but certainly doesn't seem like it's your stats. Who knows. But like you said you have prime cards that work for you so that's all that matters.
On another note..
I've considered the rakuten visa for 3x MR'S at least online purchases. But I got 2x MR'S with BBP. I shop a ton with rakuten, I've gained 7500 MR'S since June. I can't help but think that # could be closer to 10k MR'S if I had the rakuten card. But more importantly I think the smart move is keep the spend on my Amex, Discover, Citi cards.
Either way I've had to talk myself out of the Ebates card the past two days. I wonder if it ever offers extra offers like more rewards for certain purchases. Like amex offers. Haven't found enough value to apply yet.
Plus my synchrony store cards just went from huge CLI on both cards to only getting 1k cli on Walmart and 0 on Amazon. Maybe I've hit my limit with them for now. Not even sure if they have the same underwriters for store and visa cards.
Message 258 of 259
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @dtk6802. Definitely surprising to say the least. Maybe I have a card that they dont want me with.......once I come out the garden next year we'll see how they treat me then
Message 259 of 259
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.