Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's so great about CSP?

tag
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

What's so great about CSP?

I have it on my want list, but I realized I wasn't really sure why I want it.  I mean, it's essentially a 1% card that gives you 2% on restaurants.  And if you don't travel (I don't), it's useless.  I like the fact that when you call customer service, you're connected to a CSR right away, though.  Despite all that, I still want it.  I just don't know why.

I saw one the other day, and it looked cool as hell.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
red259
Super Contributor

Re: What's so great about CSP?

@thelethargicage wrote:

I have it on my want list, but I realized I wasn't really sure why I want it.  I mean, it's essentially a 1% card that gives you 2% on restaurants.  And if you don't travel (I don't), it's useless.  I like the fact that when you call customer service, you're connected to a CSR right away, though.  Despite all that, I still want it.  I just don't know why.

I want one for travel and restaurants. It allows points to be transferred to their various airline/hotel partners, no foreign fees etc. It has benefits for rental cars and some other features I value through visa signature. That being said if I wasn't going to travel I would look for a cash back card (without an AF) instead, because what's the point of getting a card with an AF if its not going to benefit your needs. Its good you are being honest with yourself about your needs in a credit card, instead of running out and applying for something just because its the latest hot item.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 2 of 22
ElCamino
Contributor

The CSP is only half of the equation. To really get the full benefits you want to transfer UR points earned from the Freedom. Also, the sign up bonus.

Amex BCE: $16.5k, Discover It: $5k, Chase Freedom Visa: $10k, Fidelity Amex: $7.5k, PenFed Cash Rewards Visa: $3.5k, CapOne Union Plus MC: $4.5k, Barclays Upromise MC: $5k, BoA Cash Rewards 123 MC: $1.5k
Message 3 of 22
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:

Yeah. I applied for them just because I liked how the card looked. I decided to get the regular because I knew I wouldn't use it enough to justify the AF. And the card is pretty useless for me. I stopped eating out so much because it was really draining my pockets. I just app'd for the Freedom and that card will be a lot more beneficial for me.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 4 of 22
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

You can use the card to scrape ice from your car windows. 

OK, I live in Florida so I really don't know if that works. 

Message 5 of 22
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

You can use the card to scrape ice from your car windows. 

OK, I live in Florida so I really don't know if that works. 

LOL!

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 6 of 22
kilj0y
Regular Contributor

I am about to work the trinity, CSP, Ink, Freedom and transfer to the CSP for travel. I do not travel much but after the sign on bonuses and regular spend on the cards I have enough for a roundtrip ticket plus hotel stay for me and the wife for free.

Message 7 of 22
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:

It's M E T A L. Smiley Very Happy

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 8 of 22
GeneralCucumbre
Regular Contributor

@ElCamino wrote:
The CSP is only half of the equation. To really get the full benefits you want to transfer UR points earned from the Freedom. Also, the sign up bonus.

Yes, this is a wonderful feature to have because I use my Freedom for pretty much everything except for purchases that other cards will reward me better for (CSP, Discover It, AMEX BCE, etc.)  Now, take for example, this past quarter, Chase has offered 5% cash back on all restaurant purchases.  I have primarily used my Freedom card for that instead of CSP which only offers 2%.  When this quarter is over though and Chase starts a round of new categories for the Freedom, I will revert to my CSP on all restaurant purchases because the yielding reward is better.  Yet, I can combine ALL of my points earned from both cards into one...EXCELLENT FEATURE.

@hutchj wrote:
I decided to get the regular because I knew I wouldn't use it enough to justify the AF. And the card is pretty useless for me. I stopped eating out so much because it was really draining my pockets. I just app'd for the Freedom and that card will be a lot more beneficial for me.

That makes sense, if you are not going to use it for what it was meant for...then yes I couldn't justify the annual fee.  However, I am a person who eats out quite often (and yes, it can get expensive) and do travel from time to time.  So, original poster, if you cannot justify the annual fee for what you are going to be using the card for...then I wouldn't recommend it.  I wouldn't get the card just because it looks cool...apparently some people believe that the metal plating inside the card is supposed to give some level of prestige to the cardholder, which I can assure you...it doesn't.

AMEX Green Corporate - NPSL | AMEX Everyday - $60,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa Signature - $49,500 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - $27,300 | USAA Platinum Visa - $26,000
Message 9 of 22
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

@GeneralCucumbre wrote:

@ElCamino wrote:

Yes, this is a wonderful feature to have because I use my Freedom for pretty much everything except for purchases that other cards will reward me better for (CSP, Discover It, AMEX BCE, etc.)  Now, take for example, this past quarter, Chase has offered 5% cash back on all restaurant purchases.  I have primarily used my Freedom card for that instead of CSP which only offers 2%.  When this quarter is over though and Chase starts a round of new categories for the Freedom, I will revert to my CSP on all restaurant purchases because the yielding reward is better.  Yet, I can combine ALL of my points earned from both cards into one...EXCELLENT FEATURE.

@hutchj wrote:
I decided to get the regular because I knew I wouldn't use it enough to justify the AF. And the card is pretty useless for me. I stopped eating out so much because it was really draining my pockets. I just app'd for the Freedom and that card will be a lot more beneficial for me.

That makes sense, if you are not going to use it for what it was meant for...then yes I couldn't justify the annual fee.  However, I am a person who eats out quite often (and yes, it can get expensive) and do travel from time to time.  So, original poster, if you cannot justify the annual fee for what you are going to be using the card for...then I wouldn't recommend it.  I wouldn't get the card just because it looks cool...apparently some people believe that the metal plating inside the card is supposed to give some level of prestige to the cardholder, which I can assure you...it doesn't.

Yeah, at first I was getting lots of points because I was always eating out, but I put myself on a budget and that budget did not include eating out for lunch everyday and eating out for dinner every weekend, lol. But when I do eat out, I use the Sapphire card because it gives rewards and my debit card does not.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.