Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's so great about Capital One?

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: What's so great about Capitol One?

$500 for $3k spend and 2 HPs.

I signed up for Postmates, but the credit is of less clear value for me. The "service fee" eats up most of the savings from "free" delivery.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 21 of 138
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Might as well just Smorg it now because it’s obviously not going to get back on track and be a useful thread. 😡 

Sorry Saeren, I think you're right. I'm going to go back and post an honest answer.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 22 of 138
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's in people's wallets, per Jennifer Garner. 

Well, she married Ben

Do you trust her judgement? 

But he was Batman, so that's a point for her (even if he was the WORST). 

Message 23 of 138
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Yes it will @Anonymous Here...

One thing i find great about Cap One , and this coming from someone with no experience but observance, is there quick willingness to forgive being burned . Its amazing to see how quick a person obtains a Cap One card after including them in bk or charge off. How many lenders do that?

I mean it’s not like it’s some altruistic thing, they know in the case of BK they can sue you and they won’t hesitate to do so but it’s definitely good that they continue to give people a chance regardless. 

Message 24 of 138
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

I am a bit old (to be precise, I'm 48) and probably a bit traditional or stuck in the mud, but to me, Chase, Amex and Citi are the established "blueblood" brands, and Capital One is an attention-seeking upstart, like a whiteshoe law firm vs an ambulance-chasing firm with a lot of TV ads. Not trying to bother anybody, just trying to explain my perception clearly. Not saying my perception is correct or that it matters, but that is how I look at it. That said, I had a Cap 1 secured card for a while, and never had a problem with it. Come to think of it, I never spoke with anyone at Cap 1, but I didn't need to. They set it up properly, and their app provides all the tools you need. I closed it after realizing that it would never unsecure. There are no Cap 1 cards I particularly want, but I'll probably end up with another one at some point just for variety.

P.S. I like Jennifer Garner. Ben Affleck should realize his great good fortune.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 25 of 138
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I ❤️ cap1 (should be a bumper sticker). I've never had problems with them. Everything just works. They're reliable for everything including when they post payments. And everyone needs to get over the triple pull. Nobody gets mad at other big banks doing double pulls. You all act like they hit you on 1 bureau. If 1 inquiry on each report is gonna derail your credit plans, you should rethink your plans.

Message 26 of 138
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@KJinNC wrote:

I am a bit old (to be precise, I'm 48) and probably a bit traditional or stuck in the mud, but to me, Chase, Amex and Citi are the established "blueblood" brands, and Capital One is an attention-seeking upstart, like a whiteshoe law firm vs an ambulance-chasing firm with a lot of TV ads. Not trying to bother anybody, just trying to explain my perception clearly. Not saying my perception is correct or that it matters, but that is how I look at it. That said, I had a Cap 1 secured card for a while, and never had a problem with it. Come to think of it, I never spoke with anyone at Cap 1, but I didn't need to. They set it up properly, and their app provides all the tools you need. I closed it after realizing that it would never unsecure. There are no Cap 1 cards I particularly want, but I'll probably end up with another one at some point just for variety.

P.S. I like Jennifer Garner. Ben Affleck should realize his great good fortune.

I'd have put Citi roughly on par with Amex and Chase a few years ago (better in some ways, worse in others). But after their nerfs I'd call their cards a black-and-blue bloody mess.

Costco is worth keeping for now and the AA cards are good for bonuses and Admirals access. Maybe Capital One isn't any better, but it's Citi's new neighbor.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 27 of 138
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

I like Capital One, second only to Amex. This is when it comes to ease of use of their services, support, and their technology (for example, their machine learning tech when it comes to travel, which is on par with Amex i.e. no travel notices required). I look at them, as someone who does everything in front of a computer. I even bank with them.
Message 28 of 138
Anonymous
Not applicable

my savor has been a pretty nice card. When its not the food quarter for chase/disco I'll keep using it for sure.  They're decent with CLI's and you can do a lot through their site without having to deal with their service which is somewhere between comcast and discover in quality just to get in on the useless comment game.

The walmart card switch though? Rewards can't actually be worse than they presently are with synchrony can they? 

Message 29 of 138
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh yeah, I forgot something I really love about Capital One. Their Eno browser extension generates virtual credit card numbers for use on each individual website you go to. You can make them on the computer and then you can turn them on and off on the app. 

Heres my Hulu one for example. 

4CFB855A-F3D8-4C79-AFA9-DE253F7CBF7C.jpeg

As someone who has actually had to get new cards because of subscription services before (long story), I appreciate the fact I can turn them on and off with ease and the fact that I can make a card for a purchase on a website I’m not sure about and never have to worry about fraud. 

Message 30 of 138
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.