Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's so great about Capital One?

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: What's so great about Capitol One?

@Anonymous wrote:

my savor has been a pretty nice card. When its not the food quarter for chase/disco I'll keep using it for sure.  They're decent with CLI's and you can do a lot through their site without having to deal with their service which is somewhere between comcast and discover in quality just to get in on the useless comment game.

The walmart card switch though? Rewards can't actually be worse than they presently are with synchrony can they? 

You've never seen their Sony and PlayStation cards, have you? Can't wait for them to revamp them.

Message 31 of 138
GApeachy
Super Contributor

sigh....Joe

Never a dull momentHeart

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 32 of 138
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@staticvoidmain wrote:
I like Capital One, second only to Amex. This is when it comes to ease of use of their services, support, and their technology (for example, their machine learning tech when it comes to travel, which is on par with Amex i.e. no travel notices required). I look at them, as someone who does everything in front of a computer. I even bank with them.

Strong praise for a sockdrawered card!

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 33 of 138
Anonymous
Not applicable

cap1 was the first place that gave me a prequal when my scores came in. i almost got a card from them, but i didn't want the triple pull. the best thing about cap1 is that you know what your minimum credit line will be on most of their cards.

things to watch out for are that their secured card probably won't graduate. they keep playing games with that.

also, avoid the qs1 card. the fee probably cancels out any cashback you'd ever get.

Message 34 of 138
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@staticvoidmain wrote:
I like Capital One, second only to Amex. This is when it comes to ease of use of their services, support, and their technology (for example, their machine learning tech when it comes to travel, which is on par with Amex i.e. no travel notices required). I look at them, as someone who does everything in front of a computer. I even bank with them.

You can SD a card because you have cards that have better rewards and still praise the issuer for other positives. 

Message 35 of 138
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Less games than most other lenders.

Immediate cash-back redemption.

Great fraud prevention and web/app interface.

They were the first flat 1.5% cashback card.

They've been easy to deal with on most issues*.

Reasonable APR for rewards card (14.15% variable.)

+1 on the following:

@Saeren  wrote: "I don’t have much negative to say about Capital One personally. … I like how easy rewards are to redeem with their cards, customer service has always been good to me even when I had to file disputes, and they’re reliable. I always know if I use my Capital One card, my charges my will go through no problem."

staticvoidmain  wrote: "I like (the) ease of use of their services, support, and their technology."

Brian_Earl_Spilner  wrote:  "I ❤️ cap1 (should be a bumper sticker). I've never had problems with them. Everything just works. They're reliable for everything including when they post payments."

*My biggest gripe is lower than average starting limits and slow increases on credit lines with everything automated - no one you can talk to.  My Quicksilver started at only $1K limit when my other limits were much higher and it's taken many years to finally get it up to $22K.  

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 36 of 138
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One has a reputation of giving out cards to anyone, yet Citi and Chase give out more cards than Cap1 by a wide margin. All those people don't have good credit. Citi and Chase play in the subprime market too. The difference is Cap1 will give you a card after you have made catastrophic mistakes. Where are Citi and Chase want a significant amount of time to pass before they look at you again. Citi and Chase will generally accept those consumers on the way up (lower scores due to being young with not a lot of credit) not on the way down (lower scores due to credit mistakes).  Capital One says "hey we took our take write off lets move on". lol  (Amex also is a low score credit granter if you are new to credit)

To me the interesting thing about Cap1 now is they are in a weird place. They use to have a lot of practices that don't make sense in today's world that they have stopped. I see a lot of people who get denied because they think they are dealing with the same old Cap1. Their marketing can't overcome the thousands of websites that generally don't update giving people old info.

The main example is you use to be able to get multiple cards the same day. You could app for all their products and get 2-3 cards at once. As long as you score decrease after ever app still let you qualify you could. Now its one card every 6 months and one credit limit increase every 6 months. Then there is the perception that you can get any from them because they are the rebuilding lender. They try to address by saying right on the app "Excellent Credit". People just plow right through that.

They are also still pulling an ancient FICO version, I'm not sure why.

Message 37 of 138
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

You are a pot-stirrer, AJC Smiley Indifferent

What is so great about Capital One? For people with no or bad credit, Capital One will issue you an unsecured card with little to no fees. They are pretty honest and fair. Your other options are secured cards or the bottom feeder cards from Applied Bank, Credit One or First Premier. 

The Savor card is good and Quicksilver is a pretty straight forward 1.5% cash back card-though we all know there are better options now. Outside of that...very little is great about them. Build/Rebuild and then move on. 

Message 38 of 138
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@BearsCubsOtters wrote:

You are a pot-stirrer, AJC Smiley Indifferent

That he is, @BearsCubsOtters  

You learn fast, "New Member" Smiley Wink

Welcome to My Fico Forums!

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 39 of 138
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

True. Same with my Amex'es. However, I use them when travelling abroad, or when I have to make a potentially unsafe online purchase because I trust them more than my regular cards. I mean, PayPal and Uber are great and all, but Synchrony and Barclays are things I do not want to deal with.

Message 40 of 138
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.