Did you mean: 

What's so great about Capital One?

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: What's so great about Capitol One?

@Anonymous wrote:

@VPExecutive wrote:

The Savor and Savor one cards are excellent. The Venture is a decent card (if you redeem for the bonus categories). The Quicksilver is an average card that can be beat by other cash back cards, but the rewards are straight forward and post when the transactions post. Their app and website interface are very nice. Capital One was also one of the first to come out with contactless cards in the U.S. 

For many, Capital One was the only bank to give someone a chance when they were having a hard time rebuilding their credit after a bankruptcy or divorce. For many others, Capital One was the only one to not take AA and significantly reduce credit lines during economic hardship. 

If you can ignore the stupid things Capital One does (triple pull, uses Samuel Jackson as a commercial host, complete automation, and perhaps being denied a couple of times for ridculous reasons (like you aren't carrying a balance on your current cards) then they are a solid bank to do business with. 

I love Samuel L. Jackson 😂

"SAY IT AGAIN! SAY IT AGAIN! I DARE YOU MF!" Smiley Wink

Message 51 of 138
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meanmchine wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@VPExecutive wrote:

The Savor and Savor one cards are excellent. The Venture is a decent card (if you redeem for the bonus categories). The Quicksilver is an average card that can be beat by other cash back cards, but the rewards are straight forward and post when the transactions post. Their app and website interface are very nice. Capital One was also one of the first to come out with contactless cards in the U.S. 

For many, Capital One was the only bank to give someone a chance when they were having a hard time rebuilding their credit after a bankruptcy or divorce. For many others, Capital One was the only one to not take AA and significantly reduce credit lines during economic hardship. 

If you can ignore the stupid things Capital One does (triple pull, uses Samuel Jackson as a commercial host, complete automation, and perhaps being denied a couple of times for ridculous reasons (like you aren't carrying a balance on your current cards) then they are a solid bank to do business with. 

Try saying that in Crawford, Texas

What did he do to Crawford? The whole town doesn't like him? Lol

Message 52 of 138
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Jannelo wrote:

I kiss the ground Capital One walks on.  My credit report was horrible and still isn't great at all.  It was hard to face how low I had fallen.   It's a hopeless feeling.  Getting a $200 secured card that required no credit check was all I thought I would have for a while.  And there Cap One was to take me back in with open arms, all with two unpaid Cap One charge-offs sitting on their books.   With now two credit cards from them and a recent car loan with a very respectable interest rate for someone with the credit score I had, they gave me my dignity back, as I've said before.  I don't really care about huge credit limits at this point.  I care about building a solid history of on-time payments.  I started in the FICO "poor" category.  I'm now in the middle of the FICO "fair" category heading towards, hopefully, one day the "good" category.  And that's all because of Capital One.   I'm still treated like the ugly stepchild by all major credit card companies.  But not by Capital One.   So thanks, Capital One.  .  Some people forget where they came from in their rebuild process when they bash Cap One.  Even when I get on the other side of this one day, I will never forget.

This testimony alone is why I asked one poster not to call it Crap1. And he/she said okay. Cap1 has helped a lot of people when no one else would even crack the door open.  

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 53 of 138
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Have to agree with the mention of the Cafe.   With a Capital One card, 50% off Peets  which for some is really valuable.

They still have a reputation as a non-AA bank, but a few of us have been hit (35K Cl -> $10K, $20K card closed, both for insufficient use).

Message 54 of 138
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Meanmchine wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@VPExecutive wrote:

Try saying that in Crawford, Texas

What did he do to Crawford? The whole town doesn't like him? Lol

LOL

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 55 of 138
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Have to agree with the mention of the Cafe.   With a Capital One card, 50% off Peets  which for some is really valuable.

They still have a reputation as a non-AA bank, but a few of us have been hit (35K Cl -> $10K, $20K card closed, both for insufficient use).

Did the $35k card have an AF?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 56 of 138
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I don't think Capital One is "so great" really, but they're okay for a purpose. They tend to give people a second chance and are valuable for rebuilding. Once you are beyond rebuilding/starter card territory I don't think any of their products are really anything special. Savor isn't (IMO) worth the AF considering no AF dining cards out there, unless your entertainment spend (that actually qualifies for 4%) is truly huge. Venture is a 2% cash back card with an AF and restricted redemption. Quicksilver is just average, nothing special about it. One nice feature is no redemption threshold, which is always better than having to deal with one, but I don't think it makes them a must have bank. Like any bank/product out there, they have their place and certain people like them, and that's fine.

Message 57 of 138
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@staticvoidmain wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Strong praise for a sockdrawered card!

True. Same with my Amex'es. However, I use them when travelling abroad, or when I have to make a potentially unsafe online purchase because I trust them more than my regular cards. I mean, PayPal and Uber are great and all, but Synchrony and Barclays are things I do not want to deal with.

I don't use Barclays for anything complicated, in or out of the US. My only Synch card was a store-only Brooks Bros card (before the accounts moved to Citi). In 2015 I bought a "bundled" (yet as I discovered, incompatible) monitor and computer tower at Costco (online) with Arrival to hit the SUB. Fortunately the return only took 5 mins and I walked out of the warehouse with a check (thus keeping the CC transaction valid and retaining my $200 SUB).

Now it's just for small travel stuff (like tickets or gas) if a better card has any issues due to lacking a PIN. I like having most of my spend with issuers that give great rewards, benefits, and customer service...even if it comes with several AFs.

Message 58 of 138
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I don't think Capital One is "so great" really, but they're okay for a purpose. They tend to give people a second chance and are valuable for rebuilding. Once you are beyond rebuilding/starter card territory I don't think any of their products are really anything special. Savor isn't (IMO) worth the AF considering no AF dining cards out there, unless your entertainment spend (that actually qualifies for 4%) is truly huge. Venture is a 2% cash back card with an AF and restricted redemption. Quicksilver is just average, nothing special about it. One nice feature is no redemption threshold, which is always better than having to deal with one, but I don't think it makes them a must have bank. Like any bank/product out there, they have their place and certain people like them, and that's fine.

My idea of "entertainment" definitely does not match the Savor's definitions. For $500, I can be pretty forgiving about this. If I'd only gotten $300 I'd be less so.

Message 59 of 138
Summer16
Established Member

I will say CO gave me another chance after being burned with a Credit Card and Auto Loan.

But I'm closing my Quicksilver, Quicksilver One and Wal-Mart card at the end of this month.

The Quicksilver started off as a Platinum. I have been denied a CLI every year for three years. I'm still at the SL of $500.00. 

The Quicksilver One will be open a year in October. SL of $500.00 and credit steps increased the limit to $750.00. I guess the denials on the QS has me bitter because I'm not interested in requesting a CLI.

Wal-Mart has been open a little over a year at $500.00. A few months after opening the account I found out CO was taking over. After reading that, I had a flashback of previous CLI denials and decided not to pursue a CLI with Sync because I knew I would close this one too.

So CO helped me rebuild, which was great but I have other cards in my wallet.

Starting Fico 8 Scores (4/17): EQ: 510 EX: 510 TU: 525
Current Fico 8 Scores (9/19): EQ: 674 EX: 678 TU: 676
Gardening until 1/2021
Message 60 of 138
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.