What's so great about Chase?

tag
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: What's so great about Chase?

@FinStar wrote:

bertstare.jpg

Oh boy. This is the look my momma would give when one of us kids would—let her tell it—embarass her in public. You just knew the moment you got home, the switch was coming out. 😂🤣😆

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 21 of 88
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The Amazon Visa card, Sapphire cards & their mortgage rates are pretty good.

The Freedom is knock off of the Discover IT & the Unlimited is pretty mediocore.

Freedom was launched in 2006 and had 5% categories certainly by 2012 (see the list https://millionmilesecrets.com/news/chase-freedom-categories-2012/)

Discover IT launched  nationally 2013 (https://investorrelations.discover.com/newsroom/press-releases/press-release-details/2013/Discover-Launches-Game-Changing-New-It-Credit-Card/default.aspx)

So not a knock off.   + for those that can use URs, 5UR is very different than 5%

Message 22 of 88
Anonymous
Not applicable

My experience with Chase is kind of counter to the norm, which I didn’t realize until recently (and perhaps too late).

The Freedom was my first ever card (and my only open revolver until recently). I can’t remember my SL, but I think it was around $4k. I received a generous auto-CLI (or two) to $10k within about a year. A couple years later, I ran up a large balance and got a CLD to $8500. Surprisingly though, they didn’t balance chase me and have been very lenient with my high util/balance carrying throughout grad school.

They recently approved me for the CSP even though my credit score isn’t where it should be. Now that I know about Chase’s reputation, I’m bracing myself for AA. So that obviously sucks. But if they let me keep my accounts I’ll be a very loyal customer. They helped me get my start in credit, and I like the flexibility of their rewards program. I’m also a heavy Prime user, so I really hope to pick up the Prime Rewards card someday.
Message 23 of 88
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
My experience with Chase is kind of counter to the norm, which I didn’t realize until recently (and perhaps too late).

The Freedom was my first ever card (and my only open revolver until recently). I can’t remember my SL, but I think it was around $4k. I received a generous auto-CLI (or two) to $10k within about a year. A couple years later, I ran up a large balance and got a CLD to $8500. Surprisingly though, they didn’t balance chase me and have been very lenient with my high util/balance carrying throughout grad school.

They recently approved me for the CSP even though my credit score isn’t where it should be. Now that I know about Chase’s reputation, I’m bracing myself for AA. So that obviously sucks. But if they let me keep my accounts I’ll be a very loyal customer. They helped me get my start in credit, and I like the flexibility of their rewards program.

Just like every other lender, how they treat you will depend on how you use them. Despite what you read here, they really don't mind you carrying a balance if you can show it isn't an issue and your balances aren't volatile.

Message 24 of 88
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Echoing some of the comments shared by @longtimelurker, @CreditCuriosity + others, my history with Chase dates back to the days before they gobbled up all of the [depository/loan/CC] products that I had with First Chicago/NBD, Chase Manhattan, Chemical Bank, Bank One, First USA and WaMu. Yup, lots of eggs!

Overall, they've been a pretty good FI, but that doesn't mean they're perfect, far from it. There are still some areas that can merit some improvements.

Next to AmEx, they hold considerable value for my lifestyle and spend patterns on most of their CCs on both fronts (business and personal) inclusive of CCs in the UR ecosystem.

I don't think that I've ever sold my soul to them though, or that they hold themselves to a standard that's holier than thou, for instance. As mentioned further upthread, those kind of viewpoints tend to be skewed by a variety of comments here and elsewhere, IMO.
Message 25 of 88
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

They have some good cards but most find out after apping for 10 cards. Even if you can make them your second, third, or fouth choice, its an eggshell walk cause they jealous or get 2 Chase cards in six months.

Rant over
Message 26 of 88
iced
Valued Contributor

I thought about staying away, but I don't want to miss this party.

Chase isn't all things to all people, but for some of us, they fit very nicely. My personal takes on why I like Chase as a credit bank:

1. They're accomodating to me. I've never been denied an application or a CLI with them. There was even a time or two when they asked why I wanted a $10,000 CLI and I was like "It's Tuesday, that's all I got." and they're like "Cool. Here you go."

2. They align with my travel partners. I'm heavy into *A flying, and there's really nowhere I can't book an award flight to that I can't use UR for.

3. Their app works well and my cards with them integrate easily into Apple Pay.

4. Transactionally, their system is one of the best. Failures are nearly non-existant, the fraud detection works very well, and I know they'll work no matter where in the world I am.

5. Support's no better or worse than the others. Like American Express, they love to blow sunshine up my backside when I call. Unlike American Express, they'll fulfill my requests rather than give me a runaround.

My take on the tension is if they didn't have 5/24, most of this forum would fawn over them, but because they tell churners to pound sand people get in a huff, cross their arms, and basically start justifying to themselves that either they're not all that or other people are irrational for liking them to make them feel better about their own rejection. It reminds me of how some men act when a woman turns down their advances.

Message 27 of 88
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@AverageJoesCredit   you misspelled Penfed Smiley Surprised

Message 28 of 88
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Umm ... worth 1.25x to me for travel. I kinda like them.

Capture.GIF 

Message 29 of 88
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

The only thing I covet of Chase is their CSP with $505 SUB!! Then “Account Closed at Consumer Request” on the 23rd month!

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 30 of 88
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.