Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's so great about Chase?

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: What's so great about Chase?

@kilroy8 wrote:

Umm ... worth 1.25x to me for travel. I kinda like them.

Capture.GIF 

You do realize that they're worthless until you actually redeem them, right? 😆 You should buy a phone with those.

Message 31 of 88
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The Amazon Visa card, Sapphire cards & their mortgage rates are pretty good.

The Freedom is knock off of the Discover IT & the Unlimited is pretty mediocore.

Freedom was launched in 2006 and had 5% categories certainly by 2012 (see the list https://millionmilesecrets.com/news/chase-freedom-categories-2012/)

Discover IT launched  nationally 2013 (https://investorrelations.discover.com/newsroom/press-releases/press-release-details/2013/Discover-Launches-Game-Changing-New-It-Credit-Card/default.aspx)

So not a knock off.   + for those that can use URs, 5UR is very different than 5%

Sorry you're wrong, the IT card is a rebranding of the More card which had 5% categories in 2007.  Freedom got 5% categories in 2011.

Message 32 of 88
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@kilroy8 wrote:

Capture.GIF 

You do realize that they're worthless until you actually redeem them, right? 😆 You should buy a phone with those.

Trip to Europe, yo. Wunna deez daeez.

Message 33 of 88
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@kilroy8 wrote:

@kilroy8 wrote:

Capture.GIF 

Trip to Europe, yo. Wunna deez daeez.

That sounds Gucci af

Message 34 of 88
Winesnoblv
Regular Contributor

As with any bank, it will depend on your ability to acquire what credit you want and your overall relationship.  Personally, I haven't wanted to deal with Chase, but decided to apply for the FU last year.  I did it in a branch and still had issues with who I was.  After about a week, the banker contacted me with an approval with a sl of $6,400.  Have not had a cli in over a year and a half.  My opinion of Chase was very low.

A few weeks ago I logged in to pay and had a preapproved offer for the CSP.  I was lol/24 but applied anyway.  Received the need more time message.  Called the next day and was asked a security question and approved with a sl of $11,900.  Since I had been approved for the AMEX Delta Platinum (a sp that had not yet reported) and TD Ameritrade Visa (hp, but not yet reported) prior to the CSP, but within the same month, I am bracing for AA from Chase.  If this were to happen, my opinion of Chase would be were it was before I acquired my FU.  

FICO 8 EX 784 TU 786 EQ 786
FICO 9 EX 780
AMEX - Platinum, BCP, Delta Platinum, Simply Cash Plus, Blue Business Cash (Business)
Barclay - Arrival Plus, AAdvantage Aviator
Capital One - Venture, Sparks (Business)
Chase - FU, CSP
Citi - Premier, PLOC
Discover It Miles
TD Cash Visa
US Bank Altitude Reserve
Wells Fargo Propel AMEX
PNC Points Visa
FNBO Evergreen Visa
Message 35 of 88
imaximous
Valued Contributor

My experience with Chase is bittersweet. (Bitter for me -- sweet for DW).
I recently decided to close all my Chase accounts: personal and business banking; and 3 CCs. But, we kept all CCs under DW's name (CSR, CF, CFU, CIC & Amazon) where I'm an AU anyway.
They seem to like her profile and not mine that much, so it just made sense for me to cancel my accounts only. Her credit is clean (above 800) and mine has a boo-boo over 8 yrs old with scores above 760, but they just don't like it. I get that, so I'm planning a comeback with a clean slate within the next couple of years as I also get under 5/24 -- hopefully.
Other than that, no real issues with Chase on any front. URs are great for Hyatt redemptions or travel at 1.5x on their portal. Occasionally, I transfer points to an airline to get a family member a plane ticket and save some $. But, I don't have the patience or flexibility to deal with availability for myself.

Message 36 of 88
redpat
Senior Contributor

@kilroy8 wrote:

Capture.GIF 

I'm sitting on a ton of points and miles.

I never feel I have to panic and redeem them, I consider them my travel bank and it's fun to have.   We just don't have all that time off to use them.  YTD we have taken 7 trips w/ 3 to go.

It's just nice to know we can go anywhere we want.  We are now planning 2020 getaways.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 37 of 88
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

In reality, i do understand why Chase is good for some and not for others. Honestly, what irks me the most id say is them putting all their cards under 5/24 including cobranded. . I understand the knock against churners but to not allow someone to app a card that isnt legacy Chase just because they shopped elsewhere is a drag to me. Thats why i say they want all your business or none of it in a way. It is what it isSmiley Wink , @Anonymous having fun yet?Smiley Wink
Message 38 of 88
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Winesnoblv wrote:

As with any bank, it will depend on your ability to acquire what credit you want and your overall relationship.  Personally, I haven't wanted to deal with Chase, but decided to apply for the FU last year.  I did it in a branch and still had issues with who I was.  After about a week, the banker contacted me with an approval with a sl of $6,400.  Have not had a cli in over a year and a half.  My opinion of Chase was very low.

A few weeks ago I logged in to pay and had a preapproved offer for the CSP.  I was lol/24 but applied anyway.  Received the need more time message.  Called the next day and was asked a security question and approved with a sl of $11,900.  Since I had been approved for the AMEX Delta Platinum (a sp that had not yet reported) and TD Ameritrade Visa (hp, but not yet reported) prior to the CSP, but within the same month, I am bracing for AA from Chase.  If this were to happen, my opinion of Chase would be were it was before I acquired my FU.  

This just goes back to what I said earlier. Experiences here skew views. You knew you were way over 5/24. You knew you had two approvals in the last 30 days that weren't reporting yet. Yet, you applied for the CSP and if they close the account for credit seeking behavior, your opinion of them is going to drop. If there's AA, you brought it on yourself. It shouldn't reflect poorly on them.

Message 39 of 88
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
In teality, i do understand why Chase is good for some and not for others. Honestly, what irks me the most id say is them putting all their cards under 5/24 including cobranded. . I understand the knock against churners but to not allow someone to app a card that isnt legacy Chase just because they shopped elsewhere is a drag to me. Thats why i say they want all your business or none of it in a way. It is what it isSmiley Wink @Anonymous, having fun yet?Smiley Wink

Cards aren't a hobby for Chase. Chase is in the business of earning fees and interest. It isn't just entertainment to them, like it is to many collectors here.

Rebuilders might not qualify for most of the bigger-bonus cards, anyway ($5k or $10k minimum CLs).

Bonus chasers can make an informed, calculated decision as to whether they apply for Chase cards or not.

Aimless appers who change their "long-term strategy" every month wouldn't give them much business, anyway.

There's a big difference between "all or none" and an issuer expecting customers to stay within a few guidelines.

5/24 has been around for years for some cards, and the expanded list for nearly a year. If someone really wanted a Chase card, they could have just stopped applying a while ago and they'd be soon be eligible.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 40 of 88
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.