Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's so great about Chase?

tag
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: What's so great about Chase?

I've banked with Chase for a really long time, and WaMu before that. I've had very few issues on depository end, and when they arose, they were handled quickly and efficiently. 

With CCs, I've had my share of "grievances" with them when they would not bend to my will  and do what I thought they should be doing. Once they did, I loved them again. So, my own approach was right along the "sour grapes" line.

They dont need me, I dont need them, but we can still enjoy each other's company when appropriate. 

Message 41 of 88
redpat
Senior Contributor

I have nothing bad to say about chase, just like Amex.

SUBS - CSP 60k (converted to FU) CSR 100k (in branch pre-approval over 5/24 at the time) Ink+ 80K that's 240,000 UR points that chase has given me for a huge jump start into the UR point eco-system.  Sure CLIs were HPs but I got what I wanted and they even gave me a auto CLI.  Closed my FU card and moved limit into CSR w/o a hitch. 

MR & UR points are the best game in town.  Everyone tries to be like them but end up flat on their face in the long-run.

BTW, I almost Sh*t at the branch when they told me my CSR CL was $31k.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 42 of 88
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The Amazon Visa card, Sapphire cards & their mortgage rates are pretty good.

The Freedom is knock off of the Discover IT & the Unlimited is pretty mediocore.

Freedom was launched in 2006 and had 5% categories certainly by 2012 (see the list https://millionmilesecrets.com/news/chase-freedom-categories-2012/)

Discover IT launched  nationally 2013 (https://investorrelations.discover.com/newsroom/press-releases/press-release-details/2013/Discover-Launches-Game-Changing-New-It-Credit-Card/default.aspx)

So not a knock off.   + for those that can use URs, 5UR is very different than 5%

Sorry you're wrong, the IT card is a rebranding of the More card which had 5% categories in 2007.  Freedom got 5% categories in 2011.

Thanks, guess I missed that in my search!

Message 43 of 88
calyx
Super Contributor

I'll play along, because I like Chase and I'm happy to share my love Smiley Wink

Back when I was trying to get out of a bad marriage, they didn't shove me out of the door with my credit history and gave me an auto loan.   They actually called to apologize for got giving me a better rate, and explained why.

And then when I finally got around to credit cards last year, when I had 3 secured credit cards and my highest limit was a $1600 Disco, they gave me a CSP with a 17k limit (which is going to make PCing it to a CSR pretty easy, thankfully).   Whoever did their manual UW looked at my history, looked at my cards, and appears to have said "this bish puts her money where her mouth is, let's see if we can grab her soul,"  and they did.

I do like their UR program - but that's mainly because I'm a Southwest flier.  The only reason I didn't just get a SW card straight up (my original plan) is because the tiny airport in my "new" tiny city doesn't have Southwest flights, and I wanted to stay a little bit more flexible with my travel card.

Chase has been very generous to me, hasn't spooked or done anything interesting with the credit they've extended me, and I'm happy to treat them in kind.   It's a beneficial relationship for us.   Are they the greatest bank ever?  Nah, but so far I've not had any problems with them.   

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 44 of 88
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry you're wrong, the IT card is a rebranding of the More card which had 5% categories in 2007.  Freedom got 5% categories in 2011.

Thanks, guess I missed that in my search!

I've read Freedom once gave 3x automatically in a person's highest-spending category (presumably from some list such as travel, groceries, restaurants, telecom, gas, etc.). I'm guessing that was the pre-2011 structure?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 45 of 88
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

bertstare.jpg

Lmao ...  Smiley LOL  I literally lol for a few minutes. 

Nominated for "Top Ten Best Posts" on My Fico!

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 46 of 88
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@iced wrote:

My take on the tension is if they didn't have 5/24, most of this forum would fawn over them, but because they tell churners to pound sand people get in a huff, cross their arms, and basically start justifying to themselves that either they're not all that or other people are irrational for liking them to make them feel better about their own rejection. It reminds me of how some men act when a woman turns down their advances.

^ ^ ^  This ...

Everytime I see "Chase Hating" on My Fico, I wonder how much is exactly this.

And many don't have cards in their siggys for all to see, so it makes you wonder.

Business Cards

Message 47 of 88
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Aim_High wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

bertstare.jpg

Lmao ...  Smiley LOL  I literally lol for a few minutes. 

Nominated for "Top Ten Best Posts" on My Fico!

Credit to @UncleB for that one Smiley Very Happy

Message 48 of 88
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@kilroy8 wrote:

Umm ... worth 1.25x to me for travel. I kinda like them.

Capture.GIF 

Ditto. 

Chase_CSR_UR_Points.jpg

With SUBs and normal spending, I've earned 223,988 UR points in only the past 16 months.  That's good for $2,239.88 in cash or $3,359.82 in travel spending on UR portal with my 50% CSR redemption bonus.  Plus I received 100K Marriott Bonvoy SUB (Marriott Bonvoy points) worth about $800 and working on World of Hyatt 50K SUB (Hyatt Points) worth about $850 right now.  IMO, they have the best overall SUBs and selection of travel cards. 

*50K SUB - CSR$200 or 20K SUB - CF80K SUB - INK BP (converted to Ink Cash)

Business Cards

Message 49 of 88
Aim_High
Super Contributor

I'll bite AJC.  Smiley Tongue

Those who have read my many postings on this forum know I've promoted Chase.  If you want to read more, just go to my profile and look for postings about Chase cards, so I won't overly repeat myself here.  But I'll summarize.

I've been with Chase for over 19 years, but except for one other card I had closed and consolidated, I only had one single Freedom Unlimited with them 16 months ago, which I just redeemed for 1.5% cash back.

* Chase Sapphire Reserve.  An awesome card.  High $450 AF but gives you back much more in way of liberal travel credits  and  extensive travel protections. 50% bonus on UR portal.  If CSR didn't exist, I doubt I would be so bullish on Chase.

* Flexibility to redeem for full 1 cent per point cash back, 1.5 cents per point on Ultimate Rewards portal, or to transfer to partners at perhaps even higher redemption rates.  As someone who doesn't rack up massive regular business travel or have huge frequent flier mile accounts with travel partners, this flexibility is important to me.

* The BiFecta, TriFecta, or QuadFecta. Ability to combine UR points between CSR/CSP, CF, CFU, and/or INK cards.  See my posting above where my points were pooled from all four of those Chase cards on my CSR for 50% bonus.

* Awesome SUBs on most of their accounts. 

* Best collection of travel credit cards on the market:  general travel, airlines, and hotels. 

* Great fraud prevention and 24/7/365 customer service. 

* Good mobile Apps and website interface to manage several accounts in one place.  See my charges appear immediately after I make them.

* My largest single lender.  Approved me for five new cards in past 16 months and gave me combined $138,400 lines of credit before I hit their internal ceiling!  Definitely enough to be dangerous!!!   lol Smiley LOL

Business Cards

Message 50 of 88
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.