Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's so great about Chase?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What's so great about Chase?

I’m fond of my CSR because a lot qualifies as travel/dining; eating at the cafeteria at work or a ice cream parlor counts as dining and parking or tolls counts as travel.
Message 51 of 88
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I think like any lender they have pros and cons. UR points are tough to beat for certain things (travel), but for anything else (i.e. cash back) I think Chase cards are just okay. They typically are inflexible with APR and don't give SP CLIs, so those are downsides (although the general public probably doesn't care). I think various forums and blogs hype Chase up without explaining that UR points aren't great for everyone.

Message 52 of 88
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I think like any lender they have pros and cons. UR points are tough to beat for certain things (travel), but for anything else (i.e. cash back) I think Chase cards are just okay. They typically are inflexible with APR and don't give SP CLIs, so those are downsides (although the general public probably doesn't care). I think various forums and blogs hype Chase up without explaining that UR points aren't great for everyone.

Amazon, Slate, Freedom, and 100k CSR excepted...Chase is a lender for people who travel at least a moderate amount and can PIF.

If I didn't travel, or if I was carrying a balance at an APR over 2%, I wouldn't have any Chase cards other than Freedom.

The UR demographic is one that can PIF and doesn't care about APRs.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 53 of 88
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only read the OP.

I have a similar feeling about Chase. I would not want to get a card from a lender where I have to live in fear. Every single Chase approval thread has one "don't do XYZ or Chase is gonna get ya!" lol

Why bother when there are so many other lenders?

Now I am not going to discount other peoples experiences but I was on a long spiral down before filing bankruptcy. I had three Chase cards with +$20K limits. I did terrible things, and Chase never ever hit me with any AA. Not one single time. Yes that was over two years ago, almost 3 and things have changed. But I have to wonder what people are doing that makes Chase snap. And more importantly get a lender that lets you sleep at night. No amount of perks is worth it....js

Message 54 of 88
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I only read the OP.

I have a similar feeling about Chase. I would not want to get a card from a lender where I have to live in fear. Every single Chase approval thread has one "don't do XYZ or Chase is gonna get ya!" lol

Why bother when there are so many other lenders?

Now I am not going to discount other peoples experiences but I was on a long spiral down before filing bankruptcy. I had three Chase cards with +$20K limits. I did terrible things, and Chase never ever hit me with any AA. Not one single time. Yes that was over two years ago, almost 3 and things have changed. But I have to wonder what people are doing that makes Chase snap. And more importantly get a lender that lets you sleep at night. No amount of perks is worth it....js

Keep in mind a lot of people use their Chase cards without any problems...but "My CSR worked perfectly today!" is a really boring thread topic, so it doesn't come up in discussion.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 55 of 88
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

chase rewards loyalty, ask anyone that has had mortgage or 2 and paid it off without any hiccups.  their cards are for lazy people.  there you have it.  I have 9 chase cards, its pretty much point and shoot.  depending on a # of factors their co-brands are very good.  the ihg before they took kimpton out was the deal of the century for the anniversary bonus.  when I dont use chase cards I use the amex bgr to get $3K back yearly on dell purchases.  chase is just easy, not the best or even close by any measure to sucking every dime out of a purchase.  they have excellent customer service.  treat them with respect and the notion of aa is a pipe dream, aa does not happen to people that spend and pif and use a card normally and responsibility imo. 

Message 56 of 88
Andypanda
Established Contributor

Since I travel maybe once a year, I get better deals with other cards with no AF. 

ANy bank where one has a reltionship with shold treat you well.

WF propel also has broad travel definitions.

Since I have an existing reltionship with WF, the gave me my largest SL yet.

The only Chase card I am interested in is the Amazon visa (I want the 5% back at whole foods, so rather get the chase card than the store card). not that I mind the $70 SUB, but I would give serious consideration if I was given ythe chance to not get the SUB, and bypass 5/24. and the $70 sub on amazon visa is little compared to the 60,000 points for CSP.

To me, Chase is just another CC isuer, just like any other, and it's value is a case by case scenerio.

AMEX has after 61 days has given my largest CL by close to 2x ($25,000 vs $13,500 at #2 on my costco visa).

The 5/24 might give some people the impression they have cards worht waiting for

If I did get a high end travel card, I wold rather get the amex platnem, might don't need to get that card either.

Message 57 of 88
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
For the fico of me, im trying to understand whats so great about Chase? 5/24 , UR's, and wants your soul, FEED ME SEYMOUR! Smiley Wink

I mean, I like the color blue. The fact that their banks are slowly taking over my city is aesthetically pleasing.

AU

Message 58 of 88
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

I've banked with Chase for a really long time, and WaMu before that. I've had very few issues on depository end, and when they arose, they were handled quickly and efficiently. 

With CCs, I've had my share of "grievances" with them when they would not bend to my will  and do what I thought they should be doing. Once they did, I loved them again. So, my own approach was right along the "sour grapes" line.

They dont need me, I dont need them, but we can still enjoy each other's company when appropriate. 

I signed up for a checking account with Chase for the SUB and to show them I had some funds before applying for my Freedom card. I like that there are ATMs everywhere, in NYC they were so ubiquitous it was a joke between my partner on how many we passed, and I've had no issues with them as a bank. They're popular around my city. However I think it's HILARIOUS that they want me to put $25K in a Savings account with 0.01% APR for a $300 SUB. What's the point of even having Savings accounts with that low of interest? And if I had $25K to just put away for 3 months, I don't think I'd be that excited about $300. Just my 2 cents.

AU

Message 59 of 88
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I don't have much to add, but I'll just chime in to say that I've had nothing but good experiences with Chase so far. 

Their rewards cards line up quite well with the spend patterns and lifestyles of many (especially those who travel often), and for those folks Chase is usually a great fit.  I personally like that URs have a floor value of 1¢ per UR, although for people deep into the UR ecosystem the cash-out option is usually a last-resort.

I now have two cards with them (Amazon Visa and CSP) and I had the IHG MasterCard which I closed last year.  I plan to PC my CSP to a Freedom in the spring, since it was the Freedom that I wanted to begin with - I got the CSP for the higher sign-up bonus.  Once I have the Freedom, I'll simply cash-out any URs earned since I don't have a use for Chase's travel partners (and I wouldn't be able to transfer URs anyway without a CSP). 

Rewards aside, I've found Chase to be a very competent bank, although I admit I'm not one to need a lot of hands-on attention from customer service.  My cards have always 'just worked' when I need them (across state lines even, and without bothering with notifications), and my limited contact with CSRs has been prompt and professional (and mostly by secured message, much to my delight).  

I agree that for many of us 5/24 is a nuisance, but it's workable and can even help encourage responsible decision-making; it actually prompted me to 'cool my jets' for a bit to be able to qualify for the CSP. I also agree that for the vast majority of people 5/24 never comes into play anyway, and it's working as intended for Chase (i.e. to keep out bonus chasers, or at least slow them down a bit).

Even though I don't have any new Chase cards on my radar, I admit I'm now a bit more selective on what I apply for since if Chase were to come out with something new and exciting (like a card with a permanent grocery category) I would ideally want the new product to be within reasonable reach.

Just my 2¢.  Smiley Happy

Message 60 of 88
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.