cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the $$ Value of Hilton Honors Points?

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: What's the $$ Value of Hilton Honors Points?

@Time2letgo wrote:

I am relatively new to the HH program. What are the points worth and what is the best way to maximize them? In a recent stay at a Hilton, there was an incident that resulted in them offering me 200K points posted to my account.

I think I figured they were worth less than half a cent each

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 11 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

It really depends on you. If you don't have any Hilton Honors properties that you want to stay at then they aren't really worth anything short of a transfer or some gift cards, though I would peg the bottom end at $400 which is the conversion of 500 points to $1 on Amazon. Conversely, if you have status they can be worth 5 nights at a 50k point hotel or even 10 nights at a 25k hotel using the fifth night free perk. I just took a look through my account with what is nearby and there is a Hampton that normally books at $130 a night for 25k. That's over $1300 worth of out of pocket cost and kind of a middle-ground. If you can find a place that you're interested in and use the Points & Money Rewards then there's the possibility that you can get upwards of around/over a 1 cpp return depending on the property. 

Message 12 of 32
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Time2letgo wrote:

I am relatively new to the HH program. What are the points worth and what is the best way to maximize them? In a recent stay at a Hilton, there was an incident that resulted in them offering me 200K points posted to my account.

Hilton points are not worth much, but a volume of them is worth something. Same with Delta miles. 

The most important factor should be, are you using them to help pay for an experience you really want, or are you shopping places to stay to maximize point value?  I would emphasize somewhere you do want to go first. If the point redemption turns out to be $0.002 per point, maybe consider paying with cash and continue to accumulate until you find a place you really want to stay for $0.004 or $0.005. Then just realize you accumulated a lot of low value points, etc them go, and enjoy the stay because you really want to be there. 

If you are using credit card spend to accumulate points, then take the time to understand where your best return for that spend is, which could be a 2% Card, could be a travel card, and gather value to contribute toward your goal. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

The math teacher in me was really dying to say that scientific notation is involved, but I won’t. 🤐
Message 14 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Example Hilton hotels in Manhattan range from 70-159k a night. Yes1 night. So go figure Smiley Wink So the 200k points seem worthless in NYC.Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 10.45.16 PM.png

Message 15 of 32
wasCB14
Super Contributor

The Hilton point price isn't constant for a basic room at a given property. For example, the above HGINY/TSC is only 56k tonight for 1 Queen and 59k for 1 King.

During times of peak demand, point prices rise. It makes it harder to find occasions where using points is really appealing.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 16 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it depends on where you are. I stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn in March in Ft. Myers, Fl and for a larger king room with sofa, it was 30000 pts. per nights. That was during Spring Training so I thought it was an ok rate (cash rate was $279 plus tax).

On the other hand, I'm staying in Portsmouth, NH in July at a Hilton Garden Inn. Same size room at 60000 pts per night (and they charge $28 for valet parking). Not much difference between the two hotels and cash rate here is $300/night. I've stayed here many times in the past and it's always about the same rate.

So, figure out where you want to go and check the different hotels in the area for rates.

Message 17 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Example Hilton hotels in Manhattan range from 70-159k a night. Yes1 night. So go figure Smiley Wink So the 200k points seem worthless in NYC.

Unless you choose another night for the basis of the discussion. Here's tomorrow:

Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 8.21.16 AM.png

Message 18 of 32
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Example Hilton hotels in Manhattan range from 70-159k a night. Yes1 night. So go figure Smiley Wink So the 200k points seem worthless in NYC.

Unless you choose another night for the basis of the discussion. Here's tomorrow:

Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 8.21.16 AM.png

I'm learning from this thread that the value of Hilton points varies from situation to situation. When I figured .46 cents a point, I was basing it on a particular night for a particular hotel. I was assuming that there was a more or less constant point to dollar ratio. I've learned here that there are times and places where a Hilton point can be worth almost a full penny, while there are other instances when it's almost worthless.

So I guess I have to treat them as being basically worthless, and then -- when I've accumulated a massive number of them -- I can look to see whether there's any point in using them towards a particular stay.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 19 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.