cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the best card to book hotel+car for a weekend?

tag
codesingh
Regular Contributor

What's the best card to book hotel+car for a weekend?

Anybody? I have the delta skymiles, citi aadvantage, capital one veture. i have few others but not sure which one to use this time.

~ 100k in Rev CC. 15k Credit Line. 16.5k Car Loan(@1.7%) Starting scores: 690 EQ (Dec 2012) Mid-year FICO scores April ‘13 Pulled by lenders(Barclays, Amex): TU 747 • EQ 752 • EX 746 • Scores As of Nov 2013: 740 and above across the board.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: What's the best card to book hotel+car for a weekend?

Best as in rewards? Which hotel, Hyatt, Marriott etc?
Do you have a CSP or PRG?
Message 2 of 13
codesingh
Regular Contributor

No I do not have PRG or CSP...I am looking to rack up most of the rewards, my cap venture can give double miles but that's all.

So gold delta vs venture...any idea?

~ 100k in Rev CC. 15k Credit Line. 16.5k Car Loan(@1.7%) Starting scores: 690 EQ (Dec 2012) Mid-year FICO scores April ‘13 Pulled by lenders(Barclays, Amex): TU 747 • EQ 752 • EX 746 • Scores As of Nov 2013: 740 and above across the board.
Message 3 of 13
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

Do you have any trips planned?

Obviously, the Venture is going to give you the most options as far as versatility with airlines/hotels in the future, but that may not be the most important for you.

I think I would use Venture, unless you're going through the Delta or American Mall to purchase the hotel and car.

For example, if you use any of the websites listed on AAdvantage Shopping, you'll be able to get more than 1x points for American and could use that for future flights.

AA: https://www.aadvantageeshopping.com/Hotels-Accommodations/bc_53___.htm

Delta Skymiles Mall is not as generous and only has the option of Red Roof Inn as far as their traveling connections go, so I wouldn't use them unless that was your choice. Getaroom.com and booking.com are apart of AAdvantage Shopping.

NOTE: You can also use the Venture card when going through these malls; however, the benefit of, say booking at getaroom.com could give you 4x AA points.

Message 4 of 13
Jbb2788
Regular Contributor

@Lexie- Why did you ask OP if they had a CSP or SGP..I'm trying to figure out what the advantages of having one of these cards over say a Marriott or Southwest card. Thank you!

**10/31/13
EX-650
EQ-660
TU-660
GOAL: 750 ACROSS THE BOARD
Last App: 10/13
Gardening Until: 4/14 (At least)
Message 5 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Jbb2788

CSP or PRG offer 2% on travel related charges. Plus they have rewards 'malls' where they may get additional deals.
Message 6 of 13
Jbb2788
Regular Contributor

@Lexie- Sorry don't mean to hijack thread but 1 more question. If you were looking at these 3 cards; CSP, Marriott Prem., Southwest Prem.- Which one would you choose and why? I fly SW 1-2 times yearly, normally fly with my family(2 adults, 1 child), stay in Marriott Hotels roughly 6 nights per year...Carry on with OP's question! Sorry OP!!

**10/31/13
EX-650
EQ-660
TU-660
GOAL: 750 ACROSS THE BOARD
Last App: 10/13
Gardening Until: 4/14 (At least)
Message 7 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Jbb

I already have the CSP - combo with Freedom; value of UR; transfers to frequent travel partners 1:1; I tend to fly United and I eat out a lot

SW- don't fly enough for this cc

Marriott- not my fav hotel chain
Message 8 of 13
codesingh
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the detailed info jenn_bar.

@jbb it is ok. good question! 

I have cap venture which gives me 2 points / $ and also lets me travel related purchase eraser.

my travel is planned, except the hotel part. i got the car on my delta skymiles because i haven't used this card in a while and secondly i wanted to take advantage of full coverage for $25 from amex.

looking for hotels now...got suggestion about getaroom.com...hoping for some goooood deal by south side beach near LAX, CA

Message 9 of 13
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re rental cars, check out this post, and check out parts 2 and 3 in the series: http://millionmilesecrets.com/2013/01/21/hotwire-rental-cars/

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.