cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the best credit card that's mastercard, no foreign transaction fee, and no annual fee?

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: What's the best credit card that's mastercard, no foreign transaction fee, and no annual fee?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The "best" is subjective. Do you have any other requirements besides no AF, no FTF? I think the Captal One Venture One or Quicksilver card would foot the bill; mainly WEMC's with no AF and no FTF and both earn rewards. There is also the copy-cat Barclay's Arrival card. 

If you are looking for a basic, no AF, no FTF MasterCard that also offers Chip + PIN priority for international travel, you could join First Tech FCU (anybody can join) and apply for one of their cards. 

Are the Discover and US Bank cards in your signature your only cards? If so, Capital One may be the best way to go. 

The answer to all youor questions is yes

I would suggest Capital One then. You choose the best reward for you: the Quicksilver One with the sign up bonus points that can be used for travel then 1.25 points per dollar or the 1.5% cash back on Quicksilver. I think these are your best bet. 

Just to clarify, the QS1 and QS new accounts are now both issued as MasterCard and have the same rewards, 1.5% cash back... the difference is the QS1 has an AF and is marketed to those who won't qualify for a 'regular' QS; if the prequal has an offer for a QS it is definitely preferable to a QS1.

I got a new QS a couple of years ago, but had I known then what I know now I would have applied for the Venture instead... the Venture has a higher new account bonus ($400 vs. $100 for QS) and the first year the AF is waived.  Before the AF comes due the second year, you can PC to a QS and avoid the fee altogether... the best of both worlds.  The Venture also has historically yielded larger initial credit lines as well. 

It seems that Capital One has changed all their new card offerings to MasterCard (WEMC for QS and Venture) so that would meet the OPs criteria as well.  It's been mentioned that in some areas Visa has better acceptance, but in areas where MasterCard acceptance isn't an issue the exchange rate is said to be slightly better with MasterCard, which might or might not be a consideration depending on the amount being spent.

Message 11 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What's the best credit card that's mastercard, no foreign transaction fee, and no annual fee?

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The "best" is subjective. Do you have any other requirements besides no AF, no FTF? I think the Captal One Venture One or Quicksilver card would foot the bill; mainly WEMC's with no AF and no FTF and both earn rewards. There is also the copy-cat Barclay's Arrival card. 

If you are looking for a basic, no AF, no FTF MasterCard that also offers Chip + PIN priority for international travel, you could join First Tech FCU (anybody can join) and apply for one of their cards. 

Are the Discover and US Bank cards in your signature your only cards? If so, Capital One may be the best way to go. 

I would suggest Capital One then. You choose the best reward for you: the Quicksilver One with the sign up bonus points that can be used for travel then 1.25 points per dollar or the 1.5% cash back on Quicksilver. I think these are your best bet. 

Just to clarify, the QS1 and QS new accounts are now both issued as MasterCard and have the same rewards, 1.5% cash back... the difference is the QS1 has an AF and is marketed to those who won't qualify for a 'regular' QS; if the prequal has an offer for a QS it is definitely preferable to a QS1.

I got a new QS a couple of years ago, but had I known then what I know now I would have applied for the Venture instead... the Venture has a higher new account bonus ($400 vs. $100 for QS) and the first year the AF is waived.  Before the AF comes due the second year, you can PC to a QS and avoid the fee altogether... the best of both worlds.  The Venture also has historically yielded larger initial credit lines as well. 

It seems that Capital One has changed all their new card offerings to MasterCard (WEMC for QS and Venture) so that would meet the OPs criteria as well.  It's been mentioned that in some areas Visa has better acceptance, but in areas where MasterCard acceptance isn't an issue the exchange rate is said to be slightly better with MasterCard, which might or might not be a consideration depending on the amount being spent.

Thank you, UncleB, I need to edit my post; I meant Venture One not Quicksilver One

Message 12 of 33
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you, UncleB, I need to edit my post; I meant Venture One not Quicksilver One

No worries... with all their offerings (and with the recent change to all MasterCard) it's easy to get them crossed up.  Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 33
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How hard is it to PC? It sounds like an intteresting gamble I might actually take depending  upon circumstances.

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 14 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

How hard is it to PC? It sounds like an intteresting gamble I might actually take depending  upon circumstances.

you just need to chat with them. it takes less than 5 min. If your account is in good standing and more than a year old your chance is very high for PC. That's what 's my experience with Cap1.

Message 15 of 33
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

you just need to chat with them. it takes less than 5 min. If your account is in good standing and more than a year old your chance is very high for PC. That's what 's my experience with Cap1.

Is the 1 year mandatory? The whole point is to avoid the annual fee and the fee is only waived for the first year.

History of my credit
Message 16 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Subexistence wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Is the 1 year mandatory? The whole point is to avoid the annual fee and the fee is only waived for the first year.

Honestly I don't know. As I told that's my experience with both my and my wife's accounts.

my platinum mastercard around 1 yr 9mth old. they offered me quicksilver but I asked for venture. They said no Smiley Happy So I said no too. Because I already have quicksilver.

my qs1. I asked for venture but they said that there is no offer available for this 9months old account. That's why I decide to combine this account to my 1 months old quicksilver as soon as account hit to 6 months old.

pretty much same story apply for my wife too.

Message 17 of 33
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Subexistence wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No, one year isn't mandatory at all, especially for a Venture to QS PC. 

Most of the time when people have issues with a Capital One PC is when they are upgrading a Platinum or QS1 to a no-AF QS; I've never heard/read of anybody having problems going from Venture to a QS.

You can try to get the PC right away, but if it were me I would hang on to the Venture until a month or so before the one-year anniversary.  That way you'll have the maximum time to earn 2% back versus the 1.5% offered by the QS. 

Message 18 of 33
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Most of the time when people have issues with a Capital One PC is when they are upgrading a Platinum or QS1 to a no-AF QS; I've never heard/read of anybody having problems going from Venture to a QS.

You can try to get the PC right away, but if it were me I would hang on to the Venture until a month or so before the one-year anniversary.  That way you'll have the maximum time to earn 2% back versus the 1.5% offered by the QS. 

I'll take your advice for it. I'll probably do as you have it planned.

History of my credit
Message 19 of 33
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@UncleB wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I PC'ed my venture to QS after 6 months.. Got the bonus of venture pc'ed it to QS and wen't without a hitch.  Just said the reward structure of the Venture wasn't working for me along those lines, although honestly I doubt you even have to give a reason.

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.