cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the best credit card that's mastercard, no foreign transaction fee, and no annual fee?

NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: What's the best credit card that's mastercard, no foreign transaction fee, and no annual fee?

OP, why Mastercard vs VISA? In some situations, VISA is more likely to be accepted.

 

If you only have two cards and this is your first Capital One, I would apply for the Quicksilver, without regard to whether it will be MC or VISA. See what credit limit you get, enjoy the hassle-free 1.5%, no worries about any upcoming AF, no FTF.

 

After a year with the QS, if you want to try for another Capital One, then go for the Venture and the limit will be much larger. If you try for the Venture first, no telling what limit you may get. Keep in mind the redemptions on the Venture should be for airfare or hotel, direct travel costs. yes, you can get CapOne to switch them to cash back, but then you have to make some change to the card or call CapOne. A hassle either way.

 

And, after a year with the QS, you may decide it's not worth the hassle to try for the Venture. nothing wrong with that either.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
Message 21 of 33
graath
Frequent Contributor

Re: What's the best credit card that's mastercard, no foreign transaction fee, and no annual fee?

I would suggest the Huntington Bank Voice card.  No foreign transaction fees, no annual fee and you get to pick a 3% category each quarter.  I always use it for utilities, but they have a diverse set of options or you can use it for a 3% reduction on an interest rate. 

Equifax [Citi] Score: 742; Experian [Amex] Score: 734; Transunion [Discover] Score: 729
Creditkarma scores Equifax 792 & Transunion 781
Barclay's Aviator Red -- $8,400; Discover It -- $16,500; US Bank Cash+ -- $7,500; Huntington Bank Voice -- $8,500; American Express Gold Charge Card; Chase Freedom -- $4,000; Barclay's Arrival+ $6,000; Chase Southwest Premier -- $16,000; Citi AA -- $5,500
Authorized User: Chase Freedom -- $6,500; American Express Blue Cash -- $3,500; Sam's Club Mastercard -- $6,000; CSP -- $9,000; Barclay's CashForward -- $5,000
Goal cards: Freedom Unlimited, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Ink Plus
Message 22 of 33
AN0NYM0US
Regular Contributor

Re: What's the best credit card that's mastercard, no foreign transaction fee, and no annual fee?

As has been mentioned a few times.. Quicksilver One. 

 

You can get the annual fee waived... Then make it your main card for 6 months and contact capital one to change it to the regular NON annual fee QS. They will also give you the option for Venture One. I didn't do that because I was planning on the Chase Sapphire Preferred down the line when I'd be eligible.

 

Worth Noting: This was my experience about a year and a half ago. It is possible policies may have changed from 6 months to 1 year before PC eligible. I actually did it after 3 months.


Message 23 of 33
Subexistence
Established Contributor

Re: What's the best credit card that's mastercard, no foreign transaction fee, and no annual fee?


@NRB525 wrote:

OP, why Mastercard vs VISA? In some situations, VISA is more likely to be accepted.

 

If you only have two cards and this is your first Capital One, I would apply for the Quicksilver, without regard to whether it will be MC or VISA. See what credit limit you get, enjoy the hassle-free 1.5%, no worries about any upcoming AF, no FTF.

 

After a year with the QS, if you want to try for another Capital One, then go for the Venture and the limit will be much larger. If you try for the Venture first, no telling what limit you may get. Keep in mind the redemptions on the Venture should be for airfare or hotel, direct travel costs. yes, you can get CapOne to switch them to cash back, but then you have to make some change to the card or call CapOne. A hassle either way.

 

And, after a year with the QS, you may decide it's not worth the hassle to try for the Venture. nothing wrong with that either.


I initially thought mastercard was more accepted. Now that some posters have suggested VISA, I'll ask you what you think is best VISA withno foriegn transaction fees or annual fees.








Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 24 of 33
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Re: What's the best credit card that's mastercard, no foreign transaction fee, and no annual fee?

If your EX Score 8 FICO is 730 or higher, I would recommend the MC in the link below.  It gives an APR as low as 7.5% F, 1.5x points/$1 spent rewards program, many benefits that can usually be found only on WEMCs, plus no AF, no BT fee, and no FTF.  JMHO.

 

https://www.premieramerica.com/loans/credit-cards

Message 25 of 33
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: What's the best credit card that's mastercard, no foreign transaction fee, and no annual fee?

Well, what I am suggesting is that the Quicksilver no-AF card has the advantage of easy app access ( HP on all three CB notwithstanding ) no FTF and easy reward redemption. Whether they issue you a VISA or MC is, in my opinion, inconsequential.

 

There are other suggestions for cards, and those are all reasonable possibilities, but the marginal improvement in any one attribute comes with trade offs or hurdles to overcome in other attributes, and hurdles are not much fun in CC apps and CC management.

 

Capital One QS be like, simple Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
Message 26 of 33
Backwoods
Senior Contributor

Re: What's the best credit card that's mastercard, no foreign transaction fee, and no annual fee?

If you plan to travel much I would take a Visa, MC and Amex.  Yes I know about the fees for Amex.  I don't know if its still this way but years ago I had to travel for work quarterly for 6 countries.  Some towns were Visa only others Mastercard only and once in while Amex.  First time I went almost had to spend the night in my rental car at below freezing til I could find a place that took Visa.  That was not a fun trip. After that I had many cards. I also had $500 in 20's for emergencies going foward.  Once the network was down and had to pay for 1 night in cash til the network came up next day.      

Message 27 of 33
happypill
Valued Contributor

Re: What's the best credit card that's mastercard, no foreign transaction fee, and no annual fee?

The best MC that I know of and my absolute favorite card now that the Sallie Mae is on its deathbed (which was a MC as as well) is the Security Service Federal Credit Union Power Travel Rewards World Mastercard.  3.3% on dining, travel & gas, no fees of any kind (no AF, no FTF, no balance transfer fees, no cash advance fees, etc.), 10% APR and some of the best secondary benefits around (120 price protection for example, compared with 60-90 days on most other premium cards).

 

The only real limitation is that it is geographically restricted.  If you're in the territory, I think it's the best.

Message 28 of 33
AN0NYM0US
Regular Contributor

Re: What's the best credit card that's mastercard, no foreign transaction fee, and no annual fee?


@happypill wrote:

The best MC that I know of and my absolute favorite card now that the Sallie Mae is on its deathbed (which was a MC as as well) is the Security Service Federal Credit Union Power Travel Rewards World Mastercard.  3.3% on dining, travel & gas, no fees of any kind (no AF, no FTF, no balance transfer fees, no cash advance fees, etc.), 10% APR and some of the best secondary benefits around (120 price protection for example, compared with 60-90 days on most other premium cards).

 

The only real limitation is that it is geographically restricted.  If you're in the territory, I think it's the best.


Great Job! Talking about a card that does not exist anymore and has zero relevance. 

 

OP, Cap One QS is the best bet. Visa VS MC does not really matter at all for travel nowadays. If anyone says otherwise they probably are relating experiences from several years go.


Message 29 of 33
Subexistence
Established Contributor

Re: What's the best credit card that's mastercard, no foreign transaction fee, and no annual fee?


@AN0NYM0US wrote:

@happypill wrote:

The best MC that I know of and my absolute favorite card now that the Sallie Mae is on its deathbed (which was a MC as as well) is the Security Service Federal Credit Union Power Travel Rewards World Mastercard.  3.3% on dining, travel & gas, no fees of any kind (no AF, no FTF, no balance transfer fees, no cash advance fees, etc.), 10% APR and some of the best secondary benefits around (120 price protection for example, compared with 60-90 days on most other premium cards).

 

The only real limitation is that it is geographically restricted.  If you're in the territory, I think it's the best.


Great Job! Talking about a card that does not exist anymore and has zero relevance. 

 

OP, Cap One QS is the best bet. Visa VS MC does not really matter at all for travel nowadays. If anyone says otherwise they probably are relating experiences from several years go.


I'm planning to use Quicksilver after downgrading from venture before annual fees come. What's your take on M&T visa signature card from https://www.mtb.com/banking/credit-cards/credit-card-options 

 

It seems like a relatively unkown visa equivalence to quicksilver.








Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.