cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the best way to use MR points without traveling?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's the best way to use MR points without traveling?

I applied and got approved for the new Amex Gold card. I plan on meeting the minimum spend so I plan on getting 50k points through that. Plus I'm estimating I'll get another few thousand here and there so we'll say I'm expecting 55k MR points. I don't really travel too much so that leaves my redemption options fairly limited. I'm alright with getting 1 cent per point but obviously more is always better. But I definitely can't justify using the points as a statement credit for only .6 cents per point. I've looked into gift cards and the ones I'd be interested in (Target, Walmart, Best Buy, etc.) all charge less than 1 cent per point. So then I considered a Staples gift card, then I use the gift card for a Visa/Mastercard prepaid card. Unfortunately, Staples' policy on that is pretty clear that I can't do this. So without traveling or anything like that, what are some ways I can optimize the MR points?

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Re: What's the best way to use MR points without traveling?

It's well known that in order to get the best value for your points, it usually involves travel.  That being said, some other less valuable options that are non-travel include:

• Paying charges on your account (Only about 0.6 cents per point)
  • Uber rides (About 1 cent per point)
  • Amazon - I consistently see offers on Amazon to checkout using points (About 0.7 cents per point)
  • Shopping at the Membership Rewards Portal

Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Plenty of gift cards available for 1CPP Zappos, Gap,  Home Depot, Barnes and Noble, Crate and Barrel, Olive Garden, REI, Williams and Sonoma. 

But this is why I say the Citi Thank You Premier is such a better card.  First you get 60k points sign up bonus but all their gift cards are 1cpp.  And you can book hotels at 1.25 CPP.  Neither you get with Amex.  

Message 3 of 24
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Like it or not, your new Amex Gold is a travel card, designed for people who travel.  There is no way to get your money’s worth from this card unless you travel.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 4 of 24
LCC_mk14
Regular Contributor

I have the Amex gold and I don’t travel too terribly much. I still find it profitable with the cards i have because of the multipliers. Even if you’re only getting 1 cent per point, it’s still 4% back on groceries, dining etc. plus all the credits. I used my sign up bonus for a saks gift card which was 1 cent valued. I say keep an eye on gift cards or save your points for a rainy day. You may be able to plan a vacation later on where you pay little out of pocket. I don’t think you always need an immediate goal in how to use your points. Life changes and it’s good to have them handy! I also do this with my delta miles. I only fly A few times a year and fairly cheaply so I’m saving those for a bigger trip I want to plan on a few years.

Message 5 of 24
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@LCC_mk14 wrote:
I have the Amex gold and I don’t travel too terribly much. I still find it profitable with the cards i have because of the multipliers. Even if you’re only getting 1 cent per point, it’s still 4% back on groceries, dining etc. plus all the credits. I used my sign up bonus for a saks gift card which was 1 cent valued. I say keep an eye on gift cards or save your points for a rainy day. You may be able to plan a vacation later on where you pay little out of pocket. I don’t think you always need an immediate goal in how to use your points. Life changes and it’s good to have them handy! I also do this with my delta miles. I only fly A few times a year and fairly cheaply so I’m saving those for a bigger trip I want to plan on a few years.

Totally agree with this, the "earn and burn" mentality may be sound, but do not discount saving for those "life changing" moments, or trips you never planned for, but can now do with the points sitting there waiting for you.....

Message 6 of 24
redpat
Senior Contributor

None!

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 7 of 24
iced
Valued Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Like it or not, your new Amex Gold is a travel card, designed for people who travel.  There is no way to get your money’s worth from this card unless you travel.

+1.

If you don't travel, you should re-think the wisdom in using travel cards. Yes, at 1 cpp it's in the same ballpark as cashback, but if cash is what you're after you can also use cashback cards with similar rates of return and not have to deal with converting to gift cards and the like.

That said, your best non-travel options are generally going to be gift cards. Expect about 1cpp with an occasional promotion for 1.1 or 1.2 cpp. A lot of redemptions for merchandise or credits will come in at less than 1 cpp as well.

Message 8 of 24
jb1280
Valued Member

If you have the Schwab Platinum Card, you have the ability to cash out your MR Points at $1.25 per MR Point.

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpat wrote:

None!

The new washer and dryers in my basement argue otherwise.  1CPP from Home Depot is a good way of redeeming.  Especially when the annual fee for the card was waived.  So if you end up with 55k points that is $550 to use at Home Depot.  I also used the $200 in airline gift cards to pay for taxes on international flights from Southwest.  But I am guessing you could sell them for $150 if you don't travel.  That would give you $700 in value in the first year without traveling. 

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.