Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the big fuss about CSP?

tag
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: What's the big fuss about CSP?

transfer partners to United if redeemed for first class saver award is worth almost 10 cents per point during high season, the Sapphire is a gateway for transfer partners like hyatt, mariott, ritz, united, southwest etc. where you can really let your UR points shine!

If your not traveling or doing anything it's not the best card, but overall with all the coverage, warrenty, no foreign transaction fee, metal card, prestige, purchase protection and many many other things that's not included in the Freedom card, but again this is a great combo to have, 1 card does not fit all. Personally I think it's best to use Sapphire + Freedom + Ink + Checking combo over any other card in the market right now. Only one that competes imo is Amex BCP and Starwood, every other card is meh....  although if you don't fly United, Amex Platinum is a great card. Every card has a different fit. Personally I wish they would just make 1 card that rules all lol.

If Chase were to make a Sapphire + Freedom + Ink combination on one card and even charge higher annual fee I would pay just for the convience.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 11 of 44
enharu
Super Contributor

is the warranty and purchase protection offered by CSP same or similar to amex's?

is there like a max payout amount, or deductible?

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 12 of 44
awdsmama
Established Contributor

@RhubarbPie wrote:

Quick edit: there are many other perks associated with this card, but importantly (imo), its also a good card if you're expecting a certain level of customer service. With CSP, you call the number on the back of the card, and an English speaking human in a call center in the United States answers immediately. You don't press any numbers or talk to an automated robot - you just speak to a human immediately. And usually that human is very nice and helpful. I would say that CSP customer service is on par, if not better than, AMEX Plat customer service. This is a HUGE perk of the card, in my opinion.

SOLD.  It is on my list for the future.  I also want the Chase SW card though....hmmm

Fico: 701 (5/22/14) 682 (5/9/2014)
Discover IT $5,200 / CU Visa $1,000 / JC Penny$3,000
App Free since 2/2013
Message 13 of 44
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@awdsmama wrote:

@RhubarbPie wrote:

Quick edit: there are many other perks associated with this card, but importantly (imo), its also a good card if you're expecting a certain level of customer service. With CSP, you call the number on the back of the card, and an English speaking human in a call center in the United States answers immediately. You don't press any numbers or talk to an automated robot - you just speak to a human immediately. And usually that human is very nice and helpful. I would say that CSP customer service is on par, if not better than, AMEX Plat customer service. This is a HUGE perk of the card, in my opinion.

SOLD.  It is on my list for the future.  I also want the Chase SW card though....hmmm

American Express customer is service is awesome for platinum card holders, but the rest is just better than average.  CSP customer service on the other hand has been better than all, really is a great experience every time I talk to them.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 14 of 44
Open123
Super Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

@awdsmama wrote:

@RhubarbPie wrote:

American Express customer is service is awesome for platinum card holders, but the rest is just better than average.  CSP customer service on the other hand has been better than all, really is a great experience every time I talk to them.

In my experience, Amex Plat customer service (this division seems to have the most senior and experienced of their CSR staff) is the best.  The few times I've called, I've gotten extraordinary results.  

CSP (no holds, always US based, and very professional) and Discover (no holds, always US based, and more ebullient than professional) customer service is better than "regular" Amex service.  

While "regular" Amex customer service is better than Citi, BofA, and Cap One.

Message 15 of 44
nishant1
New Contributor

Chase Sapphire Preferred Boosts Freedom rewards as well as covers its deficiencies

Even if you are a strong believer in Chase Freedom, if you look at following suppliments which Sapphire preferred covers which are not available in Freedom.

1) You can use CSP or Freedom whichever gives higher points. Travel, dining at 2% instead of 1% at Spphire when 5% category is not available.

2) Transfer Freedom 5% points to get additiional 25% rewards using Ultimate Rewards air booking to get a overall return of 6.25 % on Freedom Points. Just using Freedom transfer points, I am able to save more than CSP annual fee.

3) There is no foreign exchange fee so you save additional 3% when you are outside of US. This is particularly helpful in Europe where money exchange is a big loss because there is a flat fee in addition to low exchange rate. So if you want buy 100 Euros, you pay 5 Euro flat fee plus exchange rate. In addition, you are stuck with balance local currency which has no value until you go back there. Same is the case with Canada travel.

4) Loss of luggage coverage, additional one year warranty on appliances are few perks which give you additional peace of mind.

Message 16 of 44
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

@awdsmama wrote:

@RhubarbPie wrote:

In my experience, Amex Plat customer service (this division seems to have the most senior and experienced of their CSR staff) is the best.  The few times I've called, I've gotten extraordinary results.  

CSP (no holds, always US based, and very professional) and Discover (no holds, always US based, and more ebullient than professional) customer service is better than "regular" Amex service.  

While "regular" Amex customer service is better than Citi, BofA, and Cap One.

It has gotten to the point where when I need help on any of our accounts I just call the number on the back of my platinum card and then ask them to help on my other account, they always do and never even question it.

Discover CS is good to but as with AMEX I hate having to enter my account number and go through the prompts, 

Most of my time is spent in a car and that's when I have time to call CS if there is a problem, the fact that I can call the CSP CS (number stored in my phone book) and not have to enter any prompts is the biggest thing to me.

It's a toss up between AMEX Platinum and CSP though, both are great! 

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 17 of 44
WarJar101
Frequent Contributor

What about just the regular Chase Sapphire card (with no AF) for college student or for a guy that can't spend 60k a year? How does it fair for the average American? Lol.

Rebuilding...been out of the game for a minute. Now, after suffering I'm back with greater wisdom. Scores: Currently @ around 6 teens to 20's, across all three EQ,TU, EX
Message 18 of 44
Open123
Super Contributor

@WarJar101 wrote:

What about just the regular Chase Sapphire card (with no AF) for college student or for a guy that can't spend 60k a year? How does it fair for the average American? Lol.

Not bad with 2X dining, but unless you're planning on saving your UR points to transfer when you apply for a CSP in the future, there are better options.  

The Citi Forward (not sure if still being offered) was an ideal student card.  Freedom, US Bank Cash+ and Discover are all excellent student and/or great cards to maximize lowering spending.  Or, even the new BofA Balance rewards is an excellent choice, which rewards you up to $30 per quarter for buying a Starbucks coffee once per month.

Message 19 of 44
enharu
Super Contributor

anyone got any experience with their warranty and purchase protection? Smiley Surprised

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 20 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.