cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the big fuss about Citi Diamond Preferred?

tag
yellowcake
Regular Contributor

What's the big fuss about Citi Diamond Preferred?

People on this forum seem to really like it. After the introductory 0% apr period, it seems like it becomes a dead-end card, so why the hype?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: What's the big fuss about Citi Diamond Preferred?

I've kinda wondered the same thing.  Doesn't seem to really offer much.  Not so low interest and no real rewards.  Most people that have a need for concierge will have a higher end card with better service anyways.

Message 2 of 13
a3quit4s
Regular Contributor

Had it; cancelled it. It was no big deal to me. I have the Dividend Platinium Select with a 6,100 CL and they gave me Diamond with 1,200 CL I almost laughed when they told me. I knew it was gonna get cancelled as soon as I saw that.

EQ 733 3/3/13 GOAL: 800 Merrill Lynch Merrill+ $12,500 | AMEX BCE 6K | AMEX PRG NPSL | CSP 6K | Freedom 5K | Discover IT 5K | HVFCU 10K | American Eagle Visa 5K | Citi Thank You Preferred 6,100

In the garden since 4/22/13 | Hating on Capital One since '09
Message 3 of 13
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I've been getting pre-selected offers for the Citi Diamond, but not worth coming out of the garden for IMHO.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 13
boomhower
Valued Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

I've been getting pre-selected offers for the Citi Diamond, but not worth coming out of the garden for IMHO.

Take that with a grain of salt.  I was preselected last year and was declined. 

Message 5 of 13
Open123
Super Contributor

Well, the 0% promo 18 - 21 month APR (and low rate thereafter) + great rewards card doesn't exist. 

The closest would the Freedom with 18 month 0% APR.  If one's goals are to finance something or balance transfer to reduce an interest, ongoing rewards isn't even secondary concern, but a tertiary one, right after the post promo interest rate.

For what this card is geared for, it does relatively well.

Message 6 of 13
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I don't get it either. The zero interest could be good if you have a large purchase coming up, or maybe if you want to float tuition or something. The Citi Private Pass is nothing special since a basic debit card from Citi offers the same thing. I reckon it's mostly for people who carry balances to balance transfert to.

Message 7 of 13
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

I think this is more of a balance transfer card.
Nothing for the dividend to really envy.
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 8 of 13
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@CruzImperial wrote:
I think this is more of a balance transfer card.
Nothing for the dividend to really envy.

This is the major plus of this card.  And it's not a "one shot" type of thing.  One can do multiple BT (transfer/pay off/transfer/pay off) to this card for the promotions offered. 

Message 9 of 13
lazylane
New Contributor

I agree. I'm not crazy about the card. I used my card to transfer balances and for a few large purchases, my card is PIF, my interest rate kicks in next month, and I have no desire to use this card much after that. In addition to the 0% APR, my offer also included one statement credit with a monthly purchase over a certain amount. I received that ONE statement credit and haven't gotten another one since. Smiley Indifferent

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.