Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the deal with Best Buy CLI?

tag
illcrew3
Regular Contributor

What's the deal with Best Buy CLI?

I have a Best Buy card ( one without a MC, Visa or any logo) and I want a CLI to help reduce my debt to credit ratio. I have read in the forums here that they do not hard pull but when I called and asked the woman (who could barely speak English) said they would do a hard inquiry. Which is true?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
illcrew3
Regular Contributor

Re: What's the deal with Best Buy CLI?

MODS,

I had a brain fart and posted this in the wrong forum. Please move to credit cards. THANKS!

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hit the luv button on the website and received an increase from $3300 to $4700. No hard pull and an instant approval.
Message 3 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I have the store card and requested a CLI over the phone somewhere around 6 months. No dice, but no hard. When it was somewhere around 9-10 months, I tried the luv button and got an increase from $2500 to $4000, again, no hard.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here ive requested a CLI several times and im told the same. It will be a hard pull....They also claim that the acct is review for auto cli but ive never seen 1.....
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@illcrew3 wrote:
I have a Best Buy card ( one without a MC, Visa or any logo) and I want a CLI to help reduce my debt to credit ratio. I have read in the forums here that they do not hard pull but when I called and asked the woman (who could barely speak English) said they would do a hard inquiry. Which is true?

Try the button online.  I didn't get a hard by doing it that way.

Message 6 of 10
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

It's easier to get a CLI in the store.  Just go in and pretend you're interested in some $5,000 home entertainment center and ask for a CLI to cover it.  If you get it, just change your mind.  If you don't . . . . so what.  You walk out with what you brought in and they think they lost a big sale.  It worked for me.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 10
Too_much_debt
Valued Member

Luv button for me -- no hard pull and moved me from $4100 to $8200.
TU 712; EQ 739; EX 736 -- As of 07/01/2015
Message 8 of 10
illcrew3
Regular Contributor

Thanks every one. I hit the love button and got this message:

Thank you for using Online Customer Care

In order to complete your request, we will need to speak with you to verify some of the information you provided.

Please contact us at 1-800-319-3685 immediately.

So I called and the woman I sopke with said that there would be a slight chance it would be a hard inquiry but on occasion it does go through as an automatic CLI without the hard inquiry. I got cold feet and optioned not to go for it..... blah.

I guess I will just try the love button again in a few months.

Message 9 of 10
LisaJ
Frequent Contributor

I haven't had any luck with the luv buton myself...but I know others have.  My score just went up significantly, so maybe I will try again soon.
WOW! EQ when I joined myFICO: 657. Ups and downs and a few bumps and bruises, but finally back over 700. Whew!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.