Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the deal with Best Buy?

tag
praise123
Contributor

What's the deal with Best Buy?

They are offering 18 month no Interest. Think abtag the new IPad. Are they good to deal with.?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: What's the deal with Best Buy?

BestBuy store card is great, hard to get,  high credit lines, easy CLI's or it was before capone took over, don't know now. 

Bestbuy Reward MasterCard, Sub-prime low credit limit expect no CLI love from CapOne anytime soon high AF at $69 for a low limit. Probably not enough CL to benefit from the 18 months zero intrest. CapOne may waive it but who knows, its a rebuiler card use it if you need it, And close it when your AF hits. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 9
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

The Best Buy Reward Zone Mastercard is not a good card: low limits, a big AF, and high interest rates.  I don't know anything about the store card.

If you need a computer or a tablet, use your new Citi Diamond Preferred and its long 0% interest period.

Message 3 of 9
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

Bad thing with BB is if you don't pay it off by end of period, thay charge back interest.

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@jordanmedical wrote:

Bad thing with BB is if you don't pay it off by end of period, thay charge back interest.

That is not just a BB thing... Basically any 0% outside of a 12 month Citi Visa or something, store cards and such will always defer.

I would suggest you apply in store.

Message 5 of 9
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

But not all cards do this, a lot of them will charge int starting from the day interest start without going back to the original transaction date. It's a good question to ask before you sign up for any 0% limited time offer.

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 9
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

If your score is good and you have no baddies and decent history you'll probably get the store card. if you get the mastercard version for so-so credit pppl's it's likely you'll get such a small limit you won't even be able to put a ipad on it.

if you do take advantage of the 0% offer make sure you pay it off or else you'll be charged for the interest from all the way back to the date of purchase. it's a good card if you know how to manage your credit and don't get sucked into not paying it off in time. i learned my lesson from sears years ago and yes most places that offer 0% for  X amount of months will charge you the full interest rate from purchase date if you don't pay it off in time.

Message 7 of 9
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@praise123 wrote:

They are offering 18 month no Interest. Think abtag the new IPad. Are they good to deal with.?

Yes the deal is good. 

ive had my bb store card (not mastercard) for a little under 2 years. and have put 4 purchases ranging from 500 to 1200 dollars for the 18 month promo. 

ive become a rewards plat member because ive put on 2 laptops, 2 game consoles, and a few other misc purchases.

i recently let a promo expire and they did charge me the back taxes. about 70. dollars worth. 

as long as you make minimum ( im not suggesting this.) they will not charge interest on the purchase.

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 8 of 9
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@Mike360 wrote:

If your score is good and you have no baddies and decent history you'll probably get the store card. if you get the mastercard version for so-so credit pppl's it's likely you'll get such a small limit you won't even be able to put a ipad on it.

if you do take advantage of the 0% offer make sure you pay it off or else you'll be charged for the interest from all the way back to the date of purchase. it's a good card if you know how to manage your credit and don't get sucked into not paying it off in time. i learned my lesson from sears years ago and yes most places that offer 0% for  X amount of months will charge you the full interest rate from purchase date if you don't pay it off in time.

i find this odd. 

i have heard that the store card is harder to get but whats the logic? 

shouldn't they want you to use the store card for only their purchases. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.