Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the deal with Chase???

tag
pip3man
Valued Contributor

Re: What's the deal with Chase???

@Anonymous wrote:

Since Chase always reports a mid-cycle PIF to the CBs, I'm going to let 99% report every month and PIF the day after statement cuts.  I'll even try some over-the-limit charges later if the 99% doesn't help raise my $500 toy card limit.

I do expect to apply for a new Chase card every 6 months or so if preapproved and combine accounts.  I know that the Disney and AARP cards are well known for being useful for this purpose, and I'm sure there are other co-branded cards that may bypass 5/24 that will let me increase my CL on my FU card for now.  If I am preapproved for a regular 5% Freedom I'll snag that next, just to have both cards in my arsenal, but otherwise it'll be cobranded cards that I can use to combine CLs to bump me up.

Hey listen imma be honest with u - your feeling's gonna get hurt if u try so hard to get them to up ya limit. I got a Freedom card more than 3yrs ago with a $500 limit. I pulled all these strategies ur tryna attempt to no avail till I got tired of trying. The limit is still $500 although I have other cards with them with more than a $10k CL. My advise is use the card as u normally would and don't anticipate a CLI cos that's where u open ya self to frustration. Getting a CLI with Chase is like trying to find that pot of gold at the end of a rainbow

Message 11 of 17
krielly
Established Contributor

My Chase was formerly a WAMU, switched to Chase rewards back in 2009 (I think). SL was 1K with WAMU, it hasn't changed since.

My scores are all 800+ and have been for a long time. I upgraded my rewards to a Freedom months ago, thinking maybe that would help. Nope Smiley Happy Just got a Chase Amazon Prime Visa a couple months ago, SL of 10K. Freedom still at 1K.

Not sure why I even keep it open Smiley Happy

You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing!
Message 12 of 17
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Keep in mind that Chase uses an internal scoring algorithm. I'm done with my rebuild for all intents and purposes, and have pruned all of my toy limit starter/rebuild cards. Last month I tried for a CLI on my Amazon Visa and got a denial.  My EX Fico 8 was a 736, no baddies lots of inquiries over I year old, but when I got my letter in the mail Chase claimed my EX score was 612. So... ymmv.  Just another area where the BS runs deep in the credid game. Wasted a hp, but it'll be the last time with them as the Amazon Visa is the only card I wanted from them and the $75 gift card I got upon sign up was a nice chunk taken out of my original purchase. Used ONLY for Amazon purchases. 

Message 13 of 17
Gmood1
Super Contributor

For seven years I was stuck with the same limit from Chase. My Slate never budged off $1500. After apping and acquiring other Chase cards, I transferred the limit and closed it. No need to waste any more HPs or time running after CLIs that would never happen.

Message 14 of 17
hsspres
Contributor

I didn't receive my first auto-CLI from Chase until month 10.  I put ~50% spend on it for three or four months, paid in full before statement cut and received a CLI of just over 2 times what the original CL was.

FICOs 6/17 - EQ 751, EX 749, TU 760
Message 15 of 17
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@austinguy907 wrote:

I'd say it's likely you won't ever see an auto CLI from Chase with an 8 month old $500 limit card.

I have one that's $5500 that was carried over from WAMU during the crisis and it's never went up either by waiting or by request.  It did drop the APR though from 22% to 17% a year or so ago for no reason that I'm aware of since they didn't send me anything saying they did so.

On the flip side though purging, pruning, and maintenance I decided to test a theory of bucketing and where you start is where you stay with the coding on your card in their systems.  I went for the FU and got $25.9K out of them instantly.  Then went for BOA after many years w/o them and got a $10K approval which seems par for the course as well.  

So, whatever is going on with your profile from the past to now is going to need to be cleaned up a bit more.  When it's ideal then you apply for something new and move the CL to the new card and you'll be well on your way to the proverbial auto CLI from Chase with the newly coded account.  

+1

This is exactly what I did when I was mad at myself for applying for the Slate instead of the Freedom. So after suggestions from MyFICOers about reallocating monies from one card to the other, which I didn't know I could do, I reallocated $1.5K to my FU. And, I called last week to reallocate the last $1K and close the Slate (only 2 mos old). I was told I had to carry a balace of $0 for 2 billing cycles, which confirmed what another MyFICOer had said. So, I don't care about a Chase CLI per se, because as far as I'm concerned, I gave myself a CLI Smiley Very Happy

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Remember that nobody can legally auto-cli you if it's been more than 12 months since your last income update.

That being said, my FU has only cut 4 statements so far. Hoping to get an auto-cli but if not after statement 6 I will apply for the Amazon Visa and (hopefully!) get enough to move some of the limit over. I wouldn't mind turning the FU into a VS...

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.