cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the first step for someone with no cards?

tag
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: What's the first step for someone with no cards?

@Themanwhocan wrote:

The standard approach is to get a Secured card from your bank or credit union. After 6-12 months of using the card very lightly and always paying in full, then they will have a very good credit score.

When I did that, after 12 months (and not properly optimizing my spending) I had a 732 when I then applied for a regular credit card.

Kudos to the winning answer.  Started with secured CU card in 2013. Added rebuilder card in April 2014 (lots of baddies still on reports).  Since she doesn't have anything, a secured card with CU should get you started nicely.

Signature needs updating
Message 11 of 24
happypill
Valued Contributor

Great advice.  I'll get them started with a secured card to start building their history.

Message 12 of 24
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

The standard approach is to get a Secured card from your bank or credit union. After 6-12 months of using the card very lightly and always paying in full, then they will have a very good credit score.

When I did that, after 12 months (and not properly optimizing my spending) I had a 732 when I then applied for a regular credit card.

Kudos to the winning answer.  Started with secured CU card in 2013. Added rebuilder card in April 2014 (lots of baddies still on reports).  Since she doesn't have anything, a secured card with CU should get you started nicely.

I should add that my secured card was $1000 with US Bank, and 2 days shy of a year I applied for the US Bank Platinum card and was granted a $8500 limit card. It was a very good start... And since I cancelled the secured card (they wouldn't unsecure) I didnt have to pay another annual fee.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 13 of 24
DantGwyrdd
Frequent Contributor

I personally started with a rejection from Dell financing and a couple of months after that got pre-approved for a Capital One Platinum.

If I was starting again, I'd try with a Discover and/or Capital One Plat (or some other issuer having a rep for being fine with new/thin files) first and see what happens and then IF that doesn't yield a card, only then would I go the secured route. I really doubt a couple of inqs on a brand new file would do much, if anything, towards preventing anyone from getting a secured card.

Message 14 of 24
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

When I got my Discover card last year I had no credit history at all, blank sheet of paper basically.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 15 of 24
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@Discover2016 wrote:

When I got my Discover card last year I had no credit history at all, blank sheet of paper basically.

Oh my God, I don't know what to say. Somebody slap me! Is this for real, can it possibly be true that you can obtain a credit card without first having a secured card or being an authorized user on someone else's card. Be so kind as to tell us it's a harmless joke, a cheerful attempt at having fun at our expense. Please!

Message 16 of 24
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

@Discover2016 wrote:

Oh my God, I don't know what to say. Somebody slap me! Is this for real, can it possibly be true that you can obtain a credit card without first having a secured card or being an authorized user on someone else's card. Be so kind as to tell us it's a harmless joke, a cheerful attempt at having fun at our expense. Please!

What??

Signature needs updating
Message 17 of 24
Boragard
Established Contributor

Applying!

Message 18 of 24
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

@Discover2016 wrote:

No joke lol. I got my Discover with no history last September and I was surprised to say the least.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 19 of 24
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Discover2016 wrote:

@Discover2016 wrote:

No joke lol. I got my Discover with no history last September and I was surprised to say the least.

Methinks my_own_fico was being a bit off facetious, maybe a little fun this weekend?  Smiley Wink

Signature needs updating
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.