cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s the longest period of time you’ve seen Navy Fed keep a secured card from graduation?

tag
SN1209
Valued Member

What’s the longest period of time you’ve seen Navy Fed keep a secured card from graduation?

I'm going on 19 months with no idea why. My scores have increased almost 200 points since I got their secured card last year, my income has doubled, I've been approved for other cards (including a Wells Fargo secured upgrade that took 4.5 years to graduate) and still nothing. All I can get out of them is that the system reviews accounts and I'm free to apply for other products. Anyone else have a long timer?

6 REPLIES 6
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: What’s the longest period of time you’ve seen Navy Fed keep a secured card from graduation?

Yes, but not me.  Someone here is past the two year mark and is STILL waiting for the card to unsecure.

For whatever reason, some cards just get "stuck" for a very long time with them.

Honestly, if you're in a hurry, you're better off applying for a new, unsecured card with them.

Good luck!

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 7
jonnyc
Regular Contributor

Re: What’s the longest period of time you’ve seen Navy Fed keep a secured card from graduation?

I opened my nRewards back in August of 2019 with the minimum $200 limit and ran approx $3k through the card each month. I was extremely fed up with the lack of growth and would call in to inquire about what I can do once every few months after I passed the first year or so. Back in June of this year when I called I was told I could send a secure message to ask for a manual review. I sent a message detailing my frustration, and how I've switched all my banking to NFCU and put a large chunk of my spend through this card. A couple of days later I received a message that they've manually  unsecured my account and graduated to a $2k limit.

I know they say its only possible by a system review, but I think my experience proves that isn’t the case. Also note, my statements cut on the 20th and this happened between the 30th-2nd.

Bk Chp. 7 Discharged 04/13/2018
Date of filing: 01/11/2018
Message 3 of 7
SN1209
Valued Member

That's so awesome they did that, and also what they've told me repeatedly they cannot do. I also sent a message detailing the same things you did and got the reply that it's all automated and I just have to wait. 

Message 4 of 7
pcmedic2k
Valued Member

Just out of curiosity have you tried their Pre-Qual to see if you may qualify for a different card? Can't hurt to check as it is a soft pull 
Earlier this year after attempting a few times for CLI's on my CashRewards that had sat at 15K for almost 2 years only to be declined each time, I tried their pre-qual page. Came back showing a few of their cards I was prequalified for so pulled the trigger on the Platinum. To my suprise APPROVED with 19.1K SL. 

Message 5 of 7
SN1209
Valued Member

Yeah, I've tried that too with no success. I have had times where I "prequalified" for every product they have, only to be declined at app, then other times it just gives me the secured prequal again. Can't make sense of it. 

Message 6 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@SN1209 wrote:

Yeah, I've tried that too with no success. I have had times where I "prequalified" for every product they have, only to be declined at app, then other times it just gives me the secured prequal again. Can't make sense of it. 

It's been mentioned here (plenty of DPs around) that the NFCU pre-qualification isn't reliable nor 100% guaranteed. If you meet NFCU's UW criteria they will approve the card with or w/o a pre-qualification.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.