Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's up with Credit One

tag
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

What's up with Credit One

Got an email solicitation today to see if I qualify for a Credit One Platinum card........just for the heck of it I did the prequal thing and they came back with an offer with CL starting @ $300 which is par for them but I looked and the card had no AF.  Maybe this is old news,  but the first time I have seen one of their cards with no AF.  Are they trying to get competitive instead of ripping people off with annual fee billed monthly.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What's up with Credit One

I noticed towards the end of my run with them (9 years!) I wasn't paying an AF either. If they had added auto payments I probably would have kept it. Maybe they're trying to do some legit stuff now?
Message 2 of 12
core
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Maybe they're trying to do some legit stuff now?

Interesting thought.  Suppose they came out with ONE or two decent cards.  5 years from now, are there going to be a bunch of users saying "Credit One is not subprime!"?  Before you laugh, that is precisely what happened with another company with the same initials.  That leopard has not changed its spots as far as I'm concerned.

Message 3 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@core wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Maybe they're trying to do some legit stuff now?

Interesting thought.  Suppose they came out with ONE or two decent cards.  5 years from now, are there going to be a bunch of users saying "Credit One is not subprime!"?  Before you laugh, that is precisely what happened with another company with the same initials.  That leopard has not changed its spots as far as I'm concerned.

It is an interesting thought.  Smiley Happy

I'll just add that "prime" and "sub-prime" are subjective on here, but if Credit One were to come out with a card that had a super-low APR, a high credit line, and some other nice perks I wouldn't care what anybody called it, I would probably check it out.

I've never been one for 'peer pressure'... seriously, the issuer could be the First Bank of Hell with underwriting by Satan himself but if the card had the right terms (and wasn't too hot to hold) I would give it a look.  whistle.gif

Message 4 of 12
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

I received an email offer for a platinum card with a $300 or $500 starting line. Um, thanks but no thanks.

However, if they came out with a 3% back, no annual fee card with a decent credit limit I'd be totally on board. Brand recognition is completely trumped by usefulness when it comes to cards!

Message 5 of 12
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

They are trying to move up in the world........I think they are now the "official card of Nascar"........can't imagine how with the low CL

Message 6 of 12
greent
Frequent Contributor

I have credit one bank credit card out of necessity. I needed to rebuild my credit. I got a 300 credit limit recently they increased it to 450 I requested a CL increase a couple months ago and was denied because I haven't had the card for a year yet. . The annual fee is $75 , I've had this card sice last September. I will close it in August because I dont want to pay the annual fee again. My CK is TU 680 given by Discover and EX 682 given by Amex. I started at about 580.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recall getting a Credit One mailer a few months back, no AF, promised a decent SL.  APR was still 30% though.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@disdreamin wrote:

I received an email offer for a platinum card with a $300 or $500 starting line. Um, thanks but no thanks.

However, if they came out with a 3% back, no annual fee card with a decent credit limit I'd be totally on board. Brand recognition is completely trumped by usefulness when it comes to cards!

Lol, dream on. There isn't a single card out there that offers 3% straight cash back on all purchases, especially with no AF. 

Message 9 of 12
RonM21
Valued Contributor

It is generally an interesting topic imo, because you would think they have to be well aware of some of the bad rep they are getting. Sometimes, that can trigger a change in strategy. Whether that is part of what is going on, who knows.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.