Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s your favorite card from NFCU?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What’s your favorite card from NFCU?

I am just curious what your favorite NFCU card is and why. 

For me, I signed up for the cashRewards and as I got approved for the lowest interest rate (11.4% in September, it’s 11.65% now) and I make use of the Member Mall whenever I can, I am hoping that it grows substantially as their other cards are not as useful for me - I am homebound so travel, dining, entertainment, these things wouldn’t matter much to me. 

The Member Mall means just about everything I buy online I get 2.5% or more cash back (1.5% base plus minimum 1% from Member Mall) other than Amazon but I don’t do much with Amazon until Black Friday and Discover has that locked down. 

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Re: What’s your favorite card from NFCU?

ALL of them...  gigglesign.gif

I have the Cash Rewards & the AMEX they both rock IMO.  music2.gif

NFCU has been an all-around fantabulous institution. As credit unions go- they are #1 in my book!   

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

NFCU has been an all-around fantabulous institution. As credit unions go- they are #1 in my book!   

What makes the Amex so good though? I was looking at the terms and it says a statement credit starts at $50 which would be $1667 at 3X (3%), $2500 at 2X (2%) and $5000 at 1X (1%)?

I like the cashRewards because I can redeem any amount at any time. It seems Amex and Go Rewards have minimum redemptions (Go is $25, I have a buddy who just closed his and had it merged with his cashRewards because of this)?

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your post, Saeren. This is very needed. 

I'm 1-2 years new at cc usage and learning so much here. 

Meanwhile, I joined NFCU by learning through this site, and I have to say, I LOVE THEM. I've only just started with them by achieving their platinum card, and felt very accomplished by being accepted by them. I have CAP1 & Chase for rewards, only 1.5, and I do a lot of Amazon shopping and was recently approved for their card.

I'm going to look further into NFCU for better rewards. Although I'm in the process of receiving my new Amex cards soon, NFCU has done good to me and I'd like to further my business with them! 

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for your post, Saeren. This is very needed. 

I'm 1-2 years new at cc usage and learning so much here. 

Meanwhile, I joined NFCU by learning through this site, and I have to say, I LOVE THEM. I've only just started with them by achieving their platinum card, and felt very accomplished by being accepted by them. I have CAP1 & Chase for rewards, only 1.5, and I do a lot of Amazon shopping and was recently approved for their card.

I'm going to look further into NFCU for better rewards. Although I'm in the process of receiving my new Amex cards soon, NFCU has done good to me and I'd like to further my business with them! 

Well it was your idea, I just took it and made it a reality Smiley Happy

I have been very happy with NFCU as well. Had I known I was eligible (also thanks to MF forums!), I would have gone for the card in March instead of making it my 4th card in a single year by apping in September but the fact they approved me with $3k despite the sudden burst of credit seeking (I had only had one new CC in the past 2 years and I only had 3 total before my app spree that started in March) says a lot — hopefully my CLI request on Monday is fruitful but even if it isn’t, the card will be my spend card anyway for most things. 

Message 5 of 23
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

What makes the Amex so good though? I was looking at the terms and it says a statement credit starts at $50 which would be $1667 at 3X (3%), $2500 at 2X (2%) and $5000 at 1X (1%)?

I like the cashRewards because I can redeem any amount at any time. It seems Amex and Go Rewards have minimum redemptions (Go is $25, I have a buddy who just closed his and had it merged with his cashRewards because of this)?

Well I added my DH as the AU and he uses this as his "work" card. I believe I've had it less than 5 months and he's put about 16000. on it. Yikes that hurts..

When I used the rewards last time, I believe it was $135. and it just "paid" for line by line charges. I have a very good interest rate, even tho I don't carry balances, you never know. 

He puts a ton of spend through it so the rewards seem to work out.

I did just get the PenFed Power Cash Rewards so as soon as I bite the bullet & spend a HP to open a checking acct, I may be moving a lot of the spending to that card. 

Message 6 of 23
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

I am sad to say you are mistaken.  Go Rewards has the same $50 minimum redemption as the More Rewards (also known as the NFCU Amex).  I think it is disgraceful that a credit union owned by its members is so flagrantly trying to encourage "breakage" in its credit card rewards program.  Breakage is contrary to the spirit of credit unions.  I feel free to be indignant because I have been an NFCU member since 1974.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 7 of 23
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I can certainly see the value of NFCU in general...

-Good APRs, especially for for average credit/income

-Often good limits for the same

-Great customer service

It seems to me like the differences between non-rebuilder NFCU cards are pretty small, though. I just see slightly differing 3/2/1 categories, and a modest AF on Flagship. Am I missing something?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

Well I added my DH as the AU and he uses this as his "work" card. I believe I've had it less than 5 months and he's put about 16000. on it. Yikes that hurts..

When I used the rewards last time, I believe it was $135. and it just "paid" for line by line charges. I have a very good interest rate, even tho I don't carry balances, you never know. 

He puts a ton of spend through it so the rewards seem to work out.

I did just get the PenFed Power Cash Rewards so as soon as I bite the bullet & spend a HP to open a checking acct, I may be moving a lot of the spending to that card. 

I guess that if I had that kind of spending I could justify that card too but 16,000 is close to what I get for the whole year 😅

PenFed was less than pleased with my new accounts this year so I got a no from them but they were nice enough to tell me I would have qualified for the Siggy based on my profile if my cards were all at least a year old so maybe I’ll try in 2020 when my BK falls off Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuy - ouch! Sorry, I’m totally mistaken. That is indeed quite bad. My SSFCU Power Cash Back card has a $25 minimum redemption and that was enough for it to get SD’d. I don’t really know why they choose to be so unfriendly. 

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.