cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s your favorite card from NFCU?

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: What’s your favorite card from NFCU?

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I am sad to say you are mistaken.  Go Rewards has the same $50 minimum redemption as the More Rewards (also known as the NFCU Amex).  I think it is disgraceful that a credit union owned by its members is so flagrantly trying to encourage "breakage" in its credit card rewards program.  Breakage is contrary to the spirit of credit unions.  I feel free to be indignant because I have been an NFCU member since 1974.

I wonder if NFCU might reply that just using a card for a bonus category or for no FTF is also contrary to the spirit of the credit union. A regular card user isn't likely to take very long to hit the $50 minimum.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I am sad to say you are mistaken.  Go Rewards has the same $50 minimum redemption as the More Rewards (also known as the NFCU Amex).  I think it is disgraceful that a credit union owned by its members is so flagrantly trying to encourage "breakage" in its credit card rewards program.  Breakage is contrary to the spirit of credit unions.  I feel free to be indignant because I have been an NFCU member since 1974.

I wonder if NFCU might reply that just using a card for a bonus category or for no FTF is also contrary to the spirit of the credit union. A regular card user isn't likely to take very long to hit the $50 minimum.

$25 is far more reasonable but when you have tons of competing cards offering no minimum redemption and you also offer a product in cashRewards that has no minimum redemption, it’s a bit of a slap in the face to say “here, spend $3,334 and we will give you $50”

This is especially true when you factor in that credit unions are supposed to view all of their members as important and that includes low income members such as myself. It would take me a year with my regular expenses all being charged to my credit card (recurring plus grocery budget) to hit $3660 and thus get my bonus at $3334. 

ETA: Also Go Rewards’ base 1% rate makes that $5000 for redemption. Meanwhile cashRewards would have gotten $50 at $3334 and that’s assuming you never use the Member Mall either where you can spend $2000 maximum there and earn $50 with a lot of offers being significantly higher return. 

Message 12 of 23
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I have no idea.  My Go Rewards card has been living in the sock drawer for the last few years.  I keep it around only because the account dates back to the 1980s.  I've spent one heckuva a lot of money through that card, just not in the last few years.  On the other hand, I do use my cashReward card from time to time, despite its uncompetitive 1.5% cash back rate, because I think it is the best of NFCU's cards.  I can redeem any amount any time.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuy Do you not use Member Mall? I ended up closing out my CR at 2.5% when all purchases were averaged last statement thanks to Member Mall. 

Message 14 of 23
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I have looked at Member Mall from time to time, including a few minutes ago, but I don't do much online shopping, and when I do it is usually at specialty retailers who don't participate in shopping portals.  The deals look good.  The one vendor that I might try to use is Macy's.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was actually shocked because I thought for sure I would be waiting a long time but I made two purchases from the Microsoft Store and got my extra 2% cashback posted 2 days after posting for one and 3 days for the other and these were Black Friday sales. 

It’s definitely a lot less hassle than using portals like ebates and such. 

Message 16 of 23
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Interesting on Member Mall. I would say enjoy my CR the most even if its only 1.5 %. Who cares, a rewards card and they recently lowered my apr 5 whole points to its lowest available after only a yearSmiley Happy. Plat is cool too. Goal now to get that to its lowest apr n3xt yearSmiley Happy
Message 17 of 23
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UpperNwGuy - ouch! Sorry, I’m totally mistaken. That is indeed quite bad. My SSFCU Power Cash Back card has a $25 minimum redemption and that was enough for it to get SD’d. I don’t really know why they choose to be so unfriendly. 

Yeah, I had forgotten about the $50 minimum (and $50 increments as well) for statement credits (or savings deposits) when I did my redemption a couple of months ago on my GoRewards.  Smiley Frustrated

I thought I was going to have to leave ~$30 behind, then I realized that I could redeem for $25 e-gift cards; I went with one for Walmart.  I still ended up leaving ~$5 behind, but that's acceptable considering there was a good sign up bonus.  Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 23
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

My old favorite was the nRewards Secured...  as of last month it is now the GoRewards Card.  I had the nRewards for 26 months and did use the Member Mall often and racked up $400.00 in cash back that was deposited in my account when I made the switch to the GoRewards the day of graduation. I also received a $25.00 Olive Garden GC in order to clear the rest of the rewards. I left behind 430 points but I can make that up fast!

I may have a new favorite soon as I just broke 600...  up from a low of 408 in terms of EQ FICO 08's anyway.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am just curious what your favorite NFCU card is and why. 

For me, I signed up for the cashRewards and as I got approved for the lowest interest rate (11.4% in September, it’s 11.65% now) and I make use of the Member Mall whenever I can, I am hoping that it grows substantially as their other cards are not as useful for me - I am homebound so travel, dining, entertainment, these things wouldn’t matter much to me. 

The Member Mall means just about everything I buy online I get 2.5% or more cash back (1.5% base plus minimum 1% from Member Mall) other than Amazon but I don’t do much with Amazon until Black Friday and Discover has that locked down. 

My favourite NFCU card is actually Platinum-even though I do not have one. The reason of course is because of its low APR (if qualified-which I would be). I currently have the Cash Rewards; however, I have not really used it much since I got my USAA Limitless card last year. I am thinking about changing my Cash Rewards to Platinum to lock in that rate of 7.99%

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.