Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your highest Credit Card limit?

tag
TheBronxBomber
Regular Contributor

What's your highest Credit Card limit?

When I applied for the Amex Delta Reserve card, I nearly fell out of my seat when she told me that my CL will be $25,000. Is there a maximum amount that personal revolving cards cannot exceed? What is your highest CL and which card is it? American Express Delta Reserve: $25,000.

Current myFICO Scores:03/08/12 EQ: 801 • TU: 801 • Bank of America TU FICO: 822 • Credit Karma Vantage: 873

My Wallet: Amex Business Platinum | Amex SPG (5k) | Amex Delta Reserve (33k) | Citi ThankYou Premier World MasterCard (26k) | Chase Mileage Club Visa Signature (15k)
Sock Drawer: Barclay Ring MasterCard (10k) | Discover More (6.5k) | CapitalOne VentureOne (4.5k) | Macy's | Amex Platinum Personal
Message 1 of 245
244 REPLIES 244
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: What's your highest Credit Card limit?

Amex maxes at $25k for most users, beyond that takes a good bit of extra scrutiny.  Many credit unions will go to $50k.  There really isn't a max credit limit for a person but each lender determines what there maximum exposure to an individual is.  Some places will say that you have to much available credit with other lenders but that isn't the norm, BOA is common with it though.

Message 2 of 245
anybodii
New Contributor

I couldn't possibly see a bank wanting to give more than $25,000 ( nor have I heard of too many people with higher than this ), what could you possibly buy with that much on a credit card? Car dealers won't let you charge a car on it, they don't want to pay that fee! If I were a bank, I would be willing to give a generous limit, but what if you lose your job. Sure you might make $100,000 now, but what if you have to accept a job for only $60,000, first thing you stop paying is the credit card.. its unsecured.

**EDIT** I forgot Banks don't think when they lend LOL, retract that comment about if I were a bank... that's like saying If I was a Senator I would...

Message 3 of 245
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

@anybodii wrote:

I couldn't possibly see a bank wanting to give more than $25,000 ( nor have I heard of too many people with higher than this ), what could you possibly buy with that much on a credit card? Car dealers won't let you charge a car on it, they don't want to pay that fee! If I were a bank, I would be willing to give a generous limit, but what if you lose your job. Sure you might make $100,000 now, but what if you have to accept a job for only $60,000, first thing you stop paying is the credit card.. its unsecured.

**EDIT** I forgot Banks don't think when they lend LOL, retract that comment about if I were a bank... that's like saying If I was a Senator I would...

Au contraire. 

Just this past weekend I purchased a used pickup truck from a local dealer for $17,500 and put it all on a credit card.  Then, I transferred funds from savings, paid the card and will enjoy the 17,500 rewards points after the statement drops.  I know it is not a universal policy but some dealers will accept credit cards.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 245
john398
Senior Contributor

@Itsmeagain wrote:

@anybodii wrote:

Au contraire. 

Just this past weekend I purchased a used pickup truck from a local dealer for $17,500 and put it all on a credit card.  Then, I transferred funds from savings, paid the card and will enjoy the 17,500 rewards points after the statement drops.  I know it is not a universal policy but some dealers will accept credit cards.

True just curious would they of offered you a discount if you paid cash? I am sure they had tp pay a lot to the cc company

Message 5 of 245
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

$22,000.  UIECU UIAA Rewards Visa

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 6 of 245
anybodii
New Contributor

I guess I couldn't really speak for every car dealer. I wonder if they would have offered a special deal either, why not just pass the savings off to you directly? I've seen a few used dealers put ads for allowing you to use your credit card, but most are shady dealers. I wonder what a chargeback would be like on that...

Message 7 of 245
JustMe77
Frequent Contributor

I know someone with a $50,000 limit on one credit card, but I'm not sure what kind of card it is. I was a little shocked when I saw the statement.

My highest current limit is $3000. My highest limit ever was $6000.

As to the car thing, I think my mom bought a car once using her credit card (well, she was going to pay cash but wanted the airline miles, lol).

Current Cards: Banana Republic Visa ($5,300), Chase Freedom ($2,000), Discover It ($11,500), Amex Costco True Earnings ($5,000), Chase Slate ($2,500)
Message 8 of 245
john398
Senior Contributor

My highest is a store card $4400

Message 9 of 245
mxp114
Valued Contributor

I think for most lenders, anything above $20-$25k requires documentation to verify income. I know that Bank of America can issue cards up to $250,000. That might be the cap. I think Discover caps at $100,000.

Message 10 of 245
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.