Not applicable

Re: What's your ideal CC portfolio?

Right now I have 

Chase Hyatt

Discover It

Amex Everyday

Capitol One Quicksilver

Care Credit

Dont know if its ideal or not, but it works for me. 

Message 21 of 35
FicoScore626
Frequent Contributor

Ideal for me will be these three:

1. Discover

2. Citi

3. Visa/MasterCard from one of the other big banks

Message 22 of 35
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

I'm good with what I have.  I'd love to eventually get an Amex Platinum but I would need to travel more to justify the AF.  I don't use my Barclaycard Arrival anymore but am keeping it open for as long as I can for the AAoA.  I might also add the Chase Hyatt card but I'm sure I'm at 5/24 right now and I don't have any travel plans in the near future to use the awesome sign up bonus.

Message 23 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

-Chase Sapphire Reserve

-Chase Freedom

-FNBO AmEx

-Discover It

-AmEx Everyday Preferred

-A low rate CU card with no BT/CA fees in the sockdrawer

I have the first four. Waiting until July for 5/24 eligibility to grab some last Chase sign-up bonuses, then I'll get an EDP and the CU card and be happy with my credit situation for a while. I have Sallie Mae and it would make my ideal list, but I assume it will be cut off at some point, so I refuse to get my hopes up! 

Message 24 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck on your credit journey!

Message 25 of 35
awp317
Frequent Contributor

My ideal portfolio personally if I were not in a chasing for points or perks as a hobby kinda guy is this. 

AMEX platinum or black for daily spending points earning 

Chase sapphire reserve for traveling/hotels and points earning

Amex Blue Cash Preferred for 6% cash back. 

and that's it, really all I need personally. I'm thankfully at a point in my life where I don't need credit and could get by with my debit card and checkbook, I just have it because its a hobby for me most of the time and because while small you do get rewards just for spending money you were spending anyway, just adding in the middle man of a credit card that's paid off next month and then getting rewarded for that is fantastic IMO. But that is life, those that need it can't get it and those that don't need it get all of it. Credit wise at least, when I was just starting out and every penny counted I couldn't get banks to touch me, and was happy to get a 4 figure limit when they did. Now I really don't keep a card unless it's at least 25k limit or will grow there within a year, if not, away it goes. Everybody gets a good jab at me carrying around just a cheap metal money clip to hold my drivers license, my CSR (the only card im using these days) and a few hundred bucks cash just to be safe. All my other cards sit at home in a wallet in a drawer and are selectively used when needed or to keep active to keep my AAOA intact. 

Now my company credit I would love all those limits tripled at the very least as we run tons of spend through them and often use the credit to keep cash reserves un tapped before net 30 invoices are paid. 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 26 of 35
UncleB
Credit Mentor

For the first time in years, it feels strange to have not only what I need, but what I want as well.  Smiley Happy

Here's what I have and how I use it:

NFCU MC - No-fee balance transfers, and low APR when carrying a balance for a month or two is easier

USAA Visa - Overdraft protection for checking, no-fee cash advances at purchase APR

Cap One Visa Sig - Good 0% BT offers, 1.5% general spend

Cap One MC - Oldest card (nine years), 15.15% APR, BT offers

Amex BCP - Groceries (6%) and stores at the mall (3%)

BoA BBR - Good BT card, $100/year rewards

Citi Diamond Preferred - 21 month 0% BT and purchases

Blispay - 2% general spend, special financing

Sam's Club MC - Restaurants (3%), gas (5%), and travel (3%)

Amex PRG - Amex offers, needed charge card for AU

Amex Delta - Got this one for bonus, and to eventually transfer CL to BCP.  Will be closed in 2018.

Care Credit - Dental, special financing

Lowe's - Special financing (oldest card - 12 years)

Belk - Second oldest card (10 years)

Chase IHG - Good bonus, "in" with Chase

Discover - 5% categories, good BT offers

Obviously these don't all fit in my wallet, so about half are in a box in my closet ("the SD") at any given time.  Unless my spending pattern changes significantly, I don't see a need for a change in the lineup in the immediate future. 

I might add a Venture around the holidays to harvest the bonus and later transfer the limit to my QS MasterCard (and eventually work it into a World MasterCard) but that's just a thought at this time.

I also realize I'm a bit heavy with Synchrony (four cards, $53k total exposure) but I'm not interested in closing my two oldest cards, and the other two (Sam's Club MC and Care Credit) I'm actively using, so I'm just hopeful Synchrony will leave me alone.  Other than Synchrony and Capital one I only have one account per lender, and I'm not concerned with having two Capital One cards.

Message 27 of 35
minski
Established Contributor

Ideally, I would have 2-3 credit cards that would cover all of my spending areas - cell phone, restaurants/fast food, books, online shopping (2 US Bank Cash + and at least one 2% cash back?), a BT/balance carrying card (maybe? don't know which one would be best or just apply as needed) and one no foreign transaction fee card, preferably one that will earn cash back. 

Example:

This quarter I am using US Bank Cash+ for my cellphone bill; Discover for Amazon.com purchases including books and ebooks; Chase Freedom or Citi Dividend for dining; Citi Dividend for groceries and gas; Fidelity Visa for general spend.

Next quarter will be US Bank Cash+ for cellphone bill and fast/food/restaurants (for December); Discover for Amazon.com; Citi Dividend for dining, groceries and gas until end of November; Fidelity Visa for general spend and groceries for December. 

I have 9 credit cards, and planning on getting two more by the end of the year but those two are only to "build a credit relationship" with credit unions else I wouldn't bother. I'm also a bit of rewards chaser and want the BoA BBR card but I'm waiting until next year for that. 

I'm debating whether to keep the Slate or hang on to it for the occasional 0% APR 2% balance transfer fee promos I've been getting. I don't anticipate needing to balance transfer any time soon. These days I don't make credit card purchases that I cannot PIF; however, I have had occasion to carry a balance so want to be prepared for that. Slate promos vs Barclay Ring vs ? If I start getting the same or better balance transfer promos on the Freedom, I might transfer Slate CL and close it but haven't gotten one yet. On the other hand, Slate's APR is 13.24% compared to Freedom's 14.24%....

Message 28 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Daily Drivers: Amex BCP (my main one), Discover It, Penfed Promise

Have now and will probably move credit lines/cancel: Amex ED

Sock Drawer: Not really sock drawer ones since I do use all of my cards monthly and PIF but Amex PRG, Ulta Rewards MC

I want CSR but I had a bad time with Chase and Citi years ago and will wait quite a while before I app for that one. I'm pretty happy with what I do currently have and plan to garden and hopefully improve my CL's with them all. 

Message 29 of 35
driftless
Valued Contributor

CSR & Freedom

PRG

QS Visa

Ink+ for biz

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.