Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your next card for 2017?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What's your next card for 2017?

@Anonymous wrote:

Going to be checking for in-branch pre-approvals with Chase for CSR and eventually Ink Cash as long as it takes - however if I stay in the garden from July this year, it will pretty much be July 2018 for me to drop below 5/24 for normal Chase approvals...

And with a 6 week vacation coming up in a few months, it seems more prudent to use that spending to rack up more sign-up goodies if possible. If I can't get a CSR by probably late February, I'm toying around with opening a few other cards such as Amex SPG Biz or EDP, or maybe try for a Ritz to eventually move limits to increase total Chase exposure.

Haven't really decided what to do yet, as I would be most happy with a CSR and closing/combining next year instead of adding a bunch more to the sock drawer.

if you have the spend and arent seeing in branch prequal 2-3 weeks before your vacation, then I would certainly look at the grand scope of things. If 5/24 is something that means a lot to you then by all means you should go for that.  But sometimes if we wait we will have missed out on opportunities too.  Easy to get 30k MRs on the EDP, 25k SPG on the spg biz, $1000 on boa ML, I could go on.  I would check out reddit.com/r/awardtravel to see if theres a card that would go well with your vacation, if not, allow you to have an even nicer experience.  Would be pretty easy to get southwest companion pass for all of 2017 and 2018 by utilizing the transfer between MRs and SPG with mariott. 250k mariott points equates SW CP for 2 yrs and 100k SW miles.

I have also considered grabbing the EDP myself!  Or at least the spg biz and the amex BRG.

Message 11 of 120
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got $6,200 worth of CLIs on two cards so my plan is to cancel my two cards with lowest limits that equal about the same amount.  I want to keep the same relative amount of revolving credit lines but decrease the amount of cards I have.  I hit my goal of one card with a $10,000 line then a few days later got a second to the $10,000 line.  I have reached my own personal goals I started out with.  At this point I don't think any other credit card is worth a hard pull.  I will be at 0 hard pulls soon and would like to keep it that way for a good long time.  Having wimpy credit lines made me feel so immature and behind in life.  Now I feel like a mature adult and back in the game.

Message 12 of 120
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Assuming BoA is still offering the BBR card by thte time I am ready to app, ideally 2 more BBR cards if possible.

Also was eyeing the InFirst CU VISA with Citi Costco rewards structure, plus getting EX FICO Score 2 high enough to have my Unify VISA APR lowered to the best-available rate 8.99% F.  I still haven't ruled out apping for the Unify FCU Variable-Rate VISA at 5.24% V either, although I prolly won't app for that one in the end.

Message 13 of 120
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just PC'd my Citi Diamond Preferred to the Double Cash this month (after foolishly holding onto it all this time not realizing I can do this)

I plan to get Discover It and eventually Amex Blue Cash so I can have a card from each of the major CC creditors
Message 14 of 120
Anonymous
Not applicable

PC to QS and CLI on current cards is all i need for 2017.

Message 15 of 120
BirchBarlow
Contributor

Well I would love to have BOA BBR but alas I was denied because I already have other cards.  That was their reason for denying me.  Personally I think it's because I've only over paid in full and they denied me because they know they would have to pay me the reward.

Message 16 of 120
BigBS
Senior Contributor

No plans to app for anything, but who knows?  Would have to be something better than nice, though.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 17 of 120
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@barthooper wrote:

I just got my Citi DC less than two months ago. I wasn't planning on getting any new cards in the near future, as all my needs were met. That changed with the coming discontinuation of Sallie Mae, so I'll likely get the Blue Cash Preferred. I've determined that my grocery spend is enough to offset the annual fee and make it come out ahead of a 3% on groceries card. I'll most likely use it for gas as well unless the current quarter is gas/transportation for Discover. I'll miss year round 5% gas, but not enough to jump through the hoops necessary to join Penfed/get the Penfed card.

Good for you barthooper for doing the math!  Themanwhocan has some excellent charts for grocery/gas/general spend as well as low interest rate cards and where to get scores.

I was pretty set on apping for the Blue Cash Everyday as I had continually received emails for $150 after 1k spend then 5% on travel up to $200 for 6 months.  It also came with 0% for 15 months then 13.24%. When I phoned in to ask about it I was offered the amazon version with the exact same rate terms, and was told it expired january 17th.  Upon futher investigation the offer has completely disappeared.  With so many recent apps I am hesitant to apply with amex since I can't even get an APR reduction from them now.  The plan was to get that and possibly the SPG Business card, but I can put that on hold for now.  I am still going to wait until rumors start with the Chase Sapphire Reserve bonus going down then will go in branch to see if I am still prequalified.

I also would really like to apply for the Alaska Airlines card  or Merril Lynch and a BBR with BOA but I just might take it easy for now.  Its tempting to take the single inquiry with bank of america and grab two cards. I have been with them since september of 2015.  But my scores seemed to be stuck in gridlock due to so many recurrent inquiries for increases or new cards. Looking back in the last 2 years I have opened 13 major credit cards, and in the last 12 months 6.  That is a lot!

Thank you! Yes I used Themanwhocan's charts in making my determination. Interesting that the Amazon offer seems to have disappeared? Last I saw it said it was valid until the 11th next month. I've checked my Amex preapprovals and had the 250 bonus with the 200 in Amazon for both the BCE and BCP just in the last couple of days. Just checked the main BCE/BCP pages and still see the $200 Amazon bonus as well. In fact, the Amazon 200 might be tempting enough for me to apply for the BCP prior to Sallie getting discontinued.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 18 of 120
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I'm good on cards unless something new comes around. Anyone heard any rumors? Going to do a 3x CLI amex on Jan 5.
Message 19 of 120
UncleB
Credit Mentor

This is an interesting question... I've actually got everything I need and most of what I want, but I do have a few things I'm looking at.  I don't consider these 'must-haves' and the jury is still out of if I'll actually app, but in any case here's what I'm considering:

• USAA Limitless Visa - this card would be absolutely perfect for me, but I'm not holding my breath.  I'm quasi-gardening to give myself the best chances at getting approved for this card (once it comes to my state), but I'm concerned that they'll say I have enough/too much credit already.  I already have a 1% Visa with them with a $8400 CL, and they did give me an auto-CLI last year after some heavy usage so perhaps that's a good sign.  If only they would allow you to PC existing accounts... <sigh>.
  • Amex Everyday - my PRG might be on the 'chopping block' (the jury is still out on that as well), and this is a good no-AF option for storing MR points, not to mention the Amex Offers, which have been pretty good the last year.
  • Fidelity Visa - it's a solid 2% card, and would free up my Blispay to keep for the 0% offers only (yes, I know you can do both at once, but it's simpler if you just use a different card).  I do have a really old Fidelity brokerage account with a tiny balance, but my income/resources are a bit modest for their target demographic so approval might be 'iffy'.
  • Capital One #3 - I'm generally not a churner, but in this case it's not quite churning since you can move the CL to an existing card and the $400 Venture bonus is tempting.  In any case, because I don't have a WEMC anyway I might consider keeping it separate just for that.  (Note that I'm not willing to combine my existing QS MasterCard since it's my oldest bank card by a significant number of years).
  • BoA BBR #2 - this one is still in the 'maybe' category; if Synchrony loses their mind and does something with my Sam's Club MasterCard I'll need to get the AAA Visa, and I would hate for my 'quest' for another $100 annual bonus to interfere with my chances at the AAA Visa card.  Definitely something to think about...

Of course there's always the chance something new will come along, so I want to keep my apps to a minimum so that I'm in the best shape possible at all times.  Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 120
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.