Did you mean: 

What's your next card for 2017?

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What's your next card for 2017?

Oh yay now I know how to post blank messages. Cat Tongue

Anyway my plans for 2017:

I am so sick of yet one more interview but they are running out of people to possibly interview me and assuming this next one passes and they kick me an offer letter I will be walking into a local Chase branch and cold apping a CSR.  If I don't get it, may apply for an Amex Plat which I am confident I can get.

First Tech: need a Chip + PIN priority card, ideally a MC, one and done as only game in town with those two requirements.

Beyond that I may pickup something with Unify or NFCU as I am going to sitting on my credit hands for 2-3 years unless....

USAA Limitless gets released into the wild.

Oh and the Amazon store card, **bleep** it Sallie!

Really I suspect I will be consolidating or closing more cards than opening for once.

        
Message 51 of 120
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

@barthooper wrote:

@Justrebuilding wrote:

Had not planned for apps in 2017 but now that SM is dead, I will have a big gap. Won't have to worry about groceries until July as I can still use the SM until March and then Chase has me covered with the Freedom 2Q. 

Will probably go for the BCP mid year. By then my BK will be 9.5 yrs old and hopefully they won't hold it against me. 

May consider the USAA Limitless card when it's available in my area. 

DH will app for the Citi DC in Jan and we'll take advantage of the 0% interest and cash back to knock out some expenses at the beginning of the year. 

Agree with you about SM being dead. Will likely get BCP sooner though.

I didn't think the DC had a 0% period? It is 0% on BTs for 18 months though. I got it in Oct and it wasn't in the terms, unless it is part of certain targeted offers?

He got a pre qualified offer in the mail and it has 0% Apr for 9 months. 

Chase Sapphire Reserve 10k Cap 1 QS 15K, Cap 1 QS 5K, Cap 1 QS 4K, Cap 1 QS 4K, GE Care Cr 7K NFCU Cash Rewards 10K Walmart 1.3K NavCheck 5K Freedom 6K Freedom 2.5K Hyatt 4K Sallie Mae 5K Barclay Rewards 3K Macy's 1K
US Airways 1.5K, Discover 8K,
Message 52 of 120
kdm31091
Super Contributor

The only caution with UMB Simply Rewards is that it would be nice if someone confirms what a point is actually worth. 3x doesn't necessarily mean 3%. It's already just a "3x on some things" card, and if the value for the points isn't great, it will make it a hard sell against a Double Cash or other flat 2% card.

I swear some people were previously denied for geographic reasons for UMB, but it's possible they got rid of the requirement. The application doesn't mention it at all. Still, I'm always leery when the point values are not esy to find.

Message 53 of 120
redpat
Senior Contributor

Any chase or amex card with a 200k sign-up bonus...........I wish!

Amex bus plat for the 50% airline rebate on MR redemptions.  

Giving me 10% on booked airfare using my personal amex plat.  Bye, bye CSR for airline bookings.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 54 of 120
Anonymous
Not applicable

@EAJuggalo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The next card I want is the Capital One Quicksilver. I want it in my wallet! So far, despite my clean report, I've only been able to get approved for co-branded cards...which is fine since I travel a lot, but I would like to get my foot in the door with regular bank cards. The QS appeals to me the most out of all the cash back cards. But I'll probably wait another 6 months or so before applying...unless I get a pre-approval offer.

Isn't that a Cap1 Plat in your sig?  If you've had that more than two months you should be able to PC that into a QS.  At least that's what they did with mine in April.

I just got a Citi DC, Amazon and Chase FU.  So in the coming year I'm really only interested in an Amex BCE and a Discover, maybe by the middle of the year I'll have one or the other.

For the available 2% CB cards, why I feel Blispay is better than the Citi DC? -- Although there has been bad experience with Blispay on their service. There is a $25 threshold on their cashback threshold amount. 

Message 55 of 120
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Need to get the Amtrak card...3% on all purchases and 6% on travel is amazing for me. But BoA won't even take a look at me again until all accounts are 6 months old! Frustrating to wait but should be very worth it

Just checked the Amtrek card, it seems the CB is only for Amtrek points? But it's a good deal if you travel a lot on rails. Thanks for sharing.

Message 56 of 120
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Maybe CSR, still thinking even though the numbers are compelling!

Was thinking of the Amazon store card to replace SM, but now I think I will just buy AMazon gift cards using the OBC.

Message 57 of 120
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

The only caution with UMB Simply Rewards is that it would be nice if someone confirms what a point is actually worth. 3x doesn't necessarily mean 3%. It's already just a "3x on some things" card, and if the value for the points isn't great, it will make it a hard sell against a Double Cash or other flat 2% card.

I swear some people were previously denied for geographic reasons for UMB, but it's possible they got rid of the requirement. The application doesn't mention it at all. Still, I'm always leery when the point values are not esy to find.

All good points to consider, as usual.  I've been reading their "fine print" and I'm not seeing anywhere where they explicitly states what their points are worth, but I imagine they're like most cashback point systems in that 1 point equals 1cent.  They reason I like this card is that it covers all the categories that I have had to spread myself over mulitple cards for.  I am constantly on the hunt for simplification, which is why I loved the Sallie Mae card, because it checked so many boxes within a single card.  These days it seems like I'd have better luck finding a unicorn.  2% cards are great, but I think I was spoiled with the 5% back on categories that are actually useful to me.  I would still carry a 2% card always (Blispay in my case), but it would nice to supplement that with the UMB card.  Hope springs eternal! Smiley Wink

Message 58 of 120
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

If you look at the UMB reward catalog:

https://bankrewards.revloyalty.com/groupUMB/catalog/storefronts.php#/storefront/gift-cards

Gift cards are 1 point = 1 cent

The site I got this from says:

So the obvious next question is, how much are the points worth? And the answer is: one cent each! Check out the rewards catalog and you’ll see you can get account credits for 100 points per dollar.

Message 59 of 120
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

If you look at the UMB reward catalog:

https://bankrewards.revloyalty.com/groupUMB/catalog/storefronts.php#/storefront/gift-cards

Gift cards are 1 point = 1 cent

The site I got this from says:

So the obvious next question is, how much are the points worth? And the answer is: one cent each! Check out the rewards catalog and you’ll see you can get account credits for 100 points per dollar.

Thank you for that!

Message 60 of 120
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.