cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your "sorry we don't take Discover/Amex" story?

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: What's your "sorry we don't take Discover/Amex" story?

A small restaurant I frequent will take Amex but not Discover.

Interestingly, the Great Clips where I get my hair cut is MC/Visa only... no Amex or Discover. 

Message 31 of 47
shmacckk
Regular Contributor

Krispy Kreme dougnuts store near me is the only place I have been turned down using my Discover card.

Message 32 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

A few mom & pop restaurants won't accept Amex despite having Amex window decals.
Message 33 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess you should tell them to take the AMEX decal down then.

Message 34 of 47
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Popeyes so far in my area doesn’t take disco or Amex. 

Silly MB,  dont you know Popeye only accepts SPG....Spinach Smiley Wink

Message 35 of 47
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

Grocery and gas I don’t have a problem with Amex. Dining it is rarely accepted but I don’t usually eat at chains. Paying Utilities and other bills it is never accepted. It’s not enough for me to invest in a particular Amex points program, for sure. Amex will always be a perks card for me and spend will go to Visa/MC.
Message 36 of 47
Kree
Established Contributor

When I had a store I chose not to accept Amex because the fees were literally twice as high.  something like 60cents + 4% versus 30 cents +2% for the others.   This was about a decade ago, so don't quote me the specifics.

When adding in cost of product, labor costs, rent costs, utilities etc,  a 10% profit margin is usually pretty good. If someone pushes a million dollars through their store, they are walking out with 100k a year.  When you take an extra 2% off the top, that is a very real 20,000 out of the owners pocket. (not that 100% of people want to pay with amex, just an extreme example).

Message 37 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kree wrote:

When I had a store I chose not to accept Amex because the fees were literally twice as high.  something like 60cents + 4% versus 30 cents +2% for the others.   This was about a decade ago, so don't quote me the specifics.

When adding in cost of product, labor costs, rent costs, utilities etc,  a 10% profit margin is usually pretty good. If someone pushes a million dollars through their store, they are walking out with 100k a year.  When you take an extra 2% off the top, that is a very real 20,000 out of the owners pocket. (not that 100% of people want to pay with amex, just an extreme example).

The issue there is that AMEX used to be a card for the wealthy. Those who preferred AMEX spent more money in the first place, so store owners didn't have a right to complain. Many customers did (and still do) avoid places that don't take AMEX. You could've just raised your prices 4% and then profited off of everyone. 

If cash holders get you $1,000 in sales per week, and then $1900 for V/MC, and then $6,000 for AMEX, you can be sure the business owner will take AMEX. 

Message 38 of 47
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

I rarely use my Discover card other than some stuff on Amazon just to keep it active. What annoys me the most is that some places have their doors with the Amex logo and then when you pay they suddenly don't take Amex.

Last year when Amex had a shop small business extra point promotion their shop small map would list places for their network to get the extra point. Upon going to some of these shops/restaurants they would say they don't take Amex.

-OR-

One time I went to a restaurant and paid with my PRG. Next time I went to the same restaurant someone else was working the counter and said "We don't take Amex. Cash or Visa only." I said "Are you sure you're cash and Visa only?" Counter lady "Correct" so I took out the reciept from the previous visit and pointed out Amex and then she took it lol. 

I'm inclined to use my Amex more because Amex takes care of me. Chase never throws any bones my way the way Amex does.

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 39 of 47
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
A few mom & pop restaurants won't accept Amex despite having Amex window decals.

lol THIS!

After pointing this out to the cashier and leaving an employee ran out with a scraper and a spray bottle to take them off.

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 40 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.