cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What score do I need for DELTA SKYMILES (AMEX) card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What score do I need for DELTA SKYMILES (AMEX) card?

I want something to work towards, so I really want the 60,000 miles DELTA SKYMILES (AMEX) card. What score would I need for such a card?

My experian is 572. very bad Smiley Sad But I got it up almost 100 points in only 35 days. 

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What score do I need for DELTA SKYMILES (AMEX) card?

Right now I'm a AU on BofA (30k) and AMEX (15k) and have a 200$ unsecured score. 

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

i am no expert by any means, but i would suggest developing any relationship with a more basic card first. Need to build up some credit history before aiming for a rewards card. 

Message 3 of 21
wasCB14
Super Contributor

It's not simply a question of your EX FICO. Amex cares greatly about the content of the report and any past dealings they have had with you.

Have you declared bankruptcy in the last few years? Have you defaulted on an account with Amex before (even if decades ago)?

If the answer to either of those questions is "yes", then keep your expectations low.

What sort of credit events led you to a ~480 and now a 572?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 21
Thaitea007
Regular Contributor

The Amex gold Delta card is known as one of the easiest Amex cards to get approved for.

But with that being said I wouldn't look at going for any Amex cards unless you are over 670+ Fico score and also depending on your overall file, not just score, should be pretty clean. 

Starting Fico (6/29/18):EX 610, TU 595, EQ 603
Fico (9/1/18):EX 620, TU 599,EQ 631
(10-1-18) EX 630, TU 607, EQ 641
Goal: 670(Jan'19)

Message 5 of 21
IodineNightSky
Regular Contributor

I got the gold Amex delta a couple months ago with ~630-650 scores. This is my first card w Amex. I BK’d in 2010. I have 7-8 paid charge offs from ~3 years ago and nothing negative since then. Salary is six figures.

I suspect I was right on the cusp of denial but fortunately got an approval. $1k SL.
Current FICO 8s:
EQ: 712 - TU: 719 - EX: 707
Mortgage Ficos: EQ5: 708 - TU4: 729 - EX2: 700
Current Middle Mortgage Score: 708
Goal Scores: 740+

Message 6 of 21
pgtackle2003
Frequent Contributor

Just a couple of days ago I was approved for the Blue Delta Skymiles. I know this is not the card you're mentioning but I would recommend doing the Amex pre-qualifation and see what comes up (this is a soft pull). As mentioned by a previous poster it might be a better idea to get a lower end card (like the Blue Skymiles with no AF) and build a bit of a relationship first. Once you have a starter card with Amex you can then apply for other Amex cards without a HP.

EX Fico8 654 when approved

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Def wait till you're over 600 to make any moves. That being said, as another poster mentioned, the Delta Gold is one of the easiest cards to be approved for.
Message 8 of 21
Vu
Frequent Contributor

Amex is very lenient about past debts with them.  I had two cards that were canceled by them and took me over 2 years to pay them all off (they were paid on and off, sometimes I went for months without paying anything as I was in really bad shape financially).

They recently approved a 1K SL Hilton card after I paid off the previously charged off cards about a year ago.  My score was 631 when approved for the card.  From what I have read.  1K SL is the lowest SL with Amex, so my advice for you is to wait until you are around 620-630 minimum before it a shot.

Good luck.

Message 9 of 21
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Vu wrote:

Amex is very lenient about past debts with them.  I had two cards that were canceled by them and took me over 2 years to pay them all off (they were paid on and off, sometimes I went for months without paying anything as I was in really bad shape financially).

They recently approved a 1K SL Hilton card after I paid off the previously charged off cards about a year ago.  My score was 631 when approved for the card.  From what I have read.  1K SL is the lowest SL with Amex, so my advice for you is to wait until you are around 620-630 minimum before it a shot.

Good luck.

They are not lenient about past debts with them.  They will blacklist someone for 20 years without batting an eye. You got back in because you paid them off. Had you not, you'd be sitting on the sidelines for 10+ years. Also, the lowest limit with them is $500 which will put you in their credit steps type program.  Sometimes someone with $1k will end up in it too. That's when you know you got in by the skin of your teeth.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.