cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What score do I need for DELTA SKYMILES (AMEX) card?

tag
Vu
Frequent Contributor

Re: What score do I need for DELTA SKYMILES (AMEX) card?

I guess you and I have different definition of what "lenient" is. Yours is to expect the creditor to complete forgiven the debts, while for me, I owed up and paid back what I owed and then ask for forgiveness. Yes, I used forgiveness because I failed to live up to the mutual agreement with the creditors.

As for the lowest CL from Amex. I stand corrected. Didn't know that they would issued such low SL.

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome info! Thank you all!

I've never had any history with them. But a few weeks ago I was added to my bf's card as AU. His credit is very high (over 830) and this credit limit is $15,000. I've never had any bankruptcies. I do have many late payments on my car, and a few collections and some closed accounts that were paid off. My score is now 589, it went down last week, to 572 and two days later it was 589. I will wait and continue to build and in a few months I will try to apply. 

Where do I do the pre approval soft pull? 

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Awesome info! Thank you all!

I've never had any history with them. But a few weeks ago I was added to my bf's card as AU. His credit is very high (over 830) and this credit limit is $15,000. I've never had any bankruptcies. I do have many late payments on my car, and a few collections and some closed accounts that were paid off. My score is now 589, it went down last week, to 572 and two days later it was 589. I will wait and continue to build and in a few months I will try to apply. 

Where do I do the pre approval soft pull? 

You can find the AmEx prequalification tool at americanexpress.com, click on credit cards and then check prequalified offers. It will then provide all the cards you are preapproved for. 

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

great! thank you guys!

what is the usual starting CL on this card? 

Message 14 of 21
pgtackle2003
Frequent Contributor

It does seem to vary based on your credit profile but let me share my recent experience and see if this helps. Today I was approved for the Delta Gold Skymiles with a 5k Starting Limit.

Last week I applied for my first Amex, the Blue Delta Skymiles. I applied for this one because it was the only card that came up on their pre-qualification page and I wanted to be as sure as I could that I would be approved. I was approved for 1k. 

Fast forward to today and I was having a bit of regret as I do fly Delta at least 5-6 times a year. Checking a bag on Delta twice would in itself pay for the AF on the Gold Delta. So I went ahead and applied over the phone and was instantly approved for 5k. This bar far my highest credit limit since I have started credit rebuilding.

The only thing that has changed in my credit profile from last week to this week is my Util % dropped from 9% to 6%. The only real downside here is they did a 2nd HARD inquiry which I wasn't expecting. I had always seen people posting they do SP for additional card applications. However, I will get over this with the nice CL.

Hope this helps

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazing! Thank you for sharing, and congrats! Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 21
Namaste7
Established Contributor

You probably received the second HP because your account is new (less than 2-3 statement cycles old).

YMMV, but had the apps been on the same day, the second HP may not have occurred.

~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 17 of 21
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Vu wrote:

Amex is very lenient about past debts with them.  I had two cards that were canceled by them and took me over 2 years to pay them all off (they were paid on and off, sometimes I went for months without paying anything as I was in really bad shape financially).

They recently approved a 1K SL Hilton card after I paid off the previously charged off cards about a year ago.  My score was 631 when approved for the card.  From what I have read.  1K SL is the lowest SL with Amex, so my advice for you is to wait until you are around 620-630 minimum before it a shot.

Good luck.

They are not lenient about past debts with them.  They will blacklist someone for 20 years without batting an eye. You got back in because you paid them off. Had you not, you'd be sitting on the sidelines for 10+ years. Also, the lowest limit with them is $500 which will put you in their credit steps type program.  Sometimes someone with $1k will end up in it too. That's when you know you got in by the skin of your teeth.

I was approved for the BCE with a starting limit of $500. I actually chatted with AMEX and asked them if I was in their version of a credit step program and they said no. I've never had a relationship with AMEX, but I don't know why they started me off so low. My EX score was in the 680's - 690's when I was approved.

So I just wanted to mention that just because your starting limit is in the 500's, doesn't necessarily mean you're in their steps program. Maybe they just don't like you as much... LOL

I would LOVE to have the BCP because of the groceries and gas cash back percentages. Is there any way to upgrade to that one after a while? 

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 18 of 21
Ardecko
Frequent Contributor

Yes, of course, you could upgrade your BCE to BCP but, unless you get an offer on your account, you won't get the sign-up bonus.

If you're worried about your immediate AAoA, you could upgrade. Otherwise, I don't know why you wouldn't just sock drawer the BCE and get the BCP as a new account.

Don't forget, 3x CLI applies for additional cards, not just the first (profile willing).
2017-09-09 FICO 08: EQ 677, TU 640, EX 705
2020-02-07 FICO 08: TU 789
2020-02-10 FICO 08: EX 752

Gardening, mostly, again until... soon(I need to replace my car)

Message 19 of 21
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Vu wrote:
I guess you and I have different definition of what "lenient" is. Yours is to expect the creditor to complete forgiven the debts, while for me, I owed up and paid back what I owed and then ask for forgiveness. Yes, I used forgiveness because I failed to live up to the mutual agreement with the creditors.

As for the lowest CL from Amex. I stand corrected. Didn't know that they would issued such low SL.

Apparently. Amex will not cut you slack if you don't pay them off in full. Even if you settle, you'll be blacklisted for a while. 

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.