cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What secured cards do not report as "secured"?

tag
HiLine
Blogger

What secured cards do not report as "secured"?

I used to think that rewards secured cards were the best cards to start with, but on second thought having a card that does not report as "secured" would benefit me more until I get my first non-secured cards.

I know there are a few out there that belong to this category. Do you know any particular ones?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Unique620
Frequent Contributor

Re: What secured cards do not report as "secured"?

I have Capital One. It does not report as secured. But keep in mind it also does not graduate. 

Mcu_platinum_cardDiscoverQuicksilverAmazonFreedomSapphirePenFed_Credit_Union_Power_Cash_CardAMEX_BCPDeltaHhiltonAmex_platinumAppleNavy PlatinumCash rewardsNavy Platinum

Message 2 of 19
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

I used to think that rewards secured cards were the best cards to start with, but on second thought having a card that does not report as "secured" would benefit me more until I get my first non-secured cards.

I know there are a few out there that belong to this category. Do you know any particular ones?

Capital One definitely does not.   However, there is no negative effect on having it report as secured, it is only a comment and not involved in scoring.   I'd go with the rewards.

Message 3 of 19
HiLine
Blogger

When manually reviewed, your application looks better with a non-secured card than with a secured card. I've been told this by a credit analyst, so it's not my theory.

As long as the card doesn't report as secured, I'd have no issue with it not graduating. I'd simply close it after opening a non-secured card.

Message 4 of 19
Unique620
Frequent Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

When manually reviewed, your application looks better with a non-secured card than with a secured card. I've been told this by a credit analyst, so it's not my theory.

As long as the card doesn't report as secured, I'd have no issue with it not graduating. I'd simply close it after opening a non-secured card.

Same thing I was told by two credit analyst, through post in myfico forums, other credit forums,and my personal banker at Citibank. I was told it doesn't affect your score, but as a credit analyst the thought becomes are you credit worthy since you had to use your own money to receive a card. My opinion on a card reporting as secured, defeats the purpose of building or rebuilding your credit, because its like a warning to creditors, in there eyes the comment "secured" reads, "potential risk".

Mcu_platinum_cardDiscoverQuicksilverAmazonFreedomSapphirePenFed_Credit_Union_Power_Cash_CardAMEX_BCPDeltaHhiltonAmex_platinumAppleNavy PlatinumCash rewardsNavy Platinum

Message 5 of 19
Unique620
Frequent Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

Same theory I have! I plan to close the card after I receive my third unsecured card, since I am reading that 2-3 revolvong credits reporting maximize your score. I already have two. Want them to grow a little first. 

Message 6 of 19
dmorey
Contributor

I have USAA Secured Mastercard as well as the USAA Secured AMEX. Neither one reports as secured.

Message 7 of 19
Regular Contributor

When I got my secured card from Orchard it was not reported as secured. They are now Capital One so I don't know now. It was graduated in 11 months. A few months after getting the Orchard I got a Wells Fargo. There was a note that says "secured".

Message 8 of 19
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@92235 wrote:

When I got my secured card from Orchard it was not reported as secured. They are now Capital One so I don't know now. It was graduated in 11 months. A few months after getting the Orchard I got a Wells Fargo. There was a note that says "secured".

Orchard doesn't offer new accounts anymore AFAIK. Capital one cancelled all of their applications and it just redirects to capitalone.com now Smiley Very Happy The cap1 doesn't report as secured though. 

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Fulton Secured CC through Elan finacial and it reports as a secured card but in Feb it will be a year and they said they will upgrade the account and card to unsecured so I don't have to close the account. Really great company. I just got approved for a Capital one card last week for $300 so it's really helped heading in the right direction.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.