Did you mean: 

What should my next card be?

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: What should my next card be?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the following cards

Selecting cards isn't about the cards that one holds or an "ideal" list of cards.  Selecting cards is always about finding what suits the individual best and that's why you need to tell us specifically what you're looking for and what you find lacking with your existing lineup.  Infromation on spend categories and volumes would help as well since programs have caps, spend levels affect how long takes to accrue enough to redeem. etc.  It also doesn't make sense to worry over rewards in spend categories where you have little spend while ignoring the categories where you have signifcant spend.  Give us as much info as possible in order to help you narrow down the options.

Instead of trying to simply justify a new card, determine your needs/wants and use that to select cards that suit you.  At the core of it, it's really no different than shopping for anything else.  If you shop just for the sake of shopping then you can get yourself in trouble and overextended.  However, if you know exactly what you need/want then you can focus on the products that fit.

@Anonymous wrote:

I think I'd prefer something not too fancy and doesn't require a ton of points in order to redeem one night.

Give us hard numbers or at least ranges.  "A ton" doesn't tell us anything.  One's "ton" is another's "pocket change".

If you don't have above a certain amount of spend it doesn't do any good to spread it out over a number of different reards programs as it will take forever to accrue enough to redeem.  You can determine this yourself by looking at your spend.  Consider your spend categories and how much you're putting through them.  Compare to rewards earn rates and consider redemptions.

If you aren't running the numbers for your spend when considering cards then you should definitely do so in order to help you in the decision making process.

Message 11 of 12
KellyP25721
Frequent Contributor

Re: What should my next card be?

Trying to understand here.  If someone has a ton of cards, aren't you really diluting the benefits by spreading your purchases all over the place?  By that I mean, say I used my Marriott card once a year when I stay at a Marriot, it might take mey 5 years before I've accumulated enough points for a stay.  But if I used my Venture card for most all of my purchases, I would accumulate points faster that I can use for any trip or hotel?  Not focusing on the specific cards, but the concept.

Starting Score: 573 (EX Faco) | Current Scores: EX(Fico) 674, EQ(Fico) 668, TU(Fico) 691
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.