Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should my next credit card be?

tag
Drew
Frequent Contributor

What should my next credit card be?

Hi All -

Alright, so.  I'm undecided about what my next credit card should be.  I'd like to apply for one in about three months time, which is when my last round of applications hit the one year mark.  I currently have the cards list below in my signature (Sapphire, Freedom, BCE, QuickSilver and GECRB ON).  I'm not bias towards a specific type of reward credit card, but more interested in the card's prestige and best bang for one's buck.

My credit score is around 750-765 and AAoA is approximately 2 years.  I look forward to your suggestions.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
chwebb1
Established Contributor

Re: What should my next credit card be?

What are you interested in? Cash back, travel rewards, points? Do you have any baddies?

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 2 of 15
matchew822

Discover IT?
Message 3 of 15
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@chwebb1 wrote:

What are you interested in? Cash back, travel rewards, points? Do you have any baddies?

+1. We need more info as in why you need another card and its purpose. 

Also, to note, if you can't think of good reason to have another credit car, that may be a sign you don't need another CC. 

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 4 of 15
cottontop
Contributor

What is your oldest account? I would assume with that score, there are no recent baddies, but are there any baddies at all on the report?  

My short list suggestions, IF & only IF your file is clean, would be Barclay Arrival (good 2pt card & TU pull); PenFed (one for prestige & EQ pull, not to mention future car loans, ploc, mortgage ect);   a Discover (EQ pull probably, this one for access to Shop Discover Portal).  That should be three solid additions, one pull each bureau.  Discover probably a shoe in for you, Barclay's has recon if not instant, PenFed probably the most difficult.

Chase Unlimited 53k, us bank reserve 14k, nfcu flagship 32k, nfcu 15k cloc, discover 23.9k, citi 29k, 27.5k, GM 7.5k, Venmo 20k, penfed 15k, apple 8.5k,
Biz. Ink 10k, 35k, 20k, 5k. Us bank 9k, GM 29k
Message 5 of 15
Drew
Frequent Contributor

Thanks all. Basically, my oldest open account is 3.5 years, but closed is 5 years. I have no baddies and I'm looking for something with a good reward system for cash or travel rewards.
Message 6 of 15
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Drew wrote:
Thanks all. Basically, my oldest open account is 3.5 years, but closed is 5 years. I have no baddies and I'm looking for something with a good reward system for cash or travel rewards.

Sallie Mae rewards mastercard for 5% Gas Stations, 5% Grocery Stores and 5% book Stores (like Amazon.com). salliemae.com (just dont get the Upromise card by mistake)

US Bank Cash+ for Two 5% selectable categories and one 2% category.

Fidelity American Express card, for 2% on everything.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 7 of 15
Drew
Frequent Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Drew wrote:

Sallie Mae rewards mastercard for 5% Gas Stations, 5% Grocery Stores and 5% book Stores (like Amazon.com). salliemae.com (just dont get the Upromise card by mistake)

Because this is more geared towards students, it seems like Sallie Mae starts with lower CL's.  What do you think?

Message 8 of 15
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Drew wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Drew wrote:

Because this is more geared towards students, it seems like Sallie Mae starts with lower CL's.  What do you think?

Not necessarily. Its from Barclays, so if you don't have a thick file and have obtained a lot of recent credit cards, it will start with a low limit (but auto cli's if you use the card).

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 9 of 15
slweal87
Contributor

Just FYI I got a Barclay's Arrival with baddies on my record. They are all 5 years past but I had many 30, 60 and 90 and I think even 120 days late from 2008/2009. So I believe they will approve you with distant baddies. Credit score was 709 when I applied based on their scoring system. Did not qualify for the MasterCard World though but I got the AF version and the 40,000 bonus already :-)
1. WFCU Visa (2,000) 2. Chase Freedom (1,500) 3. Chase Amazon (300) 4. Chase Sapphire non-preferred (5,000) 5. Discover IT (3,500) 6. Capital One Quicksilver (3,000) 7. Citibank Dividend (4,300) 8. AMEX Costco True Earnings (5,000) 9. Barclaycard Arrival w/ AF (3,000) 10. Target REDcard (2,700) 11. Amex Blue Cash Everyday (10,000)
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.