Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should my next move be?

tag
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

What should my next move be?

Hi guys, at the end of September, I was approved for an American Eagle retail card, not the VISA, but the strictly AE card. I was given a limit of only $175. (I had no credit history other than student loans from this year and last).

I've PIF since I've gotten my retail card and called about a CLI, but I have to wait about three more weeks before I can request for a CLI. I want to go for a regular card now, but I don't know if applying for two forms of credit in the matter of 2.5 months is too much or not.

Should I wait a little longer before applying for another card? Which cards would you recommended I apply for? Regular bank card or credit union? (Again, I'm a full time student so I only work part time making about 8k a year).

FAKO Scores are 666 TU and 710 EX.

AE CC: $1,050 | AEO Visa: $1,890 | Cap1 QS: $2,100 | Chase Freedom: $1,000 | Citi Forward: $1,500 | Citi Double Cash: $1,000 | Discover iT: $500 | GameStop: $1,650 | Overstock: $1,700 | PayPal Smart Connect: $1,500 | Walmart $2,200

TU (Discover): 663 | EQ (Citi): 651
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Involus
Regular Contributor

Re: What should my next move be?

Most 'prime' cards like to see 6 months history at minimum - and they like to see actual credit cards not store cards I've read that some don't even factor store cards but YMMV.

Message 2 of 13
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

By 'prime' you mean Discover, Chase, Citi, etc.? And wouldn't my history, though short, be more important to them than the store card lol. Would you not even recommend I apply for a student card.?
AE CC: $1,050 | AEO Visa: $1,890 | Cap1 QS: $2,100 | Chase Freedom: $1,000 | Citi Forward: $1,500 | Citi Double Cash: $1,000 | Discover iT: $500 | GameStop: $1,650 | Overstock: $1,700 | PayPal Smart Connect: $1,500 | Walmart $2,200

Message 3 of 13
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

www.whogavemecredit.com

Walmart would be a card I'd get.  Probably give you a $100 CL, but at least you get free TU Fico score each month.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 4 of 13
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Are you looking to finish the marathon with a tropy, or have a bunch of little runs that give ribbons as a reward?

I'm sure others will agree/disagree on this...don't go nuts getting cards that you'll outgrow quickly. Student cards should be just that (one student card).

Message 5 of 13
Involus
Regular Contributor

You coud app for a Cap One student card. They suck but they will give you a start and get you into prime land.

Message 6 of 13
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

I applied and was approved for the Capital One Journeys Card. I feel pathetic though cause they only gave me a $300. Guess I should just be grateful haha.

Message 7 of 13
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@WallyxD wrote:

I applied and was approved for the Capital One Journeys Card. I feel pathetic though cause they only gave me a $300. Guess I should just be grateful haha.

Be grateful! And 6 months down the road, i HIGHLY recommend you apply for a Discover More/Open Road Student!! My brother had a Journey as well at $500 and I added him as an AU on my Shell card, which at the time was only $400. When he app'd for Discover (which he had an invitation for), he got approved with a much higher limit than the others!! So there's hope Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 13
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

I am haha. Though the limit is a bummer, I can't wait to get my card Smiley Wink

By the way, how long should I stay away from credit card applications.? 9-20 (around there) is when I got approved for AE, and today (12-11) is when I got approved for Capital One, so should I wait a specific amount of time before applying for another card.?

Message 9 of 13
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@WallyxD wrote:

I am haha. Though the limit is a bummer, I can't wait to get my card Smiley Wink

By the way, how long should I stay away from credit card applications.? 9-20 (around there) is when I got approved for AE, and today (12-11) is when I got approved for Capital One, so should I wait a specific amount of time before applying for another card.?

I would recommend waiting at least 6 more months from the Capital One so you have 6 months worth of payment history to help your case! Since you do have really low limits so far, waiting a year from your first card (that 9/20 AE) would be even better for primeland. I waited about a year and a half from my first card before I app'd for Chase Freedom and wound up getting an excellent limit from them, as you can see in my siggy! Gardening pays off Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.