cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should we do with this Home Depot account.

tag
delaney1
Established Contributor

What should we do with this Home Depot account.

DH has a HD account reporting that we weren't aware was still active. It shows last payment 10 years ago. CK report shows a 4200 limit and card was last reported 2006. Status open.  How can an account remain open for this long with no activity? Should we request a card, because he doesn't have the card any longer or just call and have it closed.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: What should we do with this Home Depot account.

@delaney1 wrote:

DH has a HD account reporting that we weren't aware was still active. It shows last payment 10 years ago. CK report shows a 4200 limit and card was last reported 2006. Status open.  How can an account remain open for this long with no activity? Should we request a card, because he doesn't have the card any longer or just call and have it closed.

If it were me I would call and request a card be sent out, then I would stick it in the SD.  The dormant account isn't hurting, and if anything it's padding your utilization.  Since it hasn't been used in years, when you do get a new card I would use it for a small purchase, just to 'reset' the clock.  I don't know how long Citi usually allows cards to go dormant before finally closing them, but I'm sure they won't let it go on indefinitely.

Just my 2¢  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 7
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@delaney1 wrote:

If it were me I would call and request a card be sent out, then I would stick it in the SD.  The dormant account isn't hurting, and if anything it's padding your utilization.  Since it hasn't been used in years, when you do get a new card I would use it for a small purchase, just to 'reset' the clock.  I don't know how long Citi usually allows cards to go dormant before finally closing them, but I'm sure they won't let it go on indefinitely.

Just my 2¢  Smiley Happy

+1

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would be pleasantly surprised and happy that it's propping up my AAoA! I agree, get a card and run something small on it. 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an account like that and it shows open, but it has aged out without activity. Finally, one of the bureaus said it closed due to inactivity and I called the company and yes, it was closed. Check and see. Who knows?

Message 5 of 7
delaney1
Established Contributor

So we called and they have no record of this account. After further research, seems like others have had issues with a thd/cbna listing on their credit reports. Since, it's not a negative, guess we'll just let it run it's pace.

Message 6 of 7
taxi818
Super Contributor

@delaney1 wrote:

So we called and they have no record of this account. After further research, seems like others have had issues with a thd/cbna listing on their credit reports. Since, it's not a negative, guess we'll just let it run it's pace.

If you know whats good for your credit that would be the best thing to do. (leave it alone) Im not sure when citi took over home depot. but its doing more for you than helping your utilizaiton. Its really helping your AAoA more than anything. and that is priceless. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.