cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What store cards give the most bang for the buck?

tag
tattooedhusker
Established Contributor

Re: What store cards give the most bang for the buck?

I have a Gordman's card, because I shop there regularly. I earn points, and get coupons all the time. Like most have said, pick somewhere you frequently shop.

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $15k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $7.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $4.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2950
Message 11 of 37
JonStur
Established Contributor

Has to be Walmart for me. I must admit I had a stigma associated with this store, so I never shopped there until I took my sister one evening and I became hooked..now I have their Discover card!!!

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 12 of 37
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@CotySinz wrote:

GECRB/Walmart - you get a free monthly TU FICO and GECRB is very generous and CLI friendly.

+1

Soft pull for CLI's too.

Message 13 of 37
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@emptypockets wrote:

Kohl's for regular everyday items (jeans, socks, etc.). They give lots of coupons to cardholders which makes it a good card to have. 

Too bad Kohl's is currently underwritten by Capital One.

Message 14 of 37
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

To get best bang per buck on department store, buy their respective gift cards online. Department store GC are low-value gift cards, that is they are heavily discounted (20%+).

You can find them at Cardpool, Plastic Jungle, etc.

Message 15 of 37
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

@kevinjjc wrote:

@emptypockets wrote:

Kohl's for regular everyday items (jeans, socks, etc.). They give lots of coupons to cardholders which makes it a good card to have. 

Do you have any store cards backed by Capital One?

Message 16 of 37
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@Mike360 wrote:

@kevinjjc wrote:

@emptypockets wrote:

No, thankfully.

Message 17 of 37
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Express for sure if you shop there... you can use multiple coupons and many transactions to use more coupons... I plan it out when I shop to use multiple coupons.

Macy's is good if you shop a lot because of the stupid extra off thigns they do....

PayPal MC

Walmart/Sams cash back and such.

Message 18 of 37
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

@kevinjjc wrote:

@Mike360 wrote:

@kevinjjc wrote:

@emptypockets wrote:

No, thankfully.

@I've had no issues with store cards underwritten by Capital One. Both Kohls and Best Buy have given me increases. Meanwhile i've been sitting @ $200 w/ Target for going on 5 years now. 

I think Best Buy has a pretty good card if you can get a good starting limit. They have some of the best financing offers available and you get some reward zone points. Target for the 5% OFF and they offer free shipping when shopping online....only good if you get a decent limit. 

Message 19 of 37
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

Re: Target RedCard

It seems like the debit card version is just as good as the normal CC? 5% off and free internet shipping, but without all the hassle of the application process, the notoriously CLs, and the sky-high APR. Am I missing something? I frequently shop at Target, so I am looking into this for the near future.

EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.