cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What store cards give the most bang for the buck?

tag
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Re: What store cards give the most bang for the buck?

I have Walmart and VS. Lately I am interested in Nords and Macy's Amex.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 31 of 37
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

@armbenderc wrote:

Nordstrom just keeps deying me

and Bloomingdales slashed my already small CL due to a late payment...but they have yet to refund me my credit balance on my card after 3 months...They are in with Macys...Ive began not to really care about either of those cards.

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 32 of 37
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@Sparkz1920 wrote:

@armbenderc wrote:

Nordstrom just keeps deying me

and Bloomingdales slashed my already small CL due to a late payment...but they have yet to refund me my credit balance on my card after 3 months...They are in with Macys...Ive began not to really care about either of those cards.

That's crazy. I see Nords got store and visa sig. If I am going to apply for one I would want the sig version same with macy amex. My walmart store card is waiting to get upgrade...soon I hope. VS is pretty cool with all the coupon and % off they sent you.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 33 of 37
jsucool76
Super Contributor

My sister loves her macys amex. The thing i dont get is it is 2 separate erate accounts. An in store and then a major card(amex) and her IN store account has a 600 limit but her out of store (amex) has a 5000 limit. I figured it would be the other way around.
Message 34 of 37
LilNYC
New Contributor

If you do a lot of online shopping I would suggest skipping the store cards & just get a Discover card instead. Shop Discover offers b/w 5%-20% back. Gap/BR//old navy/ piperlime is 10% back, bloomingdales is 10%, target, saks, nordstrom, neiman, & barneys are 5%. Plus this quarter was an additional 5% back on dept. stores & all online purchases up to $1500. Discover also has 2% bonus periods occasionally. Also if you shop at dept. stores Amex Blue Cash Pref gives you 3% back. More than most dept. stores give you on their own cards.
Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

EQ: 794. TU: 704. EX: 755
Message 35 of 37
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Not every department store is eligble for AMEX 2/3% CB; following is the list that counts

Bealls, Belk®, Bloomingdale's, Bon Ton Stores Inc., Boscov's Department Store, Century 21® Department Stores, Dillard's Department Stores, J.C. Penney Company, Inc., Kohl's, Lord & Taylor, Macy's, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Saks Fifth Avenue, Sears® Merchandise Group, and Stein Mart®

Message 36 of 37
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Amazon  is my favorite store card, free shipping over $25 for items shipped from Amazon wharehouse,  $150 and over for 6 months 0 percent interest, $600 and up for no interest for a year

Walmart  Credit score, and no interest deals around the holidays. 

Target for the 5% and an extra 5% with every 5 perscriptions filled

Homedepot great card for emergencies and easy CLI when you first get the card just call with a reason... got a 4k CL incase the water heater goes out or need major appliances

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.