cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What the heck is going on with Synchrony?

tag
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: What the heck is going on with Synchrony?

@Anonymous wrote:

@waynes1982 wrote:

When I got the letter about the closures, I called and asked if I would ever be able to open up any other accounts with them, and they couldn't answer that question for me.

I got the answer myself by applying for these two cards.  The Marvel was instant approved online with $4,000, and the lowest APR they offer of 15.24%, when I received the card I called and bumped it up to $25K with no concerns at all. I just applied in store for the Toys R US Mastercard and was also instant approved but for $1,500, which surprised me a bit, but I called credit solutions and got it bumped right up to $8,000 which is fine with me.

@humuhumunukunukuapua'a wrote:

I'm glad you were able to get other cards with Synchrony after your closures. It's not a fun situation to be in. 

I hope they let you keep the new Synchrony cards open that you reapplied for after your initial cards were closed.

Synchrony is not Comenity, certainly, but I do recall several people successfully opening different cards with Comenity once their cards were closed down, and several months later those cards were shut down too once an audit took place.

Just considering all possibilities. This whole thing is a shame. Smiley Sad

You can best believe that if I ever have to close my Synchrony accts behind this nonsense, I won't be doing business with them in the future. Smiley Mad

Message 61 of 876
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@waynes1982 wrote:

When I got the letter about the closures, I called and asked if I would ever be able to open up any other accounts with them, and they couldn't answer that question for me.

I got the answer myself by applying for these two cards.  The Marvel was instant approved online with $4,000, and the lowest APR they offer of 15.24%, when I received the card I called and bumped it up to $25K with no concerns at all. I just applied in store for the Toys R US Mastercard and was also instant approved but for $1,500, which surprised me a bit, but I called credit solutions and got it bumped right up to $8,000 which is fine with me.

@humuhumunukunukuapua'a wrote:

I'm glad you were able to get other cards with Synchrony after your closures. It's not a fun situation to be in. 

I hope they let you keep the new Synchrony cards open that you reapplied for after your initial cards were closed.

Synchrony is not Comenity, certainly, but I do recall several people successfully opening different cards with Comenity once their cards were closed down, and several months later those cards were shut down too once an audit took place.

Just considering all possibilities. This whole thing is a shame. Smiley Sad

You can best believe that if I ever have to close my Synchrony accts behind this nonsense, I won't be doing business with them in the future. Smiley Mad

Totally agree, baller4.  I'm glad the situation worked out the way that waynes1982 wanted it to, but I'm not interested in doing that, either. 

Message 62 of 876
Anonymous
Not applicable

Several people just posted good information on this page to cross-reference as well:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/And-yet-another-synchrony-accounts-locked-thread/td-p/4...

Message 63 of 876
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I think folks just need to carry on as usual. Again, mass hysteria is happening, just like the Comenity Closures not too long ago.

Now, I agree this is out of the norm for Synch, but they are one lender who gives out approvals/CL/CLI like candy.

Everyone is feeling the pinch.....everyone. They could just simply be tightening up their belts a bit, and for those that have quite a bit of credit with them, they are well within their rights to ask for income verification for a $25kcc.

Im actually surprised that I haven't been hit yet (knock on wood), I was at max with them not too long ago, and down to $75k exposure.

But....I tend to think other things go into play here as well. Ive stated this before but...

Synch history?
Overall exposure with them and other lenders
Do you use their cards monthly for more than a reload
Do you carry balances vs PIF
Do you have "other" high CL cards
Did your TU FICO score drop for any reason?
Do you ask for a CLI every week?
Made a charge on one of the cards that was out of norm

The list goes on, but you get my point. Some people are being targeted for income verification, and we will never really know why. Something has flagged them with with Synch...be it adding AU's, or whatever.

I think anyone that has Synch acts right now with a lot of exposure should just lay low, use the cards as normal, and carry on until we haven't something to worry about.

My life won't stop because of this, or if I get targeted. Ill carry on as usual. This is just like when all the hysteria surrounding the Barclays AA/closures awhile back too. I didn't freak out...I kept my normal life and routine with my SM card, and what happened?? Nothing.....3 major app sprees of 10-15cc, TU drop of 12 pts, gained 100K in credit, and Im still intact, even AFTER calling into an UW requesting apr reduct and CLI, upon manual review asked me about the in and new acts....still intact.

Probably because I still use their card, PIF, keep a 1% util reporting to CRA on 1 card...I show them and everyone else "its no big deal". Im not exempt, don't get me wrong, these are just my thoughts when stuff like this happens.

Now, if Im hit...Ill have to decide if keeping $75k in credit with 25% apr's are worth it, or just shrug my shoulders and say eh and move on. Again, just my thoughts Smiley Wink

Message 64 of 876
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think Synchrony screwed up and now people are paying the price.  If they couldn't handle giving out CLI's and approvals for so many cards, then they shouldn't have allowed it in the first place. 

Yes it's our responsibility for doing such things.  And sharing income information is a suitable exchange if so be required, but in the form of paystubs or bank statements, not 4506-T and sharing it with the world.  But that's beside the point.

Message 65 of 876
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't really see anyone getting hysterical, pizza, I just see others sharing information so we can learn more, and make informed decisions. Smiley Happy

Message 66 of 876
Anonymous
Not applicable

I cut my exposure to 19k. I reduced Wal-Mart to 1k, BP to 3k and I have an unactivated stash card for 15k that I literally just received in the mailbox. I really don't know what to do. I don't want to even activate the stash card now. I just want out.

Message 67 of 876
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't really see anyone getting hysterical, pizza, I just see others sharing information so we can learn more, and make informed decisions. Smiley Happy

really?? How about the poster Mzery who posted right below, that slashed all his/her limits, and now afraid to activate his/her new Stash cc.  yea, sure. 

Message 68 of 876
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

really?? How about the poster Mzery who posted right below, that slashed all his/her limits, and now afraid to activate his/her new Stash cc.  yea, sure. 

It's really his or her choice to make after reading the information and thinking through his or her situation.

Posting about how this is making you feel, decisions you are considering, or steps you are now taking to mitigate risk, as he/she did, is different from hysteria.

Several people have posted about slashing limits as a choice they took to mitigate their risk, but I didn't see any of them acting hysterical. That's all I'm saying. Smiley Happy

Message 69 of 876
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's really his or her choice to make after reading the information and thinking through his or her situation.

Posting about how this is making you feel and decisions you are considering or steps you are now taking to mitigate risk, as he/she did, is different from total hysteria.

No need to split hairs Hum....and I think you knew excatly what I meant when I said, mass hysteria, whether that was an over exaggeration or not which you like to point out ever so blantly. , 

Message 70 of 876
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.