Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to App for?

tag
House1204
Regular Contributor

What to App for?

I just closed on a house and now I am ready to app for a new card. 

I was thinking about AOD, SDFCU and Langley. I am already a member of SDFCU.

My Equifax score is 744 fico8. I have 2 new accounts in the last 6 months.

If I app for all 3 what order should it be?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: What to App for?

@House1204 wrote:

The few profile data points and lack of a signature leave room for a lot of questions before anyone can make good recommendations.  What cards and limits do you have now?  What are your priorities and which cards are you considering?  I'm assuming you mean the AOD FCU Signature Visa with 3% cash back?  And perhaps the SDFCU Premium Cash Back + with 2% cash back?  If you app first for the AOD for the 3%, do you still want or need the SDFCU card even though it only pays 2%?

You don't mention debt or debt-to-income.  AOD has proven exceptionally sensitive to that.  Any student loans?  Credit card utilization?  Auto loans?

SDFCU has previously been reported as a conservative lender.  I'm not sure if having a new mortgage and two new revolving accounts in the past six months is too much for them, but it might be best to garden on that one for a little while.  But having membership with them will help.

Your FICO 8 score won't help with two out of those three lenders*.  AOD pulls an EQ FICO 5 mortgage score, and My Fico members were seeing scores 30 to 80 points lower than their FICO 8/9's.   SDFCU pulls EX FICO 2, which is another mortgage score than may be lower than your 08.  I'm not sure about this but your brand new mortgage may have caused your EQ5 and EX2 to dip.  Especially since you just applied for a new mortgage and you only began paying it down, your reports will show you owe almost the full original balance. 
*Langley pulls EQ-FICO 8. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 2 of 6
House1204
Regular Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:
@House1204 wrote:

The few profile data points and lack of a signature leave room for a lot of questions before anyone can make good recommendations.  What cards and limits do you have now?  What are your priorities and which cards are you considering?  I'm assuming you mean the AOD FCU Signature Visa with 3% cash back?  And perhaps the SDFCU Premium Cash Back + with 2% cash back?  If you app first for the AOD for the 3%, do you still want or need the SDFCU card even though it only pays 2%? Yes the AOD signature visa. I def won't need the SDFCU if I get the AOD card.

You don't mention debt or debt-to-income.  AOD has proven exceptionally sensitive to that.  Any student loans?  Credit card utilization?  Auto loans? No student loans, credit cards are at 1% utilization, No auto loans.

SDFCU has previously been reported as a conservative lender.  I'm not sure if having a new mortgage and two new revolving accounts in the past six months is too much for them, but it might be best to garden on that one for a little while.  But having membership with them will help.

Your FICO 8 score won't help with two out of those three lenders*.  AOD pulls an EQ FICO 5 mortgage score, and My Fico members were seeing scores 30 to 80 points lower than their FICO 8/9's.   SDFCU pulls EX FICO 2, which is another mortgage score than may be lower than your 08.  I'm not sure about this but your brand new mortgage may have caused your EQ5 and EX2 to dip.  Especially since you just applied for a new mortgage and you only began paying it down, your reports will show you owe almost the full original balance.  Ex fico 2 is 692, Eq fico 5 is 740
*Langley pulls EQ-FICO 8. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would app AOD first, then SDFCU, and then Langley. 

SDFCU has a $200 SUB so you would need to spend $20K on the AOD card before that extra 1% starts making it the better deal. 

Honestly I would just app all three at once in the order listed. No sense spacing them out unless you want to reserve Langley as a fall back if the other two are declined. 

Message 4 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Langley SDFCU AOD

Message 5 of 6
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would app AOD first, then SDFCU, and then Langley. 
SDFCU has a $200 SUB so you would need to spend $20K on the AOD card before that extra 1% starts making it the better deal.

-----------------------------------------

Agreed, I would go for AOD first since it sounds like you'd be approved.   You may even get their lowest APR of 7.49%.  SDFCU second since they have a SUB and you have relationship.  Langley is probably easier to get approved from what I've heard compared to the others.  However, I think the AOD and SDFCU cards are better and you stand good approval odds with either one. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.