Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to apply for?

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

What to apply for?

I want one more credit card to grow as I build my credit again. The goal is to keep the three I have as long as I can until my BK falls off, DC 12/18. Right now I have a CapOne Platinum card, opened around 2/2019, and a Credit One card opened last month. I included CapOne, BofA, Chase, Amex, Discover, Citi, and Wells Fargo in my BK, even tho WF was a secured card for $300. No derogs except the BK, UTL at 16%. PIF monthly. I’m not in any credit unions and don’t qualify for Navy Fed. Anywhere else I could look?
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: What to apply for?

Have you tried Discover? Check their prequal page and see what results you get from them.

Message 2 of 20
icyhot
Valued Contributor

I included them in BK, I hear they’re not so friendly
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K

Message 3 of 20
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@icyhot wrote:
I included them in BK, I hear they’re not so friendly

Ah, sorry about that. I could've sworn I didn't see them there. Then you might want to consider joining a local CU and see what options they have for cards. It does not have to be NFCU to be a good one to help you rebuild til some of the banks you included in your BK are options again

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Garden for a year, keep your utilization AZEO and all payments on time, then join PenFed (anyone can) and apply for a card. 

Then just before you've had it 90 days, request a CLI.

You basically need a credit union in order to get any substantial credit and it will help greatly if you don't appear to have been too eager right after your discharge.

I don't think another low limit starter card will do much for you right now.

Message 5 of 20
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Fair enough! I’ll do that

Message 6 of 20
icyhot
Valued Contributor

If anyone can join PenFed, would it be a good idea to join now?

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't hurt to join now, but note that they won't approve any unsecured credit until 1 year post discharge.

Although . . . if you wait to join until you're ready to apply for credit with them, there's a chance the HP for joining might be used for your credit app.

Message 8 of 20
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Can't hurt to join now, but note that they won't approve any unsecured credit until 1 year post discharge.

Although . . . if you wait to join until you're ready to apply for credit with them, there's a chance the HP for joining might be used for your credit app.

This sounds like a good plan to me. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 9 of 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I wouldnt try to join a super conservative and Picky Penfed with a bk so fresh out the oven. Only lead to heartache imo. Save your hps for better.
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.