cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do about Amex Green and Blue cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to do about Amex Green and Blue cards?

I wouldnt PC it to a gold, if you want the gold apply for it with the 50 K MR SUB.

I would PC this to a non AF card so that you can keep the history on it.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can't PC a charge card to a credit card, Green is as low as you can PC with charge cards.
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, in that case I'd axe it.  OP has a very healthy credit score, the card will remain for 10 years in the history, I don't think it's going to have much of a long term negative impact.

Message 13 of 15
fittiger
Frequent Contributor

Whatever you decide to do, don't close the green card until you transfer your 26k MR points or open another MR card (Gold, ED, EDP)!

Depending on your spend, I too would suggest obtaining a new Gold card for the 50k SUB.  Depending on which airlines you fly, you can obtain gift cards for the $100 airline credit if you don't plan on flying for that calendar year and use them later.  Are you able to use the $120 dining credit made available with this card?

The ED/EDP would be good if you can use the bonus categories, or if not, just to maintain your MR balance. The ED/EDP doesn't really fit my spend well because my grocery spend tends to mainly go to Target, which doesn't fit into AMEX's grocery category.  I mainly purchase gas at Costco, which only accepts VISA.  I don't have enough AMEX bonus spend transactions to warrant either one of them.

If you can utilize your MR balance or transfer it to a airline program, you might be better off obtaining cash back cards as mentioned in others posts.  These are a lot easier to manage rewards, they just tend not to be as lucrative as transfer points programs for travelers.

I wouldn't worry about your credit score.  Any impact to your score for closing your account or even opening a few news ones will be minimal, and won't make any difference to lenders when you're talking about 800+ scores.

Figure out what kind of rewards cards benefit you most, and go after those; then ditch the green. 

Message 14 of 15
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP when did you upgrade from Green to Gold and when did you upgrade to Platinum? Were there any upgrade bonuses given for these steps?

If the upgrades were prior to 2013, and you do not have a recent app for the Gold, I willl guess you might be eligible for a Gold SUB. A strategy to consider would be keep the Green for now, app a Gold card, keep that for the first year, and if you decide the Gold earnings and features make sense, upgrade the existing Green to Gold at the point where the new Gold second year AF comes due. That way, you continue with that account age, and only a small overlap in AF while (hopefully) getting the 50k MR SUB.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.