Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do about WaMu?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What to do about WaMu?

Hello there! New to the forum, though I have been reading topics like crazy the past few days. So much info to take in!

Here's my deal: I've had a (then Providian, now) WaMu CC for the past seven years. To tell you the truth, I don't know what my original CL or APR were. CL was 2630. I've had some late payments and overlimit fees in the past (including 1 late payment in March), and usualy had very high UTL on it. Because of these issues, my APR went up and up and up. When I had that late payment in March, it went to 31.49%. That's when I got disgusted with myself. I paid it off in full, they almost immediately gave me a CL increase - now it's 4130. I did end up using it a bit after that, but I'm around $300 on it. They then started badgering me about balance transfers (as if I would transfer something to a card that is at 31.49%!) and offered me a 1% cash reward program.

I decided to call them and see if I could get my APR lowered. I called, spoke pleasantly, told them that I would love to use the card more but the AF ($59, which I paid in July) and the APR were too prohibitive for me to do so. I was told the party line about they want to build long term customers, blah blah blah, they regularly review accounts and therefore, I do not need to ask them about lowering my APR because they will notify me automatically when they can lower the rate. Yeah, suuuuuure. SO then I ask "What's regularly? Every month? Three months? Six months? A year?" She could not answer my questions, reiterated that she couldn't do anything , etc. I told her I would have to look for a better deal somewhere else, but still nothing. That was the end of that call.

I was ticked and immediately applied for a CC with my CU with a 12.9% APR, no annual fee, no balance transfer fees and a CL of $2500. And was approved!

I tried calling WaMu a few days later, basically saying the same thing. When I was told the "we review regularly" schtick, I asked to speak to her supervisor. I then went through the whole spiel again but got the same party line from him.

So, where do I go from here? Have people had success getting their APR lowered from WaMu? If so, what number did they call? Am I not saying the right things? It's so hard for me to call these places - it makes me feel ill! Perhaps I'm not coming off forceful enough. Should I have asked for someone even higher?

I appreciate any advice.

Tess

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to do about WaMu?

Why even bother using the card ?? I haven't used mine in ages, ever since they jacked up my rate to 29.99% after one of my payments was late by a day. Just use their high CL to help your credit score.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to do about WaMu?

Yes, if they won't lower the APR that's what I'll do. As soon as my card from my CU comes I'm going to BT and be done with WaMu - I'll sock drawer it til just before the AF and then cancel it.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.