Maxi11510
Contributor

Re: What to do with BOA secured card!

K-in-Boston,

In this case I agree with you😀!

Message 11 of 21
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: What to do with BOA secured card! /UPDATE!!

Since you did so well on that call, call them back and ask them to upgrade your card to Cash Rewards - 3% on gas, 2% groceries. I got my formerly secured card upgraded to Cash Rewards with no HP, but if they want a HP for you tell them to use the one they just pulled.

Message 12 of 21
Maxi11510
Contributor

Hi DaveinAZ,

That is the card I have.  Offered to me as a secured card in October. And now it's on secured just as happy as I can be with the credit line increase ..

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Since you did so well on that call, call them back and ask them to upgrade your card to Cash Rewards - 3% on gas, 2% groceries. I got my formerly secured card upgraded to Cash Rewards with no HP, but if they want a HP for you tell them to use the one they just pulled.

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! I am so happy for you! The wait and HP will be well-worth it.

Message 14 of 21
Maxi11510
Contributor

DaveinAZ,,

Yes I love that card too! Specially with the grocery shopping and the gas for the car the cashback is definitely worth it. Although I have my eye on the Amax BCE but I'll be patient and I can wait now my last secured card is no longer secured and it came with that credit line increase. I have enough cards now and I'm happy I've come along way in the last three years and I'm thankful

Message 15 of 21
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Maxi11510 wrote:

DaveinAZ,,

Yes I love that card too! Specially with the grocery shopping and the gas for the car the cashback is definitely worth it. Although I have my eye on the Amax BCE but I'll be patient and I can wait now my last secured card is no longer secured and it came with that credit line increase. I have enough cards now and I'm happy I've come along way in the last three years and I'm thankful

That's great, I didn' realize BoA offered Cash Rewards as a secured card. My secured card was just a plain old Visa, not even 1% rewards. With low limit & no rewards I'd only throw $50-60/mo on it. This spring they gave me an auto CLI to $1800, so that's when I called in to see if I could get rewards added, I told the rep I'd use it alot more if it had rewards, and she offered the upgrade to Cash Rewards w/ no HP.

The BCE makes a great companion card, I use BoA just at gas station & gas station convenience store snacks, and BCE at grocery stores, But BCE doesn't code Walmart as grocery (I don't think BoA does either), so I use a 2% card there.

Message 16 of 21
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Maxi11510 wrote:

K-in-Boston,

In this case I agree with you😀!

I just totally read this as you disagreeing with all 900+ of my other posts!  Smiley Mad

+1 DaveInAZ, I also had no clue they offered a secured rewards card.  That's a great option to have for builders/rebuilders!

Message 17 of 21
Maxi11510
Contributor

Yes when I applied for this card I of course was originally denied as unsecured. About 7 days later I received a letter offering me the Rewards card as a secured card, and I've enjoyed it (less the security deposit). I called the number on the letter and they deducted the $1000 out of my account and I received my card within 10 days. Whenever I go grocery shopping that's the card I use, and for gas also depending on whether Discover is having the 5% cash back. 

Message 18 of 21
drboxing
Established Contributor

Id close the BOA secured since youve obtained unsecured cards

Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

How exactly did you do it Dave? I actually just posted a thread asking this. Did you have to go unsecured first? Did you get a CLI first? Or did you just call and request the upgrade?

I'm trying to avoid a hard pull and was hoping to just get a CLI or an Upgrade to the Cash Awards automatically but I guess that isn't going to happen. I am going on 14 months with this thing and not even an auto CLI. I have the button but I did not want to risk the hard pull.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.