cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with MR points?

tag
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

What to do with MR points?

So, I have just over 108K MR points in my name, however, I don’t know what to do with them. What’s the best travel deal to use my points? I currently have the Amex Platinum.

Open to all suggestions, will consider a few, will decide on one. Smiley Tongue

Thanks!
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to do with MR points?


@Jaylima91 wrote:
So, I have just over 108K MR points in my name, however, I don’t know what to do with them. What’s the best travel deal to use my points? I currently have the Amex Platinum.

Open to all suggestions, will consider a few, will decide on one. Smiley Tongue

Thanks!

No offense to your question but that is an impossible one to answer.  Overall the best value for Amex points is to transfer them to airline partners and book award flights.  That is something that you would need to look into yourself because there are all kinds of travel possibilities  and no one but yourself knows where you want to go, where you live, how many are in your travel party, what class of airline seat, preferred airline, dates of travel, etc, etc.  This is something that we can't do for you so my suggestion is to go the Amex rewards program page and start exploring.

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to do with MR points?

I will GLADLY take them off your hands.
Message 3 of 25
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

Re: What to do with MR points?

@irish Hmmm I guess my VAGUE question warranted a VAGUE response.

My question should’ve specified that I want to know what some of you guys are using it for currently. Any specific promos going around with MRs.

I can see where this thread is headed.

Thanks guys. I’ll log in to the Amex website and see what I find.

Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 25
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: What to do with MR points?


@Jaylima91 wrote:
@Anonymous Hmmm I guess my VAGUE question warranted a VAGUE response.

My question should’ve specified that I want to know what some of you guys are using it for currently. Any specific promos going around with MRs.

I can see where this thread is headed.

Thanks guys. I’ll log in to the Amex website and see what I find.

Smiley Happy

There's a British Airways promo. One of their partners is American Airlines.

 

I fly a variety of airlines, but sometimes on short notice, and booking an AA award flight through BA lets me avoid a close-in award booking fee.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to do with MR points?


@Jaylima91 wrote:
So, I have just over 108K MR points in my name, however, I don’t know what to do with them. What’s the best travel deal to use my points? I currently have the Amex Platinum.

Open to all suggestions, will consider a few, will decide on one. Smiley Tongue

Thanks!

This subject takes a fair amount of research. For that amount of points, it's probably worth it for you. I think Irish was pretty good with that response. There are many travel hacking blogs and youtube videos out there that I would recommend just to get a general idea. You should be able to move forward from there. You wont find a specific answer to this question here.

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to do with MR points?

Here's a super broad example: https://slickdeals.net/f/10368088-air-canada-roundtrip-flight-los-angeles-to-nagoya-japan-414-travel...

 

$400 from LA to Japan AND back (LONG layover though). This doesnt specifically help you, but this can give you an idea of what's out there and maybe a better understanding of how to search for it.

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to do with MR points?

I transferred them to British Airways with the 40 percent bonus and used them to book a hotel.  Worked out to be 1.1 cent per MR.  

Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to do with MR points?


@wasCB14 wrote:

@Jaylima91 wrote:
@Anonymous Hmmm I guess my VAGUE question warranted a VAGUE response.

My question should’ve specified that I want to know what some of you guys are using it for currently. Any specific promos going around with MRs.

I can see where this thread is headed.

Thanks guys. I’ll log in to the Amex website and see what I find.

Smiley Happy

There's a British Airways promo. One of their partners is American Airlines.

 

I fly a variety of airlines, but sometimes on short notice, and booking an AA award flight through BA lets me avoid a close-in award booking fee.


One thing to mention is that British  Aveos are worthless when booking American Airline International flights.  And there are three credit cards with big AA sign up bonuses.

Message 9 of 25
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: What to do with MR points?


@Jaylima91 wrote:
My question should’ve specified that I want to know what some of you guys are using it for currently.

I transfer my points to Starwood 3:1, then to Marriott 1:3 to make an even exchange for Membership Rewards.  I typically book rooms during times of higher demand and have been using the 5th night free when redeeming points, so I am effectively getting about 2 cents per point.  2 cents isn't extraordinary, but I try to only rack up MRs on purchases that give me more than 1 MR point and doing this (and Chase UR points to Marriott) is a good way to combine with my primary SPG card to build up massive points without having to think too hard when it comes time to redeem.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.