Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with a new card....

tag
AverageJoe1970
Contributor

What to do with a new card....

For whatever (lame) reason I decided to apply for a Venture One Signature VISA - got approved w/ a $15,000. I have NOT activated the card.

I doubt I'll use the card, as I use a AMEX Blue Cash Preferred card for just about everything - and carry no balance. With the exception of a BoA VISA Signature carrying about $20K interest free through the fall. This puts my ultiization about 20%, so the Venture card would lower that number. That said, in the fall, I'll the BoA card will be completely paid off.

I'm primarily concerned about (a. my stupidity for applying for a card I don't need; b. the Venture card's impact on my AoA over the next 3 years).

What should I do?

Wasn't always this way. Lessons learned.
Scores: Exp838 || Tu840 || Equ839
Credit Card Collection: Chase Sapphire Reserve 48K || Chase United 43K || Barclays Apple 39K || AMEX CASH 37K || BOA CASH 35K || Apple 25K || FNB AMEX 20K || Chase Amazon 15K ||
Utilization: >1%
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to do with a new card....

did you apply to it with a $400 bonus for $3000 spend? cause it may be worth using for the free money at least just to get the bonus since you have it anyway.

Message 2 of 30
CatOfSpades
Frequent Contributor

If you're not in the market for any new loans or anything, the impact doesn't matter. I closed a credit card account in January three days after I opened it (before I even got the card) - the impact was very minimal, maybe 15 points, if that, and that has since been recovered. 

I ran into this same problem just this week. I opened two cards that I don't want or need. I'm still not sure what to do either. I don't want to close them and then change my mind. But if you're sure you don't want it, I don't see any harm in closing it. Especially if you're not going to have anyone reviewing your credit anytime soon. 

♠Queen of Spades♠
Apple Card MC $10,000
BofA Cash Rewards VS $10,000
5/3 Cash/Back WEMC $10,000
Discover IT $7,500
Message 3 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's the venture one, not the venture; so the bonus is only $200 worth.
Message 4 of 30
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

Get the $200 then SD it.

you might change your mind a little later

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 5 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Or just get the $200 and PC it to QS.
Message 6 of 30
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Or just get the $200 and PC it to QS.

Yes, I would recommend doing this.

Message 7 of 30
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@AverageJoe1970 wrote:

For whatever (lame) reason I decided to apply for a Venture One Signature VISA - got approved w/ a $15,000. I have NOT activated the card.

I doubt I'll use the card, as I use a AMEX Blue Cash Preferred card for just about everything - and carry no balance. With the exception of a BoA VISA Signature carrying about $20K interest free through the fall. This puts my ultiization about 20%, so the Venture card would lower that number. That said, in the fall, I'll the BoA card will be completely paid off.

I'm primarily concerned about (a. my stupidity for applying for a card I don't need; b. the Venture card's impact on my AoA over the next 3 years).

What should I do?

Let me just say, it's not a bad card to just keep. It's not doing you any harm.

1. It has a cash reward or a travel benefit depending on which way you choose to redeem.

2. It's an esthetically nice card.

3. Capital One is a company that won't hassle you if you just use the card a little.

4. It periodically will offer you a choice of balance transfer offers: interest-free, or fee-free.

5. It has no annual fee.

6. It has no foreign transaction fees.

My suggestion is just keep it and use it now and then.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 8 of 30
creditguy
Valued Contributor

What should you do? How about activating it.
Message 9 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

that's a great limit they gave you.  acitivate it, having a limit like that on a no annual fee card is a good thing.  besides, you already took the hard pulls for it.  in the future, product change it to the no annual fee quicksilver card.  swipe the card every few months to keep it active.  

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.