Did you mean: 

What to do with a new card....

tag
AverageJoe1970
Contributor

Re: What to do with a new card....

DOH!

@Anonymous wrote:

did you apply to it with a $400 bonus for $3000 spend? cause it may be worth using for the free money at least just to get the bonus since you have it anyway.

Wasn't always this way. Lessons learned.
Scores: Exp838 || Tu840 || Equ839
Credit Card Collection: Chase Sapphire Reserve 48K || Chase United 43K || Barclays Apple 39K || AMEX CASH 37K || BOA CASH 35K || Apple 25K || FNB AMEX 20K || Chase Amazon 15K ||
Utilization: >1%
Message 11 of 30
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@AverageJoe1970 wrote:

DOH!

@Anonymous wrote:

did you apply to it with a $400 bonus for $3000 spend? cause it may be worth using for the free money at least just to get the bonus since you have it anyway.

If it's a Venture One the bonus is $200, but that's still $200 more than you would have had otherwise.  Smiley Wink

The AAoA 'ding' has already taken place, so there's no use in closing it now - you might as well make the best of it.  The 'ding' to your credit score will likely recover quickly, and like you mention it will help with your utilization.  If you need another 'silver lining' the Venture One usually has an APR 1% lower than Venture (and QS), so if by some chance you ever do revolve a balance for a short time there's that. 

Like others have mentioned, once the 'dust settles' you can contact Capital One about having it changed to a Quicksilver... they are both no-AF, but with QS you get 1.5% rewards instead of 1.25% equivalent (by 'equivalent', I'm talking about the "miles", which have redemption restrictions as well).  Some people are able to get a PC right away, and for some others the PC takes a little while longer... in your case it likely won't matter much anyway since neither card has an AF, and it sounds like you won't be using it too much anyway. 

For what it's worth, congrats on the approval... that's a nice SL for a Venture One!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 30
AverageJoe1970
Contributor

I understand what you're all saying. I just hope the card doesn't affect my ability to get CL increases on my other cards, especially AMEX.

Credit Card Collection: Chase Sapphire Reserve 48K || Chase United 43K || Barclays Apple 39K || AMEX CASH 37K || BOA CASH 35K || Apple 25K || FNB AMEX 20K || Chase Amazon 15K ||
Message 13 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Or just get the $200 and PC it to QS.

Exactly. 

Message 14 of 30
AverageJoe1970
Contributor

200 bucks doesn't necessarily justify activating a card.

@Anonymous wrote:

Exactly. 

@Anonymous wrote:

Message 15 of 30
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@AverageJoe1970 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Exactly. 

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree, but if you've already taken the AAoA hit you might as well get out of it whatever you can!  Smiley Wink

(Not activating the card won't prevent it from reporting.)

Message 16 of 30
AverageJoe1970
Contributor

I did the same stupid thing a year ago - the card - never activated - never showed up on my credit report. (Hopefully I'll remember this in the future.)

@UncleB wrote:

@AverageJoe1970 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Exactly. 

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree, but if you've already taken the AAoA hit you might as well get out of it whatever you can!  Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm with what everyone else has said so far..You took the inq hit on 3 CRAs when you applied...Ding one...AAoA is going to take a hit whether you activate it or not...Ding Two...Plus Side: Great starting limit your existing UTL is high you need this boost really...the card has no annual fee....Just having a card doesn't mean you have to use it but using it gives you another plus to getting the bonus whether you want it or need it..it's a plus...you've rebutted everything everyone has said but you asked a question for an opinion..IMO you didn't want an answer lol you wanted validation. Sorry just had to throw that out there.

Message 18 of 30
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@AverageJoe1970 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@AverageJoe1970 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Exactly. 

@Anonymous wrote:

I did the same stupid thing a year ago - the card - never activated - never showed up on my credit report. (Hopefully I'll remember this in the future.)

I guess it's worth a try, but in my experience the account reporting wasn't dependent on it being activated.  I think I may have read that Credit One is an exception, though.

I'll also add that I've always followed though with activating my cards, so my experience might not be representative of a larger sample. 

That being said, I'll add that with Synchrony accounts I've opened most are reporting before I even get them in the mail, so I can say with certainty you can't simply not activate them to keep them from reporting.  Smiley Wink

I simply want things to work out for you whatever that entails... good luck no matter what you decide!  Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Let me just say, it's not a bad card to just keep. It's not doing you any harm.

4. It periodically will offer you a choice of balance transfer offers: interest-free, or fee-free.

My suggestion is just keep it and use it now and then.

This. If the Venture One Signature is anything like the Venture Signature, then you may have an open-ended/perpetual balance transfer offer for 0% APR for 18 months with 2% transfer fee. Combined with the relatively high limits Cap One gives out, this is probably one of the best balance transfer cards out there that doesn't require you to open a new account. Better than Discover with their 3% balance transfer fee. Better than FNBO with their 5.99% APR for life with $0 transfer fee or 0% APR with 3% balance transfer fee.

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.