cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with these 'legacy' high-rate CC's?

tag
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Re: What to do with these 'legacy' high-rate CC's?

@joltdude wrote:

I would not PC any of the OP's chase cards... they wont drop the APR if he PC's them...

So ideally hed APP for a new product, than move the limits off the old cards.. and close em... AND they may get the signup bonus... WIN WIN...

The question is what is the goal.  If the goal is to reduce the OP's APR, then he should app for a low interest CC, probably with a credit union.  I didn't think this was the OP's goal since he stated the balances were 0.

If the goal is to keep your oldest accounts alive in the most economical method, then PC'g them makes sense.  The OP will need to use the cards occasionally to keep the active.  For limited use, it doesn't really matter if the CB is 1% or 5%.  But 5% is better than 1%.  I am assuming the OP will find the rotating categories (gas, resturants, amazon) useful at least a couple of times per year.

Once the OP has completed rebuilding, he can worry about sign up bonuses.  Until then HP's and new TL's should be carefully considered. 

Message 21 of 23
xtdefy
Regular Contributor

I PC'd the Cap One cards to QS with the annual fee... One of them I got the fee waived and the other one's fee hasn't hit, but I'll prob be able to get it waived too.

They were unable to PC them to a non AF card for now but said to try back in 5-6 billing cycles. They also reduced the APR to 13.99 on one and 18.99 on the other.

As far as the Chase ones go... I was told that I could PC them to Freedom or CSP. Since I just went on a pretty hefty app spree, I'll just SD them for now!

Message 22 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@xtdefy wrote:

I PC'd the Cap One cards to QS with the annual fee... One of them I got the fee waived and the other one's fee hasn't hit, but I'll prob be able to get it waived too.

They were unable to PC them to a non AF card for now but said to try back in 5-6 billing cycles. They also reduced the APR to 13.99 on one and 18.99 on the other.

As far as the Chase ones go... I was told that I could PC them to Freedom or CSP. Since I just went on a pretty hefty app spree, I'll just SD them for now!

Definitely don't waste those bonuses for some stinky ol' PC.

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.