Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What triggers Amex SUB payout?

tag
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

What triggers Amex SUB payout?

I received an Amex Gold in mid July. The SUB is 50,000 points/$2,000 spend/3 months.

I received my first statement over the weekend, with a payment due date of Aug. 28. The statement included $1,929 in spending, with all but about $270 paid (I have made six payments already, paying to zero frequently and then using the card beyond that point).

I paid off the statement amount and today, I paid an extra $75 to get over the $2,000 threshold - $2,004 paid to date. I have another $150 or so balance right now as some other charges came out of Pending.

My question is, when should I see the 50K MR points show up? When the statement closes, or will I need to wait an extra month because my statement spend was below $2k? Or sooner, as soon as I have $2k of payments processed? Or other?

Thanks!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What triggers Amex SUB payout?

You’ll get it once $2000 worth of transactions post to your card account. Amex pays SUBs quickly - you’ll probably have it within a day of hitting the spend.
Message 2 of 19
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
You’ll get it once $2000 worth of transactions post to your card account. Amex pays SUBs quickly - you’ll probably have it within a day of hitting the spend.

This is generally true. T/C does state to allow 8-12 weeks for SUB to post. Did you check to verify your account was flagged for SUB?

Message 3 of 19
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

Did you check to verify your account was flagged for SUB?

No, how do I check? Thanks!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hop on chat and ask.

Message 5 of 19
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@KJinNC wrote:

I received an Amex Gold in mid July. The SUB is 50,000 points/$2,000 spend/3 months.

I received my first statement over the weekend, with a payment due date of Aug. 28. The statement included $1,929 in spending, with all but about $270 paid (I have made six payments already, paying to zero frequently and then using the card beyond that point).

I paid off the statement amount and today, I paid an extra $75 to get over the $2,000 threshold - $2,004 paid to date. I have another $150 or so balance right now as some other charges came out of Pending.

My question is, when should I see the 50K MR points show up? When the statement closes, or will I need to wait an extra month because my statement spend was below $2k? Or sooner, as soon as I have $2k of payments processed? Or other?

Thanks!

An extra payment will not trigger the SUB, new charges of $2K or more not including cash advances will trigger the SUB.  

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

And the AF does not count toward it either.
Message 7 of 19
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@KJinNC wrote:

@blindambition wrote:

Did you check to verify your account was flagged for SUB?

No, how do I check? Thanks!

Either through chat, or call. Just say you’re confirming your account shows a SUB offer.

Message 8 of 19
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Thanks, all - I'm on chat now. Confirmed the SUB, and it looks like I am $310 away from qualifying.

That is mostly because I was including the annual fee in the amounts I quoted earlier. The remainder is probably what has or hasn't posted so far. Basically, another $250 of spend/payment should trigger it.

She said I do not need to wait for another statement.

Thanks!

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, it's not based on the statements at all.  It's based on the posted charges minus the AF.  aka Net Spend that posts

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.